SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Bryce and Zion
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bryce and Zion Login/Join 
Picture of jerkyjer
posted
Saw the Spring Break thread and thought Id be specific with my ask. Heading to Utah canyon country later this mo. Any suggestions as to what to see. Looks like Angels landing is challenging but beautiful.
This site really is the best place to co,e for good solid intel. Thanks all.

War Eagle!

Posts: 206 | Registered: April 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Been to Zion a couple of times. Awesome park. The Narrows hike is very nice...

We are planning a Bryce trip this summer.

Posts: 905 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been to both twice. Zion is very nice, but the shuttle bus transportation is a bit annoying in peak times. There are easy walks as well and challenging. Bryce is my absolute favorite! Very unique landscape. Don't underestimate the time needed to ascend the switchbacks.

Posts: 8955 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
I live very near Zion, a couple of hours from Bryce. I'll try answer any specific questions you have. Here are two sites that I recommend to people coming to the area:

http://www.citrusmilo.com/zionguide/

http://www.zionnational-park.com/is.htm

For Zion you'll want to stay in Springdale, it's right outside the West entrance. For Bryce you really only have the Ruby's complex, I've stayed at the BW. I'd recommend most of the time in Zion with an overnight at Bryce.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3397 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We went to both parks in 2016. Bryce is like - road up and back with some side roads available and hikes if you want. We found it mostly pull off the road and look st pretty vistas and canyons. Zion seemed like more actual walks and hikes available. Do the narrows in the water or not. We didn’t do angels landing my kids were too small. A kid just fell off that a week or two ago.

We stayed in Hurricane and also checked out the Grand Canyon entrance from there as well only about a 2 hour drive or so. Also in st George there’s a state/city park that’s pretty nice and they filmed a lot of old westerns there and in fact I found ( slightly off trail) a very old 5in1 blank that I’m pretty sure was shot during a cowboy movie filming.

Ive been to a lot of parks and first land living in the west my whole life in Zion was the only place I’ve ever seen a bighorn sheep in the wild. That was pretty cool.

Posts: 4765 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Donate Blood,
Save a Life!
Picture of StarTraveler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
I've been to both twice. Zion is very nice, but the shuttle bus transportation is a bit annoying in peak times. There are easy walks as well and challenging. Bryce is my absolute favorite! Very unique landscape. Don't underestimate the time needed to ascend the switchbacks.

We went to both several years ago and returned to Bryce a few days later to see more and do a trail ride. The horses can’t go into the park, but the trail is close to the fence part of the way giving some nice views. My daughters loved it.

We made the long trek from Brian Head to the North Rim of the GC on that trip, too. I loved the views but the girls complained about us going that far for “this?” Lol. It is a long drive and the amenities at the North Rim are limited in comparison to the South Rim. Edit: Just checked and found that the North Rim is currently closed and not scheduled to reopen until May 15.

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam (I will either find a way or make one)." -- Hannibal Barca

Posts: 2104 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
I did Zion about two years ago. We did it in the offseason so the crowds were not bad. Easy to get on the shuttle bus when we went but a friend went in the summer and sent me a picture of 100's of people waiting for the shuttle. I wouldn't want to do that.

We used AirB&B and stayed in La Verkin. It was about a 20-minute drive or so to Zion. Stuff in Springdale was a little too pricey when we looked.

Angles Landing is a fun hike. It's what everyone does there so expect others on your hike. As someone who would rather not have crowds in the outdoors, I enjoyed the hike. If your there and can do it I think you have to.

We wanted to do the Narrow but they hadn't opened them yet. One of the chances you take of going into the offseason. We did hook up with Zion Adventure Company for some rock climbing. Paid a little extra so we had a private guide without others thrown in with us.

There is a short easy hike with amazing views. I can't remember the name of it. If you enter from the Springdale side you drive up all the switchbacks and through the tunnels. At the top, there is a short trail. Parking is limited to two small lots so get there early. I think it's about a one-mile easy hike but you get amazing views.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16397 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
Often passed by but needs to be seen. http://boulderutah.com/

Posts: 2306 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by valkyrie1:
Often passed by but needs to be seen. http://boulderutah.com/

That picture is of the Burr Trail Rd, starts in Boulder and runs to Capitol Reef N.P. Most folks drive it through Long Canyon, pictured, and come back to Boulder. You can continue when the pavement ends, go down some switchbacks and drive to Torrey. High clearance recommended and only when dry.

Posts: 3397 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I've been to both parks a couple of times and the scenery is beautiful. I'm not a hiker, so am confined to the areas that can be reached by vehicles, but they are still great places to visit.

If you're interested, my photos of those visits are here:
Bryce Canyon NP: https://www.flickr.com/photos/...s/72157632915598563/

Zion NP: https://www.flickr.com/photos/...s/72157632919669264/

Enjoy your trip!

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
I prefer the Observation Point hike over the Angel's Landing hike. Observation Point has fewer people, and a more varied terrain taking you through some canyons and etc. At the end, you are up higher than Angel's Landing and you get a nice view down into the whole valley with Angel's Landing down on the middle.

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
^^^ I agree with this, I've done both hikes and by far OP was my favorite. The view, Angel's Landing in the center:

Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
I came through Zion in late May 2016, thinking I could find camping no problem. Labor Day week proved otherwise. Still, I found a trail near Kolob Canyon, deserted of visitors, and had it all to myself for hours.

Cedar City was lodging for me that trip. The tap water was better than bottled water (Comfort Inn tap water).

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
I don't believe I've been to Observation Point. That needs to go on my list....

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3299 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by UTsig:
I live very near Zion, a couple of hours from Bryce. I'll try answer any specific questions you have. Here are two sites that I recommend to people coming to the area:

http://www.citrusmilo.com/zionguide/

http://www.zionnational-park.com/is.htm

For Zion you'll want to stay in Springdale, it's right outside the West entrance. For Bryce you really only have the Ruby's complex, I've stayed at the BW. I'd recommend most of the time in Zion with an overnight at Bryce.

Stay in Kanab for all of it, save yourself a bit of change, and everything is close.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
We thought we’d head over there early this summer, unless we drive to Nashville.

Posts: 13255 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
quote:

Angles Landing is a fun hike.

Yea, if you like conveyor belts. Once you reach the fun/dangerous part, you can't stop to enjoy. Still worth it I guess, just to be able to say you did it. A 13-year old girl fell off in February.

Posts: 4010 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Zion is beautiful...the narrows hike is a lot of fun with kids, and nothing to fall off of. It is crowded, though, as is Bryce.

Hwy 12 is possibly the most beautiful stretch of road I have ever driven. There are also plenty of trailheads and places to stop along the route...I wish we had had more time when we drove it...I would love to go back and spend a week just exploring the area. The scenery is comparable to the national parks, but there are far fewer people.

Posts: 8567 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hwy 12 is possibly the most beautiful stretch of road I have ever driven.

Agreed. If you have time you should drive this. Images Also 24 (goes through Capitol Reef NP), 95 (Natural Bridges NM is on the southern end) and 261.

Posts: 27951 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
Someone mentioned Kanab as a good place to stay, it isn't! You're over an hour from the Zion main canyon, parking at the VC fills up by 9 AM, probably closer to 8. You would need to park in Springdale and they are now charging $20.00/day anywhere close to the park. Staying in Springdale, you can hop on the town free shuttle to the park entrance, or walk from your hotel. To get some peace in Zion you should be on the first couple of shuttles into the park, avoid the later crowds.

Bryce is terrific, staying there lets you experience Sunrise/Sunset. Bryce is not just pullouts with views. Hiking into the Hoodoos is the best way to experience it, the hike out is tough, though.

Extended trips are needed to reach out to other areas.