SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What kind of dreams do you have at night?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What kind of dreams do you have at night? Login/Join 
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted
Was talking about this the other day. Mine are crazy. Seems like there are some people that I had this discussion with that have no dreams at all. Most have a few every now and then. Figured the apple thread wasn't where to ask this kind of thing, but I could expand upon the topic.

Never had the ones about a pop quiz, going to work/church without pants, etc... I did have the one where I was falling off a cliff. I hit bottom and bounced once. Tried to get up and take three steps before realizing how busted up I was (just before waking up).

I can remember a dream just about every night. Have had the same dream continue through a different night. Sometimes consecutively, sometimes years apart.

For example: The same house. The same labyrinth in the attic. The guy that died in the house in 1936 (that I had talked to in a dream a year prior. That and the house was now a duplex) had his casket placed in the attic at the end of the labyrinth. His spirit woke when I opened the casket and we talked for hours. He gave me a postcard with red and blue stripes alternating around the border in a language I couldn't read. I don't know how many years later, I dreamt that I was driving by and noticed the place again and pulled in the driveway. It still had the address of 1316 nailed to the wall under the porch. I crawl to the attic, go through the labyrinth, and the ghost of the guy comes out to tell me to get out because the house is on fire. I make it outside to turn and see the house collapse in flames. Woke up and was bummed out all morning.

Been able to blend into walls. Digitize my opponents. Generate antimatter. Read and correct grammatical errors. Even had a fight with Batman. Had to kill him so I could get to a light switch. Sometimes I can build things I had in my dreams out of Legos or draw a sketch to (optimistically) file a patent later. I've even rode around to see if I could find a duplex with the address of 1316 on it, but I can't say if the house existed, it would have burned as well.

So what is the consensus of the forum? Is it unusual to dream in such detail and remember it all?

Posts: 9093 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
One dream I haven't had in a while but I have the from time to time is me falling from a very high place and not being hurt at all.

I have also had dreams where I'm drowning. My wife says I stop breathing at night, I think I can actually feel it in those dreams.

One dream I have every couple years is that I shoot someone but nothing happens to them.

I also have dreams of being attacked by demons and I'll wake up screaming from those dreams.

Posts: 13029 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Guess I did it wrong. Wink

When I had fallen and got busted up, I woke up in a panic and a cold sweat with what felt like cramps in every possible muscle.

Posts: 9093 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
This depends on stuff. Mostly whether drinking or meditating. If meditating, then sometimes flying, or visiting beautiful cities, or meeting elementals, remembering a girlfriend, making moral choices, or even attacks by black animals. Dreams like HD sharp vision. A few times the finger of God, as I thought of it, pressed my belly and an ecstasy pervaded.

If drinking, then losing a gun, getting lost, have to pee but cannot find a toilet, fighting, running backwards, lots of bugs. Sometimes a feeling of drowning, probaly from apnea as posted above.
I think that a healthy liver increases the odds of happier dreams.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5952 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In the last dream I had I was eating this very large marshmallow.

And when I woke up, my pillow was gone.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
"Tornado" dreams are a thing that come with repitition. Thea also seem to come in "groups". Can be a while from having one, then I may have several at close timing.

Another is the "gun" dreams.
They come around once in a while, and they always are about failure to fire, running out of ammo, and such.

Have had dreams of things like cars or motorcycles being stolen.

I have pretty much determined all of them are about situations in real like that are "bleeding over" into dreams for "dealing and resolving unrelated problems in metaphor.

When I was younger, I had night terrors, and still recall several of them to this day with too much clarity. To the point that I thought maybe they were some sort of "portend", but have realized it is related to the way I visualize/think, (as related to my visual/photographic memory and visualizing).

Another thing I did not mention in that thread was the ability of "tapes running" all the time in my head even when I am doing other things.

I joke that my "other brains" are doing their thing at the moment, and leaving me alone to do this thing I am doing.

I am not a complete lunatic, some parts are missing.

And I am comfortably numb.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43778 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I've had the same dream off and on again for last twenty years. With small variations. Always aliens or zombies attacking a old office building in a now overgrown reclaimation of the forest.

I'm always trying to protect a group of strangers.

Pretty much The Walking Dead before it existed. Sometimes I am victorious, sometimes I die.

Same exact four story building in the same woods (imagine Ewok village).

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20726 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fly High, A.J.
Picture of tk13
posted Hide Post
As a youngster, I had a lot of nightmares. Mostly being chased by monsters such as Frankenstein. I eventually learned to recognize them as dreams and could often control them.

As an adult, there have been two recurring dreams, but I haven't had either in years. In the first, I am in a gun battle, and the bullets come out super slow, like in the Matrix. The second, my teeth start falling our while I'm talking to someone, causing me to freak out in the dream.

Also, like Mr Kablamo, I sometimes dream I have to pee but cannot find a place to go. I wake up and head directly to the toilet.

Posts: 1645 | Location: Suffolk, VA | Registered: March 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Suppressed
posted Hide Post
I've had dreams about walking into a lecture hall in college where everybody is taking an exam for which I was not prepared.

Another recurrent dream involved having to shoot my HK USP40 pistol and the hammer wouldn't drop no matter how hard I squeezed the trigger.

In the next recurrent dream, I am in a multi-story academic building and I can't figure out how to get to the ground floor. Escalators lead to the wrong place as did the elevators and stairways.

A few nights ago, I had a dream in which I was travelling on a highway and I slowed to look at a tractor trailer that was on the side of the road waiting for it's hydrogen generator to build up fuel. Next, it passes me and crashes into an overpass. I go to help the driver out of the rig and discover that his hands are locked in handcuffs. He holds out his arms and then breaks the chain which looks like it had almost been completely filed through. Then, I thought to myself that I should just help him get the cuffs off of his wrist so I take out my handcuff key (I have no reason to be carrying this key) and unlock them.

Posts: 3226 | Location: MD | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I dont dream often, but mine usually involve car chases. And from time to time, I have a dream where I am walking down a road in rural Kentucky near my Grandparents house. My brother is with me and we are children. I wake up before we reach any kind of destination.
I dont know why, but this dream freaks me out.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 15974 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
I have had the teeth falling out dream many times. Many dreams are of travel. Last night I dreamt I was visiting one of my daughters at her college dorm. A lot of people were wearing red.

Long time ago I had this dream repeatedly, always when I was going through something extremely traumatic in life. I dreamt I had this guitar (below), owned by Robert Johnson, and in my dream, I could play like a mo-fo, despite not being able to play in real life. The dream was always very therapeutic for me, playing Robert Johnson's magic guitar.

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
I dream every night it seems. Wish I didn't.

Guess I went back to work at the job I retired from in my dreams, I'm always dreaming about stupid situations in that job, but what is disturbing, is I often dream of co workers who are deceased.

Not very pleasant dreams.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
My dreams differ so much from night to night so there is no rhyme nor reason to them. I’m always joking to my wife that my dreams are other people’s. Of course, I have my personal dreams, but it is unbelievable what my brain comes up with when it takes control.

Retired Texas Lawman, now active reserve

Posts: 1155 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
Many people don't dream if they are not sleeping deeply. Sleep apnea is a good example. I didn't dream much for several years until I started using a c-pap then I started getting all kind of dreams.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4119 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
My dreams can get down right crazy. I don't mean just kind of a little weird crazy, I'm talking about sitting straight up in bed, looking around and saying .."what the f**k crazy".

Oh, I always enjoy seeing that picture of Robert Johnson. The best blues singer and guitar player of all time. Bar none. Jeez, I think he was poisoned at the age of 29, to top it all off. I have most all of his songs remastered on dvd.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5021 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
I dream a lot, and I have a lot of variety in the types of dreams I have. I usually have very vivid dreams, most are interesting to me and I enjoy them. Some of my dreams are of family and friends who have passed on, kind of like having a nice visit with them, in most of those types of dreams I don't even realize that they have passed on till I awaken.

Posts: 13665 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I have traveling, driving dreams quite a lot. Like several times a week. It's been a constant for years.

Another constant throughout my life is certain locations, ones that as far as I know don't exist. lol
Houses, cabins, long long stretches of road and highway that I've visited countless times throughout the course of my life.

Posts: 21031 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
I hate to tell you guys this, but you are all just imaginary characters in a dream I'm having. Reality is completely different.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17458 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
If I eat before bed, I tend to have nightmares--especially involving spiders.

I can't really remember my dreams but I know I do dream each night right before I have to get up for work. Frown

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18016 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save today, so you can
buy tomorrow
posted Hide Post
There are nights that I don't have any. There were nights that I did, and remember most of the parts of the dream. Some dreams, I was crying in it. Then I would wake up, and I was really crying in tears.

However, there is this "ONE" particular dream that I don't EVER want to have. It happens once every few months. In my dream, there is this big size ball (like those jaw breaker candies) that is inside my mouth. My mind is saying NOT to swallow it, as I will choke. Some nights (having the same dream), I was able to spit it out. However, there were some night that I ACTUALLY swallowed the ball, it goes down my throat and started choking (in my dream). THEN, I would wake up really gasping for breath. My fear is that I would die in my dream, and actually die in reality. Talk about sleep apnea. Maybe I do have sleep apnea, or maybe I don't. This dream don't happen that often though.

Posts: 1872 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post