SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Should I buy a jeep?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Should I buy a jeep? Login/Join 
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
All I want out of life (besides the health of my kids and loved ones) is a CJ5. The older and better shape, the more I want it.

Not for off roading as much as riding around with no top and no doors.

Unfortunately, every time I get enough reserve saved up, something else needs a few grand. And now the goal is to get enough saved for a down payment on a house. So, alas, the Jeep must wait for another day.

Me personally, if I had 10-12k for a jeep, I'd be looking at a restored 60s/70s CJ5. But my only experience is my romantic imagination.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11446 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Not what you are looking for, but I'm a jeep fan.

I remember riding to church in the late 50's in the back of a civilian model. My dad was a fan after he came back from WWII. Dairy farmer. Man what I would give for either of the two he had now!

Wife had a Cherokee a long time, wore it out, but now only have a Comanche that I bought new in 1989. I've told my wife to bury me in it!

Only regret is I didn't spring for the $900 dealer installed AC. But I really couldn't afford it at the time.

Used to be real sharp, now just a beater...

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4118 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
I guess it depends what on what you are wanting it for.
I would get a Land Cruiser.

Man have you got that balls on. If you want to be repairing and upgrading constantly, then Jeep is your vehicle. I wheeled Toyota Land Cruisers and 4runners for years.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
Nothing, nothing in truck stye beats a Jeep. We all have different criteria, mine's to be secure off road and getting there.

You're looking for a fun weekend vehicle, Jeep would be great. 4Runners, LC etc just can't be as much fun.

Later TJs would be my choice, you should be able to find something to suit you. Manual if you like that, I went with Auto in my TJ and JK. Don't get too caught up in accessories, get a nice stock one and then figure out what you want.

Have fun!!!

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3388 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Don't get too caught up in accessories, get a nice stock one and then figure out what you want.

agree

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9849 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
TJ unlimited would be my grail jeep. I will probably get one in a few years.

Posts: 5405 | Registered: April 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

You're looking for a fun weekend vehicle, Jeep would be great. 4Runners, LC etc just can't be as much fun.

Dunno, this looks like fun to me!

IDPA ESP SS

Posts: 964 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: January 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Looks fun yes, not practical for many of us.

Posts: 6132 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
All I want out of life (besides the health of my kids and loved ones) is a CJ5. The older and better shape, the more I want it.

Not for off roading as much as riding around with no top and no doors.

I'd be looking at a restored 60s/70s CJ5. But my only experience is my romantic imagination.

My favorites are the early '80's CJ7. '82-86
Laredo or Jamboree if I could find one....
'86 was the last year of the "real" Jeeps.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23945 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
I would have a Jeep if I never had to drive it over 30 miles or over 55 mph.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10474 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
A newer 80 series or older 100 series can also be easily had within your budget and do pretty much anything a Jeep can do unless you are wanting the Jeep specifically to ride without a top or doors.

a short Rubicon cannot do something like hauling a ton of shit to the campsite (unless you pull a trailer), but an LC definitely cannot do the hard stuff like a Rubicon can. Uh nope. Not at the similar configurations like lift level, tires, etc.

Just the size alone would leave the big late series LC out of some tight trails. Not to mention Rubi's short wheelbase, which is usually an advantage, more often than not, crazy crawl ratio, lockers, sway disconnect, solid axles, etc.

Posts: 1803 | Location: Austin TX | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the responses, I've looked for a plain jeep but everything in this age/price range has at least a few things done, most often oversized tires & a lift. I'll use it on Friday's, to drive to the lake now and then and on local errands so the lift/tires don't bother me. Black, trust me if I could get a Cruiser I would but that's a toy for after the kids get out of school, then it's an FJ40.

Posts: 1702 | Location: Alpharetta, GA | Registered: September 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
This time of year I miss my 1976 Toyota Landcruiser. In summer I'd remove the top and doors and not put them back on till fall. A little rain never hurt and I couldn't afford a rag top conversion.

I paid $5400 brand new and sold it 5-6 years later for darn near that.

I was involved in 2 accidents. The first one totaled the Civic that rear ended me and the second pealed open a Buick like the Titanic who wanted my lane more than I did.

Total damage was under $150 from both wrecks.

They don't make em like that any more.

Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4216 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Those complaining about the expense of owning a jeep haven't seen the cost of Toyota parts. If the dealer does it, its significantly worse. There are a lot of shops that work on jeeps, and it would be hard to do a worse job than most dealers.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DamageInc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JonDaddy82:
Off road snob and general car guy here, so I'll come out and say it. Jeeps are pieces of shit. They ride terrible. Handle terrible. Stop terrible, and in general are just terrible to live with. HOWEVER, if you are looking to trail ride and rock crawl all weekend, they fit that role well. For a true off road vehicle I would much prefer a Toyota of various types depending on the mission.

Hell, I'd die if they came back out with a solid axel full sized Blazer.

Are you one of those people who haven't driven a Jeep that was made since they had leaf springs, and thinks they are still the same?

TJ/LJ and JK don't ride bad at all (especially the longer wheelbase Unlimiteds). I have an LJ, and it rides about the same as my F150. And they can ride even better with the right aftermarket suspension.

They also stop just fine, since they have 4-wheel disc brakes now.

Handle bad? Well yeah, compared to a low-slung car. They handle just fine, compared to other 4WD vehicles. And the short wheelbase make them really fun in the snow, and easy to park.

And the best part? Driving around without a top and doors, on a nice summer day. There is nothing else made like that today.

Posts: 3412 | Registered: June 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DamageInc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
'86 was the last year of the "real" Jeeps.

Nope. The TJ, LJ, and JK are better in every way.

Posts: 3412 | Registered: June 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
Two CJ7s and, three Cherokees in the past, now a Grand Cherokee. All have been great. I kept the CJs for 10 years and 20 years. Had the three Cherokees over a span of 15 years. Ran them 200k each. Yeah, I'm a fan. A Jeep is more than a vehicle, it's a lifestyle.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
uber-geek
Picture of rwdflynavy
posted Hide Post
I love my 2012 JK Unlimited. The six speed manual is fun to drive. I've got a Besttop softtop that is super easy to put up and down, so I ride with the top down whenever I can.

"To disarm the people is the most effectual way to enslave them." ~George Mason

chartprepping.com Retirement Planning and Random Musings from a Military Perspective

Posts: 3391 | Location: Big Lick Virginia | Registered: April 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
My wife has a 2016 Sahara. She loves it. It's basically a mall crawler, 5 minute commute to work vehicle.

I do enjoy it, and it's a lot of fun. The gas mileage blows though.

Jondaddy82, what are you taking about? It rides smooth like an SUV...it's almost too similar to an SUV for me.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
if you want to fit in to a particular "click" sure go ahead . its easy to be like everyone else.

or
theres the bronco
http://classicvehicleslist.com...ve-4x4-hard-top.html

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54501 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post