SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Should I buy a jeep?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Should I buy a jeep? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DamageInc:
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
'86 was the last year of the "real" Jeeps.

Nope. The TJ, LJ, and JK are better in every way.

To me they're all real Jeeps (Willy's, CJs, YJ, TJ, JK, LJ) Some claimed the YJ's weren't real Jeeps because of rectangular headlights or TJ etc aren't real Jeeps because of sloping hood lines.. Huh? lol

Posts: 1804 | Location: Austin TX | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DamageInc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
if you want to fit in to a particular "click" sure go ahead . its easy to be like everyone else.

or
theres the bronco
http://classicvehicleslist.com...ve-4x4-hard-top.html

I think the word you were looking for is "clique". But Jeeps are almost infinitely customizable, with far more aftermarket options than an old Bronco, so they can be as unique as you want them to be. Old Broncos are getting tough to find, and expensive for a nice one.

I bought a Jeep because I like Jeeps, not to be part of any "clique". I don't give a rat's ass about what other people drive, or how popular my choice is.

Posts: 3412 | Registered: June 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DamageInc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by saigonsmuggler:
quote:
quote:

To me they're all real Jeeps (Willy's, CJs, YJ, TJ, JK, LJ) Some claimed the YJ's weren't real Jeeps because of rectangular headlights or TJ etc aren't real Jeeps because of sloping hood lines.. Huh? lol

And I'm sure they will say the same about the 2018 JL, even if it's not true.

I doubt that the JL will have any radical changes. They sell like hotcakes, so it would be dumb to turn it into a minivan, like they did with the Grand Cherokee. I just hope it has a V8 option this time.

Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:

quote:

OK... I like them all too. But... 1986 was the last year of the Jeep as an independent company.
The former Chrysler Corporation acquired the Jeep brand, along with the remaining assets of its owner American Motors, in 1987.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24069 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DamageInc
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

quote:

To me they're all real Jeeps (Willy's, CJs, YJ, TJ, JK, LJ) Some claimed the YJ's weren't real Jeeps because of rectangular headlights or TJ etc aren't real Jeeps because of sloping hood lines..Huh? lol

OK... I like them all too. But... 1986 was the last year of the Jeep as an independent company.
The former Chrysler Corporation acquired the Jeep brand, along with the remaining assets of its owner American Motors, in 1987.

Ummm... Jeep wasn't an independent company in 1986. As you alluded to, they were owned by American Motors, who purchased Jeep in 1970. The YJ still had a lot of the AMC Jeep design in it, then the TJ had some left, and the JK has almost nothing left from the AMC days....which is a good thing. AMC wasn't known for their engineering prowess. They simply didn't have the budget to compete with the engineering departments of the big 3.

Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
OK... You win! Cool
No, you are right. They were AMC (which I just considered to be Jeep, because other than Jeep AMC was nothing).
I guess I just liked them the most in the '80's because my friends had them and I really wanted one. Big Grin

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24069 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You know you're driving a real Jeep when fellow Jeepers wave at you and you wave back. Wink

Posts: 1804 | Location: Austin TX | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Avoid the 1987 CJ7. Had one. Cost me several thousand before I gave up on it. Chrysler screwed up just about everything they could in the transition from AMC.

Prior to that, had a 1979 CJ7 with the straight-6. Great engine! Pre-computer days. Constantly chased electrical issues, but learned a lot in the process. If I could have stayed out of mud back then, I probably wouldn't have had quite so many issues Big Grin

Currently have a 2004 SE 4-cylinder. Underpowered, but fun as hell! Cool

Posts: 1361 | Registered: October 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by saigonsmuggler:
quote:
quote:

My jeep was built by Ford.

Posts: 10913 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
"real" Jeeps?
Weren't they last built by Bantam?
Or perhaps even Willys?
Or any of a number of intermediary successors whose major success came from selling their interest to the next outfit that came up with the corporate bucks?

"Jeep" is a bit like the successive generations of the fictional Starship Enterprise.....each iteration has incredible improvements over the previous versions. Or the Navy USS Enterprise in it's own generational upgrades.

While I too yearned for such wonders as the CJ8 Scrambler etc, my real favorite 'real Jeep' was a 1954 Willys Overland. Perfect size/configuration for my needs. Oddly enough, mighty close to the JKU, which actually has decent power train/suspension/creature comforts[yes an odd term to use in a 'Jeep' post] and RELIABILITY.

My JKs are actually the first of the breed I'm confident would take me coast to coast without issue.

Despite platinum-level care the only reliable feature of my nearly new 1976 J2000 was a miserable shit bag of electrical gremlins & random refusal to run. It's virtues were simply inadequate and soured me on the marque for 20 years.

But on the 8th day the JK was born. The new 3.6 engine and AT are both perfect upgrades for my use as DD. My M100 Bantam ammo trailer makes a suitable package for 99.9% of my hauling needs.

Years back I thanked rburg for some off line advise on what to avoid & what to look for, and do such today as his experience helped at a crucial moment solving the 'should I buy a Jeep' question.....

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9853 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
My DD is a 2012 Sport. 65K miles on it, warranty claims have been for a creaking seat, a wind noise in the windshield, a wiper switch and replacing the door hinges because of bubbling paint.

If you saw the amount of warranty/extended warranty claims on my last GM vehicle, a 2004 Sierra, this pales in comparison.

And to add insult to injury, I'm still a GM dealership parts person, at least for 49 more days.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8099 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
I just hope it has a V8 option this time.

Why? Have you even driven one of the new (2012-2017) 285 hp V6s? As I recall, my old CJ7 came with all of 185 horsepower in the 304. It didn't come alive until I put headers and a 4 barrel on it. Still kind of a dog because I was dumb and put a Holley carb on it. Flooded when you looked at it. I did put a 360 in my 83, but it didn't make gobs of horsepower. Maybe 250 on a good day. Not too many of those.

The V6 doesn't make gobs of torque, but when its geared well, you make up for it by running presentable RPM.

Maybe the worst thing to be said about the new ones are the aftermarket chip makers don't work fast. Guess it doesn't matter all that much. The stock JK will cruise at 80 in Utah regardless of the uphill. Yeah, the engine kind of screams on steep uphill. Stock CJs, YJs or TJs are hard pressed to run that speed (legal) on the flat for any length of time. The early JKs were dogs, too. They finally come out with a Mercedes designed V6 and folks who haven't driven them still complain.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18387 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

You want low end torque, get an FJ. Smile The cost of an an old one and a good rebuild will be comparable, as long as you get a good AZ frame.

Same wheelbase, but will go uphill in 1-low at idle.

Posts: 10784 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a very clean 2006 TJ Rubicon w/ 6 speed manual on 33's. Its my cabin car - maybe 26,000 miles - great toy.

Been to Moab once with it - what a hoot !

MDS

Posts: 376 | Registered: November 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Harleysbluff:

Been to Moab once with it -

When did you go? To a Jeep Safari I would hope.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18387 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:

You want low end torque, get an FJ. Smile The cost of an an old one and a good rebuild will be comparable, as long as you get a good AZ frame.

Same wheelbase, but will go uphill in 1-low at idle.

My old Rubi with stock 4:1 xfer case, stock 4.10s, 33-in tires, 3-in lift will crawl up any hill and over any rock that didn't high center it - at idle, 1-low.

stock 31's on TJ or 32's on JK would idle crawl even better on 1-low. On flat ground, you can release the clutch on idle 3-low and it would not stall.

That crawl ratio in manual is a dream descending steep hills in Colorado and Utah, the kind that made my a** puckered up as the hood dropped from blue sky to ground.

I've been telling my teenage daughter that the Rubicon is probably the best vehicle to teach someone new to stick shift on a dirt patch as the vehicle won't stall when the new driver invariably dump the clutch.

Picture of DamageInc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:
quote:
I just hope it has a V8 option this time.

Why? Have you even driven one of the new (2012-2017) 285 hp V6s?

Why? The same reason my 500 pound snowmobile has 160 horsepower: it's fun.

But there is a practical aspect. When you put a V8 in a lifted Jeep, gas mileage typically goes up, because it's not working as hard to spin those big wheels and buck the wind. And I would never drive a Jeep with the tiny stock wheels.

Yes, I have driven the Pentastar.

Picture of DamageInc
posted Hide Post
quote:
OK... You win! Cool
No, you are right. They were AMC (which I just considered to be Jeep, because other than Jeep AMC was nothing).
I guess I just liked them the most in the '80's because my friends had them and I really wanted one. Big Grin

How can you call them "nothing"? What other car maker had amazing models like the Pacer, Gremlin, Hornet, Concord, and Spirit? Big Grin When ya think about it, it's actually pretty amazing that they stayed in business as long as they did. Other than the Javelin and Jeep, I can't think of another model that is worth owning. It's as though they were trying to make the ugliest, shittiest cars possible.

O.P.: did you start Jeep shopping yet? At least you are down south, so rust shouldn't be as much of an issue. Just look underneath well, and check the Carfax to make sure that it's not from up north.

Picture of 45_Auto
posted Hide Post
Opinions are like assholes...everyone has one.
If you want a Jeep, then buy one!

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
A Veteran is someone who wrote a blank check Made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'Up to and including their life'.
That is Honor. Unfortunately there are way too many people in this Country who no longer understand that.

Posts: 2306 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: November 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post