SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What kind of dreams do you have at night?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What kind of dreams do you have at night? Login/Join 
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
I very rarely remember a dream. Seems being stuck walking on a train track and I can’t out run it is one I’ve had a few times.

Didn’t Robert Johnson sell his soul at the crossroads in order to play like he did?

Posts: 11147 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I’ve posted about this before, but I’ll repeat it here:
It’s been five years since I retired from full-time cardiology practice; over a year since I did any cardiology work.
Nevertheless, I am still “on call” many nights—but with gradually decreasing frequency and intensity.
So I no longer have life-or-death situations for patients; just annoying things like having to meet residents for rounds and not knowing who they are or how to get hold of them.

You may realize that if you have a dream in the morning and are awakened from it you are much more likely to remember it. Sometimes if the dream is pleasant I may try going to sleep again and sometimes I get back to where I was. Wink

Posts: 18000 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
I actually look forward to going to sleep because I dream every night, usually several different dreams.

I do have a couple of randomly recurring dreams. One is essentially the same dream every time, where I'm trying to walk home and take shortcuts through back yards and through people's houses, like in the front door and out the back. Very specific, noticing furnishings, wallpaper, pictures, etc. Sometimes the people are home but nobody seems to object to a stranger wandering through their house.

The other is variations on a theme: I've been called back to active duty, usually to straighten things out. I'm always at or near my present age, sometimes I take charge, others I wander around completely clueless and useless and knowing there's no point in me being there. In real life, I reenlisted to get back to Misawa Air Base, Japan. Often in the "recall" dreams I'm back there on 3rd/4th/5th tours.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15157 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
I’ve posted about this before, but I’ll repeat it here:
It’s been five years since I retired from full-time cardiology practice; over a year since I did any cardiology work.
Nevertheless, I am still “on call” many nights—but with gradually decreasing frequency and intensity.
So I no longer have life-or-death situations for patients; just annoying things like having to meet residents for rounds and not knowing who they are or how to get hold of them.

You may realize that if you have a dream in the morning and are awakened from it you are much more likely to remember it. Sometimes if the dream is pleasant I may try going to sleep again and sometimes I get back to where I was. Wink

I retired from OB-GYN in 2012 and finally let my license lapse about three years ago. I have dreams, where I am supposed to help someone or cover for them, only to remember at the last moment that I have no license and no insurance. I often dream that I am in a hotel ballroom at a convention and can't find a men's room. Of course, I wake up and have to pee. I'm fortunate in that so far, I have not found the men's room, while still asleep. I was in Korea in 1968-1969. For years, I dreamt that I had been called back there. The dream was very realistic. It gave me great appreciation for those, who have recurring dreams of being in combat, which, thankfully, I was not.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On rare occasion, I will wake up and know that I had a dream. I won't be able to remember anything about it, just that it happened. Kind of like waling into a room right as the TV gets turned off - That dull residual glow tells you it was just on, but you have no idea what was playing.

I've only had 4 dreams in my life that I actually remember and they were all from when I was very young.

Posts: 727 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: May 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used to have loose teeth dreams, eventually realized that they were due to grinding my teeth at night. Mostly I have nightmares, almost every night for 40 years. People coming to get me, sometimes I wake up in a sweat.

I have been living a sort of personal, and dangerous, cold war for decades, but do see an end in sight. I suspect that when stresses subside the nightmares will be much less common.

-c1steve

Posts: 4036 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
I get these apocalyptic dreams periodically, a war in the U.S., I'm usually by myself or with a small group and there is total destruction everywhere. Sometimes I dream about being forced to shoot at someone and my gun misfires or else I miss.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2071 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
I dream frequently and recall quite a few of them. My most recurrent dream is one in which I fly. It usually begins by me leaping or falling from a great height; then I experience free fall for a time until I "decide" to begin flying. Sometimes I let myself hit the ground and then I bounce, trampoline style, until I decide to fly again.

Once I dreamt I was blue. Not my body mind you, I was the wavelength blue. I found I could zoom around the universe as Blue.

Occasionally I have dream sagas which progress nightly. Sometimes they are mundane reality based dreams with small variations other sagas are fantasy or sci-fi themed and can be quite intense.

All in all I really enjoy my nightly sojourns.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
My gun dreams always involve a drawer or box full of random ammo, none of which fits the gun I desperately need to use.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15157 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
What kind of dreams do you have at night?

Wet ones! Big Grin Big Grin

Posts: 13665 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vote the
BASTIDS OUT!
Picture of yanici
posted Hide Post
A lot of my dreams have one of the following variations:

1. I'm totally naked and try to act nonchalant about it so no one will notice, as I slink off to try to find clothes.

2. I leave wherever I am and go to get into my vehicle but find it missing. I don't know if it's stolen or I can't remember where I parked it.

3. In some dreams I can levitate my body to move about.

I probably should get my head examined, huh?

John

"Building a wall will violate the rights of millions of illegals." [Nancy Pelosi]

Posts: 2400 | Location: N.E. Massachusetts | Registered: June 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I almost never remember them, or the entirety of them, even if I wake up shortly after and try to recall them. After going back to sleep and then fully awakening for the day, I forget. I do remember a small part of one I had last night. I was given some kind of questionnaire, and one of the questions asked if I had a weapons fetish. Red Face

Posts: 27777 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Most of the time, I don't remember much about my dreams. I very rarely will awaken somewhat frightened/excited, but usually can't recall what the nightmare was about.

Most of the dreams I do recall are random mish-mashes of events and people in my life, strung together in nonsensical ways.

I can't recall ever having the stereotypical "naked in public" or "late for class" type of dreams. But I do recall having the "trigger too heavy to pull" dream once, as well as the "bullets dribble out the barrel" dream, both of which are reportedly common amongst shooters/cops.

quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
My gun dreams always involve a drawer or box full of random ammo, none of which fits the gun I desperately need to use.

That's your subconscious telling you it's time to start consolidating calibers. Big Grin

Posts: 32380 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don’t dream much anymore. Don’t think I get much dream inducing deep sleep.

I used to have bad dreams. Usually some threat or unknown terror coming my way. Often had the paralysis that comes with deep sleep. Odd that I understood they were dreams. Trick was to try to wake myself up. At some level, I understood that if I could yell, I would hear the sound of my own yelling and wake up. Usually worked but shook my wife. She learned to help by shaking me and calling my name.

It was a helpless sensation , feeling the fear yet logically knowing it was a dream but not being able to wake up easily.

Another reoccurring dream was trying to reach a destination or goal only to be constantly thwarted by obstacles. Much like real life.

Posts: 1605 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: April 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo Jones:

Long time ago I had this dream repeatedly, always when I was going through something extremely traumatic in life. I dreamt I had this guitar (below), owned by Robert Johnson, and in my dream, I could play like a mo-fo, despite not being able to play in real life. The dream was always very therapeutic for me, playing Robert Johnson's magic guitar.

Were you perchance being pursued by hellhounds?

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm totally naked and try to act nonchalant about it so no one will notice, as I slink off to try to find clothes.

I read once that these dreams are also depicted in Egyptian hieroglyphics, so welcome to the great chain of being.

Posts: 18000 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
What kind of dreams do you have at night?
Dear SIGforum -- I never thought I would write something like this . . .

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30498 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gjgalligan:
Many people don't dream if they are not sleeping deeply. Sleep apnea is a good example. I didn't dream much for several years until I started using a c-pap then I started getting all kind of dreams.
I wonder if that’s my problem. About the only way I remember a dream is if I get woken up by something in the middle of the night.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 1s1k,

Posts: 3867 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post

Posts: 27777 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
I had a dream last night I was shooting a lever-action shotgun, and one of the rounds didn't ignite. I ejected it and it turns out it was a roll of quarters.

I don't know what that means.

Posts: 3652 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post