SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Can we have a serious pixular conversation? Just for a few minutes, I promise.

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Can we have a serious pixular conversation? Just for a few minutes, I promise. Login/Join 
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted
So sis emailed me an image of the nieces and nephews romping around an area farm adjacent to a historic park. It's a good pic, and the oldest is looking like a young man. I figure it'll make a nice picture.

Image size: 4032 x 3024 pixels
Image DPI: 72 pixels/inch

The art store Design Center has fantastic archival paper choices. For $10, I can get a nice 10" x 8" print for one of the kids.

The Design Center wants 300 DPI. Well, it depends with whom you speak. Their rotating cast of aspiring directors and cinematographers possess varying degrees of background.

My mousey program says 4032 x 3024 pixels is 56" x 42" @ 72 DPI. Will shrinking the image to 10" x 8" give me more end resolution?

posted Hide Post
Sort of.

As long as you don't shrink the image. Just adjust the dimensions OR the DPI but not both. Your image at 300 DPI will be 13.44" x 10.08" as long as you don't change the current image.

Posts: 134 | Location: Southern Arizona | Registered: September 20, 2009Report This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
I'll leave this up to the Design Center people.
See if they can cypher it. I'm flummoxed.

When I switch DPI to 300, image size jumps to 16800 x 12600 pixels.
Interestingly, inch size remains 56 x 42 ... <scratching head emoticon>

Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Thanks, AZ, for putting me on the right track.

Reducing image size, like you said, reduced file size to 144KB. No good.

The "trick" is to uncheck RESAMPLE IMAGE. This lets DPI jump up when image shrinks. 3MB image remains 3MB.

A few words from ephotozine helped out also.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodman:
When I switch DPI to 300, image size jumps to 16800 x 12600 pixels.
Interestingly, inch size remains 56 x 42 ... <scratching head emoticon>

Yes. That is because the software is changing both the resolution and the dimensions. In Photoshop for example you can uncheck "Resample Image" when changing DPI or dimensions. That is what you need to do on yours.

You can also send the file as-is to your Design Center people and they will know how to do it. Just be sure to clearly specify that you want it printed with the original being no less than 300DPI. You will be able to tell the difference on the final print.

Posts: 134 | Location: Southern Arizona | Registered: September 20, 2009Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Perfect timing! That is the solution.

Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Hahahahaha!!! Look at the time stamp! Thanks, AZ.

Dick Blick has 50% off at their design center starting today. I ordered two prints on nice paper.

Brought both versions (the kid had already seen the image via email). Although he exhibited the detached distracted characteristics of many of our youth - the "No Problem" generation - he was aware of the "Resample Image" box on his resizing program. His DPI ended up slightly less than mine, just under 400, vs a little over for me. "No Problem", I imagine. Smile