SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Gearheads and Machinists: Turn of the Century Steam-Powered Machine Shop
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gearheads and Machinists: Turn of the Century Steam-Powered Machine Shop Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted

This guy has a complete machine shop running off a steam powered line shaft.

There are 20 videos in the series, be careful you don't disappear down the rabbit hole!

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15229 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted Hide Post
I could watch stuff like that for hours. OSHA would have serial conniption fits over the web of belts, flywheels, and gears without guards as well as various other issues. Thankfully, they didn't exist when this equipment was in its heyday.

Thanks for posting.

Posts: 7311 | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
Very cool. Thanks for sharing.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15482 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Neat!

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17277 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Very cool. Thanks for sharing.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16398 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
Thanks for this,man I got excited when he showed the 1927 south bend.
I have one and enjoy working it,I would kill for that oil can.
He turns cast too fast for my liking.I have used this one to turn down model A ford flywheels.has a 13 inch throw.
I have a bigger older lathe than his big lathe.
It is a bare to operate and I mastered thirty years ago.
Mine are pully run with v belts and electric motors.
The south bend has d/c variable electronic controls
This man has some cool old machines.

Posts: 22410 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sabonim
Picture of Wayniac
posted Hide Post
Very cool. Thanks for posting.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride! ~Hunter S. Thompson

Posts: 1438 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
Steam was used a lot longer than a lot of folks realize, too. My grandfather was a master machinist and worked on steam driven gear.

He also ran an oil lease in southwestern NY. I still remember him taking me out to walk in the woods with him as he checked his wells. The pumping jacks were pretty ancient. They were all driven from a central pumphouse with a steam boiler. This drove a big horizontal wheel to which were connected iron pushrods; these were segmented and ran through the woods to each jack. the reciprocating motion worked the jacks.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I worked as a fireman a couple of times on a steam crane - crane was scrapped about 1990. 1990, I inspected 6 steam cranes still in use. Last on I saw still working was dismantled in 2006.

Lots of maintenance, 2 or 3 people need to operate, and LOTS of fuel to run. All were diesel fired. Rule of thumb was that it took three times the fuel to the same amount of work as an internal combustion engine.

Posts: 974 | Location: Confluence of Mississippi & Ohio Rivers | Registered: October 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Brass Pounder
Picture of roustabout
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zoom6zoom:
Steam was used a lot longer than a lot of folks realize, too. My grandfather was a master machinist and worked on steam driven gear.

He also ran an oil lease in southwestern NY. I still remember him taking me out to walk in the woods with him as he checked his wells. The pumping jacks were pretty ancient. They were all driven from a central pumphouse with a steam boiler. This drove a big horizontal wheel to which were connected iron pushrods; these were segmented and ran through the woods to each jack. the reciprocating motion worked the jacks.

Very interesting video. I like the old machinery. My dad also ran oil leases in Texas with the power wheel attached to rods running a number of pumpjacks. The engine was a huge single cylinder natural gas engine, as the steam model had been retired due to the abundance of free casinghead gas. My brother and I used to ride back and forth on the reciprocating rods that ran to the pumping units. He now has a large collection of Black Bear and Superior engines he fires up once in a while to watch them run. OSHA would be horrified at the open moving parts and huge flywheels on them.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 1017 | Registered: August 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
Very interesting, enjoyed watching that - thanks for posting!

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3791 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
He's got some cool old knob & tube wiring in that shop too.

Posts: 33807 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sauer Kraut
posted Hide Post
Thanks, very cool. Love the sound of a stream engine

Posts: 729 | Location: Middle (of nowhere) Georgia  | Registered: December 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Very cool.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Steam driven machines were gradually replaced by electric motors. But the machines remained driven by flat belts for quite a while. During the time I spent in a millwork shop, many of our machines retained the flat belt drive and overhead motors, but electric. Our 6" molder with 15hp electric motor would actually shake the concrete foundation when it fired up.

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
cool....looks like a major safety hazard ?

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3477 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
That was terrific!

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11145 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PR64:
cool....looks like a major safety hazard ?
They were! As has been mentioned, OSHA folks would have a coronary.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post