SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Shooting in my sub division this morning.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shooting in my sub division this morning. Login/Join 
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted
I carry all the time, and I lock my doors when I go in and out of the house, even when I am in the yard.

And also lock my truck anytime I get out, even if I am staying next to it.

Just habits to re-enforce (and try to make subconsious actions).

I answer the door with a gun.

And I do not leave firearms in the truck unless I am in the truck with them.

http://www.nwfdailynews.com/ne...-lock-your-damn-cars

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
I agree/practice all the points you mention.
As for the link, too many pop ups/surveys/etc for me to dig down to content that probably just boils down to common sense.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
4:30AM loading truck,
owner returned to house to get more stuff
two non white, non hispanic, non asian, non females ransacked open truck, grabbed owners gun in truck, when owner came out said ethnics shot at owner and ran.

Moral, don't leave your gun in your car/truck unlocked.

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
Do you have an alibi?

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chris Anchor
posted Hide Post
We have from time to time roving crack heads from PA come down and break into cars/trucks. Our State Police wants us to lock our cars/trucks up at night and in the morning be met with broken windows. I don't lock mine I figure it's easier to keep nothing of value in the truck then to have new glass installed. But then I don't live on a street just a country road about 700' driveway. Chris

Posts: 1832 | Location: Cecil Co. Maryland | Registered: January 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wonder if you would like tiny town?

we have two gas stations and a market .the barber does a pretty ok and he's reasonable.

20 minutes to the international airport, no kudzu

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bigboreshooter:
Do you have an alibi?

I'm guessing that his alibi is that the shooters missed their target

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37931 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
There was a recent thread about a break in while on vacation. It's a common theme. Keep your vehicle clean with nothing valuable in sight, and keep your weapon on you.

As to keeping it unlocked, if you're parked in an area with a lot of breaking that's not a bad idea. I like having an alarm on it and keeping it unlocked. They'll always try the door before breaking a window, and then the alarm goes off before any damage is done.

Mainly though, I'm thankful that the Monkey didn't have to start throwing lead coconuts.

Posts: 3424 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jbcummings:
I agree/practice all the points you mention.
As for the link, too many pop ups/surveys/etc for me to dig down to content that probably just boils down to common sense.

Sry 'bout that. I have blockers that suppress all the crap and did not realize...

---------------
CRESTVIEW – A victim was shot at with his own handgun early Friday morning during a slew of car burglaries in the Fox Valley subdivision off of Antioch Road.

The Crestview Police Department received 12 reports of car burglaries and one report of a car theft in the Fox Valley subdivision by 10:30 a.m. Friday morning, according to a press release from the Crestview Police Department.

One resident was loading belongings into his car around 4:30 a.m. Friday and, when he went inside his home to gather more items, two black men approached the unlocked vehicle and ransacked it.

The victim walked back outside and saw the two men trying to steal the vehicle, the press release said. The men then began shooting at the victim with the gun they allegedly stole from the unlocked vehicle.

The resident was unharmed and the shooters are still at large, the press release said.

Sgt. Lucas Kraus said in addition to the car burglaries in Fox Valley, even more burglaries were reported in the nearby Whitehurst Lane neighborhood.

“We are extremely busy and frustrated,” Kraus said. “We are still taking (vehicle burglary) reports. We’ve had a heck of a morning.”

Dispatcher Mackenzie Edwards and Investigator Josh Burgess from the Crestview Police Department had identical advice for local car owners. “Lock your damn doors!” both said.

Kraus is asking residents in those neighborhoods who have home surveillance systems to please review their camera video.

If they see anything suspicious, he said, contact the Crestview Police Dispatch Center at (850) 682-2055 immediately.
---------------

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At 4:30 am you would not normally expect to be accosted in your own neighborhood. It is a sober reminder that we need to be vigilant no matter the time or place.

Posts: 12575 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
I carry all the time, and I lock my doors when I go in and out of the house, even when I am in the yard.

And also lock my truck anytime I get out, even if I am staying next to it.

Just habits to re-enforce (and try to make subconsious actions).

I answer the door with a gun.

And I do not leave firearms in the truck unless I am in the truck with them.

http://www.nwfdailynews.com/ne...-lock-your-damn-cars

All these things you mention are solid practices.

One more from Sunset

I do not loan any of my guns to anyone.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of side_shot
posted Hide Post
i live in NH i haven't locked my doors in 22 years i dont even think they work anymore i have always had a dog and a gun and i make sure everyone knows it Wink

"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
--Benjamin Franklin, 1759--

Special Edition - Reverse TT 229ST.Sig Logo'd CTC Grips., Bedair guide rod

Posts: 1245 | Location: New Hampshire "Live Free or Die"  | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
I have to go to my complex parking lot every morning at 3:30 am. It is a very dark lot attached to the street. It certainly keeps me on my toes. Armed of course.

quote:
Originally posted by wcb6092:
At 4:30 am you would not normally expect to be accosted in your own neighborhood. It is a sober reminder that we need to be vigilant no matter the time or place.

Posts: 1972 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Nah, it's your right to leave your shit unlocked.

It's also your right to get shot at with your own guy that you left in your car.

Stupid is as stupid does.

quote:
Originally posted by wcb6092:
Ah, it's dark out and nobody is around. I'd be more concerned then than at 4:30 pm. Why? It's dark out.

Wink

quote:
Originally posted by Sunset_Va:
I do not loan any of my guns to anyone.
Correct.

If I give someone a gun it is a gift or it is a sale, legitimately.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post