SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Should I buy a jeep?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Should I buy a jeep? Login/Join 
posted
ok Jeep people, I'm thinking about a Jeep as a play car, have a budget of around 10 max 12K so it looks like a 1998-2005 depending on mileage. What I've seen so far are in decent shape, all have different mods so direct comparison is tough, what do I look for and what do I avoid? Do I need a hard top? Are there different types of lifts to walk away from? Does automatic hurt the resale in a 2 door? Fire away ....and thanks in advance.

Posts: 1702 | Location: Alpharetta, GA | Registered: September 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fvyellowbird
posted Hide Post
Rust, number one issue to look for! On the '04 & '05s, there is the OPDA issue. Not a big deal to fix, but needs to be done before it goes bad, in which case it can ruin your day. I have an '05 that I love. If it's just a weekend vehicle vs a DD, it's hard to go wrong. I'd look for one that didn't have too many mods on it, tough to know what's been done correctly or not by a PO. Stock also means it probably hasn't been thrashed Get one and enjoy it!

Hell, is other people! J-P S

Posts: 1140 | Location: St Simons Island, Georgia USA! | Registered: October 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43867 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Do you live near any ORV trails? If the answer is yes then yes you should absolutely get a Jeep. Heck, even if you don't like off-roading Jeeps are still fun. As mentioned previously lookout for rust. Personally I'd try to find a stock one and modify it to my taste but I suppose you can save some money buying one that's already lifted and on bigger tires.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21099 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes you should! My whole family drives them and are satisfied overall with the vehicles. My dad has an '05 Rocky Mountain edition with big tires and a lift. It's a fun Jeep but not a great daily driver. I have a '12 Liberty and love it.

Toledo Proud.

Posts: 545 | Location: Ohio | Registered: April 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing my best to shape
America's youth
Picture of MooneyP226
posted Hide Post
Rust...
Make sure you check the frame, specifically where the shock mounts are welded up.

My dad had a low-mileage 2004- the brilliant engineers shaped the upper shock mount like a bowl, so it holds water, and then proceeded to put the passenger front mount directly where the AC condensate dripped.

His frame was so rotted out you could stick a finger through it like it was crepe paper.

Granted, his didn't get driven much so the water sat there for a while- but kind of a dumb design.

Not his Jeep- just stolen for a visual of the mount. Ignore the arrows...

It was fun to drive, but I had a hard time getting used to how close people can pull up amd tailgate.

Clarior Hinc Honos

BSA Dad, Cheer Dad

Posts: 1624 | Location: on the 42nd parallel  | Registered: November 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Suppressed
posted Hide Post
Yes, get one. I had a 2004 Rubicon. The only problem I had was the rear axle seals leaked but were repaired under warranty. I would look for a stock Rubicon. In fact, if I come across a nice one, I would buy it because I miss my Jeep. The best option to get is one that has both a hard and soft top as well as the full doors. An automatic won't hurt resale value. In fact, some people prefer the auto for off-roading.

Posts: 3229 | Location: MD | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I guess it depends what on what you are wanting it for.
I would get a Land Cruiser.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25408 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Delmag Tech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:

or a minivan Big Grin

Posts: 742 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not easy being me
posted Hide Post
Don't forget a slick set of wheels!! Big Grin Big Grin

Posts: 2769 | Location: Middle TN | Registered: March 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
The automatic is much better for any kind of rock crawling. The stick is more fun to drive on the roads. Maybe the opposite of what some expect.

The various years each have advantages and problems. I agree that the Rubicons are the best selection for play. You get much better gearing and stout axles, plus locking diffs. To make those mods aftermarket would cost more than you want to pay for the jeep.

Its a big country, don't be afraid to look on the internet at other regions.

Modifications run from professionally done to the worse shade tree. Don't put much emphasis on the brand of lift. They wear out over time, and the vintage you're seeking will probably need refreshing. If you buy stock, you'll be the first one.

When you go and look at it, don't be swayed by pretty pictures of the paint and body. You want/need to crawl underneath. Spend more time there than looking at the wax. Look for dents and evidence of crashing into rocks, etc.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18387 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Delmag Tech:
quote:

or a minivan Big Grin

Phillistine.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Off road snob and general car guy here, so I'll come out and say it. Jeeps are pieces of shit. They ride terrible. Handle terrible. Stop terrible, and in general are just terrible to live with. HOWEVER, if you are looking to trail ride and rock crawl all weekend, they fit that role well. For a true off road vehicle I would much prefer a Toyota of various types depending on the mission.

Hell, I'd die if they came back out with a solid axel full sized Blazer.

IDPA ESP SS

Posts: 969 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: January 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife drove jeeps for years, the last one was a real turd, she now says that she will never have another one. Her last two vehicles have been Subarus, better gas mileage less cost to maintain. Better crash rating. She is very happy with them.

Posts: 1833 | Location: central Alabama | Registered: July 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Honestly I do love those but this is a toy to drive short hauls and weekend baseball, I really like the FJ60 but its a whole different class

Posts: 1702 | Location: Alpharetta, GA | Registered: September 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of usmc-nav
posted Hide Post
My first Jeep was a 1983 CJ-7. It had a 5 speed and a 258 straight six. Loved it. Fast forward and I now have a 2014 Wrangler Hardtop. Now it has a/c, automatic, power windows, power locks, padded rollbar, cruise, etc. While not the old Jeep I still really enjoy it. It does ride bouncy, but it is supposed to, its a Jeep. I bought the lifetime bumper to bumper warranty with a $100 deductible for around $2500 as it will be in my garage for a long time. Good Luck with your purchase.

Posts: 539 | Registered: August 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by JonDaddy82:
Off road snob and general car guy here, so I'll come out and say it. Jeeps are pieces of shit. They ride terrible. Handle terrible. Stop terrible, and in general are just terrible to live with. HOWEVER, if you are looking to trail ride and rock crawl all weekend, they fit that role well. For a true off road vehicle I would much prefer a Toyota of various types depending on the mission.

Sorry to be another 'Debbie Downer', but the quoted text is how I feel too. I'd swing through some online reviews, mechanical dependability is important to me.

Yes, rock crawling out West, I may give one consideration, as more a casual daily driver, I'll find better options.

Posts: 6156 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jjtnova:
quote:

Honestly I do love those but this is a toy to drive short hauls and weekend baseball, I really like the FJ60 but its a whole different class

Then a Land Cruiser sounds perfect!
Running 60s are easy in your price range. Many not be pretty. But sometimes that is the nostalgia of an old Cruiser.
A newer 80 series or older 100 series can also be easily had within your budget and do pretty much anything a Jeep can do unless you are wanting the Jeep specifically to ride without a top or doors.

Or there is always a minivan with sweet wheels as others have suggested.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25408 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
I asked a similar question on here when my son started driving. The one answer that really stuck with me was this.....

Jeep means "Just Empty Every Pocket." Big Grin

That said, the 2000 Cherokee I bought him was a lot of fun.

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16188 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
....ride like a rocking horse, handle like a lawn tractor, what's not to like?

I've put close to 90,000 miles on my JKs the last 7 years, all without major mechanical travails.

coil springs/climate controls that work/actually CAN go 'mostly anywhere'/keeps a grin on my face every time I drive it---has served better than many of my other rigs over the last 50 years.

I knew when they built a windshield defrost that really worked, design engineers had established a beachhead on the Jeep corporate homeland.

The JKs of recent years are superior to previous Jeep products. If cup holders and back seat comfort are more important, stay away.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9853 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post