SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Smoking a turkey - tips for a beginner?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Smoking a turkey - tips for a beginner? Login/Join 
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted
I've had a smoker for almost a year, mainly do pork butts and chicken. My wife wants me to try smoking our turkey this year for Thanksgiving. What do I need to know before I give this a shot?

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4930 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I am NOT the person to take advice from but I did a chicken a couple weeks ago in our Big Joe. I kept the heat around 280-300 had a little hickory in there and just stuck a thermometer in the bird and took it out at 165 degrees.

It was the best chicken I’ve ever cooked.

We are going to try a similar thing with the Turkey so I will be anxious to hear what folks have to say.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Hardest part is getting it in the bong and keeping it lit...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43881 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Chris Lilly smoked turkey

Actually got this from his BBQ book, but recipe is in link. It works great to still get some smoke flavor on the bird, not too much and still keep it super moist.

Basically you're making a seasoned softball of butter, putting it on top, covering pan with foil using butter to keep air around turkey and then cutting a small chimney over butter. Butter melts over chicken, smoke/slight dryness gets in through the chimney. Want more smoke - just make a bigger hole next time.

Delicious!

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12417 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Smoked Turkey is great, I brine mine 24 hours in advance, then make a seasoning mix of soft butter/margarine with the seasonings which is rubbed on the meat under the skin and on top of the skin.

Smoking time depends on temp and weight, I use a digital wifi temp sensor to monitor the temps of the breast which we get to 165 internal breast.

I'll run more smoke for an hour, then turn up the temps to 325 on the Traeger, again it's about temp not time. In stead of doing a 20 to 24 pound bird I'll do two 12 to 13 pound birds, the cook takes less time.

You can also spatch cook a bird which should reduce time significantly, or allow you to run lower temps for longer time for more smoke.

There are several different recipes and techniques on Tragers web page. The method I described is the Ultimate Turkey recipe.

Its' gooooood....

[URL= https://www.traegergrills.com/...chcocking]Link[/url]

Posts: 23448 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Twist
posted Hide Post
Injecting with with some seasoned butter is a good start. Flavoring it the way you want is a good thing and it'll also help to keep it from drying out. Also season the exterior, salt and pepper, pre bottled seasoning or make your own.

Keep the temperature pretty low. I have a Classic Joe and usually keep the temp at around 200° and smoke it for half an hour per lb. Using a smoke tube with small chunks, shavings or wood pellets will help get more smoke flavor if that's desired.

The wife usually finishes it off in the oven afterward.

Posts: 1931 | Location: NOT Houston, Tx (Thank God), but in the area. | Registered: May 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Smoked Turkey is great, I brine mine 24 hours in advance, then make a seasoning mix of soft butter/margarine with the seasonings which is rubbed on the meat under the skin and on top of the skin.

Smoking time depends on temp and weight, I use a digital wifi temp sensor to monitor the temps of the breast which we get to 165 internal breast.

I'll run more smoke for an hour, then turn up the temps to 325 on the Traeger, again it's about temp not time. In stead of doing a 20 to 24 pound bird I'll do two 12 to 13 pound birds, the cook takes less time.

You can also spatch cook a bird which should reduce time significantly, or allow you to run lower temps for longer time for more smoke.

There are several different recipes and techniques on Tragers web page. The method I described is the Ultimate Turkey recipe.

Its' gooooood....

[URL= https://www.traegergrills.com/...chcocking]Link[/url]

Roughly speaking, how long for an 18-20lb bird? I know, cook to temp, but I'm just looking for ballpark figures.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4930 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post

Posts: 4110 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Like what is said above.
I brine it prior and cook usually takes about 5-6 hours at 225~250
Just monitor with a probe on the internals.
It's not about time ~ it's about the temp.
It needs to get to 165.

From a couple years ago ~ last year I let my buddy cook but back at it this year.

Posts: 22907 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
It isn't a secret, but brine it first. Get a turkey that hasn't been injected with mystery fluids, and brine it yourself.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I smoked my first turkey 7 or 8 years ago, and the meat turned out OK but the skin was rubbery. Lastmanstanding provided a game changing tip that I use for both chicken and turkey - smoke it hotter (275 to 325). I've been doing 325 ever since and get nice crispy skin.

My thoughts on wet brining:
  • 95% of the time, wet brining is a waste of time. The reason is that most turkeys are injection brined prior to freezing and it's ~8% of the weight of the turkey (i.e. 1.6 pounds of a 20-lb turkey is brine). Dunking a turkey in a brine isn't going to add anything to the injection brining it already received. I actually did a test one year and used cranberry juice in the brine to see how deep it went and it only colored the surface.
  • The other 5% of the time, is where you've purchased (intentionally or accidentally) a turkey that wasn't injection brined before freezing or refrigerating. However, it's not going to go very deep anyway so might as well reduce your time and expenses by dry brining (~1/4 tsp per pound of meat the night before) and applying a salt-free rub right before smoking.

Temperature:
  • Cook to temperature not time
  • Throw away that god awful pop up thermometer. It's not accurate. Think of it as a device that says it's safe to eat, but doesn't give a shit if it tastes like 30 year old shoe leather.
  • I highly recommend ThermoWorks Thermapen. It's extremely fast, extremely accurate, and extremely rugged. In 2012, I tried to cheap out and bought Amazon's best reviewed $20 instant read digital thermometer and it lasted about 7 months. I replaced it with the Thermapen and not only is it faster and more accurate, but I'm still using it. All I've had to do is keep it clean and periodically swap batteries.
  • Beware of old cook books. A few years ago, the USDA changed the safe temperature for poultry to 165. It used to be 180 which why so many people think turkey is dry and tasteless. A few years ago, our Thanksiving host had the cookbook from their wedding and served 180 degree turkey an hour late. It was dry as all get out and if they would've pulled at 165 it would've been both on-time and moist.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23255 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Spatchcock it. Works wonderfully. Cooks a bit more quickly and evenly. Plus, you should get more smokey flavor because of the increased surface area. Lastly, it makes carving a breeze...

I do this every year on a RecTec (now named RecTeq).

The "Boz"

Posts: 1531 | Location: Central Ohio, USA | Registered: May 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Fighting the good fight
    Picture of RogueJSK
    posted Hide Post
    Unless you're just gaga for dark meat, I suggest smoking just the breasts/torso. It's more forgiving for beginners.

So don't buy a whole turkey; instead get a "whole turkey breast" (which is just the torso).

Brine the night before.

Smoke at 250ish until 165 internal.

Posts: 32508 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Better Than I Deserve!
    Picture of LBTRS
    posted Hide Post
    I brine mine and then roast it in the pellet smoker using some pecan pellets. Roast it the same as if in an oven. It isn't "smoked" but actually roasted with some smoke to it.

Posts: 4986 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: September 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Invest Early, Invest Often
    Picture of TomV
    posted Hide Post
    A couple things I do that weren't mentioned yet......I put a Red Onion and an Apple inside the bird. And I baste with Apple Juice mixed with a bit of Olive Oil. I always BBQ mine Breast side down.

Posts: 1348 | Location: Escaped California...Now In Sunny, Southern Utah | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    I smoked a turkey breast for the first time last thanksgiving, so I am by no means an expert. I had an older smoker with a bad seal. It was also snowing and about 25 degrees. I only smoked my turkey for about 2-2.5 hours. It was not to temperature. I balled up large chunks of aluminum foil and put them in the bottom of a pan. I put about an inch of water in the bottom of the pan, but the bird was out of the water, then covered the whole thing with foil. I finished it in the oven for a couple hours. The steam kept the Turkey really moist. I also did the butter/seasoning under the skin and brined the night before. Turned out surprisingly well.

Posts: 380 | Registered: March 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    semi-reformed sailor
    Picture of MikeinNC
    posted Hide Post
    My dad smokes them every year. Uses apple wood for the smoke, over oak coals or kingsford(blasphemous) run em around 300 for a few hours, no water in the bowl.(he uses a Webber stand up smoker)

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11281 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of Sailor1911
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by bozman:
    Spatchcock it. Works wonderfully. Cooks a bit more quickly and evenly. Plus, you should get more smokey flavor because of the increased surface area. Lastly, it makes carving a breeze...

I do this every year on a RecTec (now named RecTeq).

+1 See the link Rodney Scott - Charleston SC

Rodney Scott BBQ

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    10-8
    Picture of Apphunter
    posted Hide Post
    I have been using this method for several years and it has not failed me.

I used to fry a couple of turkeys for Thanksgiving but after I got a Big Green Egg I smoked and fried one. After that year we have not fried anymore turkeys and only have smoked.

Posts: 915 | Registered: November 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    McNoob
    Picture of xantom
    posted Hide Post
    This brine worked very well for me! Did mine on my Pit Barrel Cooker.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/re...turkey-brine-2250057

Ingredients
    3 cups apple cider
    2 cups brown sugar
    1 cup kosher salt
    3 tablespoons tricolor peppercorns
    5 whole bay leaves
    5 cloves garlic, minced
    4 sprigs rosemary, leaves stripped off
    Peel of three large oranges, removed in large strips
    1 turkey

Directions

Combine 2 gallons cold water with the apple cider, brown sugar, salt, peppercorns, bay leaves, garlic, rosemary and orange peels in a large pot. Stir until the salt and sugar dissolve. Bring to a boil, then turn off the heat and cover.

Allow to cool completely, then place into the fridge to chill. Place uncooked turkey in the chilled brine solution, then refrigerate for 16 to 24 hours.

When ready to roast the turkey, remove from the brine. Submerge the turkey in a pot or sink of fresh, cold water. Allow to sit in clean water for 15 minutes to remove excess salt from the outside.
    Discard the brine. Remove the turkey from the clean water, pat dry, and cook according to your normal roasting method.

Discard the brine. Remove the turkey from the clean water, pat dry, and cook according to your normal roasting method.

"We've done four already, but now we're steady..."

Posts: 1731 | Location: MN | Registered: November 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post