SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    HarleyD announces 4 new Model Motorcycles
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

HarleyD announces 4 new Model Motorcycles Login/Join 
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted
Might be in some of the neysayers wheelhouse, one all electric bike for our Green members and three new adventure bikes

At least it's not the same ol same old mans bike so all you guys that were bitching they never get something new or outside the box on the floor, they listened.

4 New HD Models 2019

Harley-Davidson Pan America adventure

975 CC Streetfighter

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Wow, they finally pulled their heads out of their asses a bit. Guess they got tired of not selling bikes. I like the looks of the street fighter, but where is the upright standard? And how much does the adventure weigh?

Posts: 9964 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Did you come from behind
that rock, or from under it?

Picture of Audioholic
posted Hide Post
Gee, I've seen bike #2 before ... could it be ... a Buell S1?

And where did they find the 40's IH parts to make the adventure bike fairing from? Sorta looks like a tractor cowling. Razz

"Every time you think you weaken the nation" Moe Howard

Posts: 2048 | Location: Out standing in my field. | Registered: February 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Its a bitch that HD didn't let Eric Buell run with the ball FIFTEEN years ago.

Posts: 15894 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
These new models are not appealing to me! I prefer the standard design and models.

Posts: 970 | Location: Virginia | Registered: August 03, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Both bikes look pretty cool in my opinion and I've always thought HD needed to diversify their model line up to stay competitive with other motorcycle manufacturers. Other than Indian just about every motorcycle brand has more than one category of bikes. Most have sport bikes, sports touring bikes, cruisers, adventure and retro style motorcycles. I'm not a HD guy so probably won't buy one but I do want to see them continue to build bikes and expand their market.

Posts: 1627 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
The closest thing I've ever had to a motorcycle is an inherited 1970 Honda trail bike, but to me, this one is the best looking of the bunch:

I like most of the way the first one looks but that headlight housing looks like they cut down the front end of a Dodge Charger model car or something.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
I expect to see a red LED moving back and forth on the front of the Pan America.

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16188 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
Nice...finally some bikes that were designed after 1950. <<donning FRC>>

I like the Pan American

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
I am one of those folks that bitches regularly about HD changing a piece of chrome and calling it another “new”model bike when it’s just another cruiser.
Cruisers and baggers, that’s what HD does....

If this is true, and pans out (see what I did there, Pans out, Pan American.) then I will be VERY impressed.
Please let this be for real
Bravo, Harley, bravo.

Of course, the Pan-American is probably gonna weight just shy of 1/2 a ton and cost $35k.....

Posts: 6304 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They won't survive, bet they'll disappear within 2 years. Years back HD had a variant of the V Rod called the Street Rod and it was some serious corner carving bike. Mid mount controls, 130 HP V Rod motor, Brembo Rim Rotor front brakes and inverted front forks. Test rode one and the power reminded me of the Yamaha V Max and the brakes were strong enough you could do a Stoppie with the little finger of the right hand. Unfortunately I didn't have any room in the garage for another bike and this particular V Rod was an invitation to go trolling for tickets every time you pulled out of the driveway.

People just could not wrap there head around a HD Performance bike that was really a serious PERFORMANCE bike. About the only flaw was an instrument cluster mounted so low you felt as if your were looking at your naval when you peaked at the tachometer.

That particular model didn't last two years, which is a shame because it really was a great base to build a Sport Touring bike on. Now they have a Street Rod based on the 1200 cc air cooled motor and as to be expected it's just another Cruiser variant with "black chrome" that beats your tailbone into putty because that is where you have your weight while "cruising" and really hammers that tailbone home because if you hit a railroad crossing you can't do a damned thing to get off the seat due to the forward controls.

PS; if you get the idea that I don't like Forward Controls you would be correct. IMO Ape Hangers and forward controls are abominations on a motorcycle and anyone who buys one of these horrors wont ever be a lifelong rider. They just ride for a year or two and list their but beater on Craigs list for whatever some sucker will pay.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5647 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Dealer show is fast approaching, we got our teasers at the dealership today.

I welcome the Pan America. We've needed a dual sport type bike, last similar bike was the MT series, the military bike in the late 90's. Dealership I was at had one for sale in '99.

The dealership I work at took on a Triumph franchise earlier this year. It will be interesting to see how the Pan does against the Tiger. We shall see.

Hey, at least H-D is trying something new, give them credit.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8104 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
The Pan America looks like a souped up Ruckus.

Posts: 5694 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by k5blazer:
The Pan America looks like a souped up Ruckus.

Well, when they have to photo shop it off the road to make a pic...

Posts: 7357 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The street fighter looks awesome but if it's going to compete with other naked bikes like the Ducati Monster, Triumph Speed Triple, BMW S1000R or one of the Jap bikes it's going to need to have HP ratings somewhere in the neighborhood of 150 +/- plus HD is going to need aggressive marketing for these bikes to let people know they exist.

Posts: 1627 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Audioholic:
Gee, I've seen bike #2 before ... could it be ... a Buell S1?
I was just going to say the best thing they could do would be to bring Buell back.

Posts: 45374 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scooter123:
They won't survive, bet they'll disappear within 2 years. Years back HD had a variant of the V Rod called the Street Rod and it was some serious corner carving bike. Mid mount controls, 130 HP V Rod motor, Brembo Rim Rotor front brakes and inverted front forks. Test rode one and the power reminded me of the Yamaha V Max and the brakes were strong enough you could do a Stoppie with the little finger of the right hand. Unfortunately I didn't have any room in the garage for another bike and this particular V Rod was an invitation to go trolling for tickets every time you pulled out of the driveway.

People just could not wrap there head around a HD Performance bike that was really a serious PERFORMANCE bike.

Sadly this is always the case when Harley tries to make anything other than what they already have. What technology they do embrace has to be carefully camouflaged as to not offend their customer base. I'm 6'3" with long arms so the typical HD seating position is way too low for me. I looked at a Road King with the police seat and found that to rival my BMW GS in terms of comfort. The level of tech on the new bikes is impressive, but the styling is circa 1973.

Speaking about the GS, I can't see the Pan America taking off of lasting more than three model years. Aimed squarely at not their market with absolutely zero after market support I think it's DOA.

Posts: 7073 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Pan America is one of the ugliest bikes I have ever seen however the "Buell-is" street fighter has some potential

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
I don't ride, but those look awesome!

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12417 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
Hmm, we'll see how those bikes actually pan out, but those are the first Harleys with any promise since Buell went away. Now we wait to see if they're actually going develop an engine worth riding to put in it. I'm excited to see them once again make an effort at building interesting bikes.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post