SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Bryce and Zion
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bryce and Zion Login/Join 
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
Kanab is the place to stay. Hub and spoke.

Look at the map - North Rim, Lake Powell, Bryce, Zion and everything else.

The Springdale entrance is the worst one with the longest lines to get in but even more important than that is there are the most spectacular sites in Zion are only seen from the East entrance. The Springdale entrance has all the panache and views of driving into a Walmart parking lot.

I've done Zion a number of times from Kanab and just get there by the time the park opens. Going through the Mike long tunnel is something never seen on the Springdale side.

Posts: 4069 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
Sorry, I live here and I can guarantee you'll be disappointed staying in Kanab for Zion and Bryce. It's 29 miles from Kanab to the East entrance, then you have to go 12 miles to the VC. Along the way is the mile long tunnel, the wait can be 20 minutes if buses and RVs are using it. You're well over an hour and then you need to wait for a shuttle, can be over an hour!

Stay in Springdale, get an early shuttle. You're hours ahead!

I love Kanab and base out of it for that area but wouldn't think about it for Zion/Bryce.

The East side of Zion is my favorite and if you don't want to see the Main Canyon, do the iconic hikes, then consider Kanab.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3388 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
At Jacob's Well
Picture of jaaron11
posted Hide Post
If you opt to hike the Narrows, which I recommend, do yourself a favor and get some good closed toe water shoes or sandals.

J

Rak Chazak Amats

Posts: 5281 | Location: SW Missouri | Registered: May 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
I won't disagree on the distance but the time isn't that bad, if at all, if you're there on the East side at the crack of dawn. Did that in mid June last year and there was no line at the entrance or the tunnel however the only place you can see any bighorn sheep is on the East side and the last two times there a half dozen or so were off the road only yards away from the road in the brush just after the entrance.

I think in the end it doesn't matter how you get to Zion because that place is awesome once you're there. It's a great place.

Posts: 4069 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
I've stayed here a couple of times. Rooms were clean but like everything else reservations way ahead are a must. https://www.bumbleberry.com/

Posts: 2303 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by UTsig:
Sorry, I live here and I can guarantee you'll be disappointed staying in Kanab for Zion and Bryce. It's 29 miles from Kanab to the East entrance, then you have to go 12 miles to the VC. Along the way is the mile long tunnel, the wait can be 20 minutes if buses and RVs are using it. You're well over an hour and then you need to wait for a shuttle, can be over an hour!

Stay in Springdale, get an early shuttle. You're hours ahead!

I love Kanab and base out of it for that area but wouldn't think about it for Zion/Bryce.

The East side of Zion is my favorite and if you don't want to see the Main Canyon, do the iconic hikes, then consider Kanab.

I lived in Kanab, still have relatives there. I lived in some of the smaller surrounding communities, too. This is a great time to stay in Kanab, both for room availability, and price.

Lines in Zion aren't bad at all; this isn't tourist season. Bryce is a non-issue.

If it were just a bit later in the year, a trip out to North Rim is a don't-miss.

Watch out for deer.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post