SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Any Peloton users?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any Peloton users? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Well. Christmas came early & it's here.
We'll see how we like it. Need to get her some shoes.

Congrats!

You can purchase shoes directly from Peloton.

I had mine delivered with my bike.

Posts: 2267 | Location: San Francisco, CA | Registered: February 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by EZ_B:
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Well. Christmas came early & it's here.
We'll see how we like it. Need to get her some shoes.

Congrats!

You can purchase shoes directly from Peloton.

I had mine delivered with my bike.

We saw those, but compared to my Shimano shoes, the Peloton shoes seem a bit overpriced (though they do include the cleats).

Will have to stop in my LBS & check their stock.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15325 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Just did a 10 min free spin, I am out of shape.

Posts: 15325 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
Anyone have a recommendation for a decent pair of SPD shoes? We ended up with a Bowflex (couldn’t justify the Peleton right now with me being severely underemployed) but have the Peleton app and am really getting into it. Want to improve my attachment to the pedals.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigM4:
Anyone have a recommendation for a decent pair of SPD shoes? We ended up with a Bowflex (couldn’t justify the Peleton right now with me being severely underemployed) but have the Peleton app and am really getting into it. Want to improve my attachment to the pedals.

Mine are older SPD SL but have served well through 2 road bikes & now the Peloton.

Also, followed you & the others on the #sigforum tag.

ETA: My shoes are the velcro strap type. If I were to do it again, I think I'd go for the ratchet cable, for road duty, at least. The velcro seems to work fine for the few rides I've done on the Peleton so far.

Not all who wander
are lost.
Picture of JohnV
posted Hide Post
I got some Pearl Izumi’s from REI when they had a sale a while back. Found them more comfortable than the Shimanos but that’s entirely a personal preference. I’m using the clips from the peloton shoes cause I ordered that family package and didn’t want to pay for new pedals.

I also got you guys’s follow! Been a bit since I’ve been on it. Need to get going again! Sure is awesome.

Posted from my iPhone.

Posts: 4313 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: February 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigM4:

I’m using a pair of Specialized MTB shoes from specialized.com. They are great.

I’ve had a Schwinn IC4 for about a year. Run Zwift and the Peloton app. Upside of the Schwinn or Bowflex (same thing) is that you can choose which app or classes you want to use. Or not use any extra cost subscriptions.

NRA Patron Member, Instructor and CRSO
NC CCH Instructor
GRNC Life Member
VCDL Member

Posts: 1838 | Registered: April 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Well, I think I'm something like 36 rides on the bike, wife is over 50 I believe.
Still enjoying it, though Kendall & Emma still kick my ass.

We've added 2 accessories to the bike.

We added an aftermarket screen swivel. We have the base bike with the tilt-only screen. We've yet to use the swivel function, but my kids are wanting to do some of the cardio classes with mom. I like that it raised the screen a couple inches, as I found myself craning downward when standing.

I will say, that it is much easier to install the swivel with a helper. Trying to hold the screen in place & thread the bolt through while keeping the washers in place was difficult.

2nd, just came in on Monday. Velosound.
No idea why Peloton thought putting the speakers on the back of the screen was a good idea, I find I have to have it unnecessarily loud at times.
A high school kid came up with a solution & 3D prints sound tubes that attach via double-stick tape & 'pipe' the sound to the front.

Top Form Design: Screen swivel $70
https://topformdesign.com/product/pivot/

Velosound: Sound 'Tubes' $30
https://www.velosound.site/

posted Hide Post
So what does it cost to purchase the bike?

Posts: 1627 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by calugo:
So what does it cost to purchase the bike?

Current pricing:
https://www.onepeloton.com/shop/bike

Bike: $1,895
Bike+: $2,495

Better Than I Deserve!
Picture of LBTRS
posted Hide Post
Not a Peloton but I just order a Hydrow rowing machine which is the Peloton of rowing machines. Has the instructor led classes and such. Looking forward to it and will let you guys know how I like it.

Posts: 4986 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: September 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
I went BodyCraft instead when I bought mine. I have an Ipad so the Peloton is useless to me. I watch YouTube when I ride it or watch TV. I set the clock, and just keep track of my miles. Don’t need no stupid class for motivation.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12637 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
We bought our Peloton Mar of 2020 and got into it pretty good. Apr of 2020 my Dad passed away and the routine died.

I recently decided to get real about losing weight (see weight loss thread if interested) and after a month of conditioning by frequent walks, I am back on the bike several times a week and sometimes even 2-3 rides a day.

As of today, I have completed 59 rides, and 28 of those have been in just the past 6 weeks.

Seeing the earlier post on prices, I wish I had waited. Looks like the price has come down about $400 since last year.

Nice improvement I noticed is an upgrade where they have outdoor interactive video rides when the video speed varies with your cadence/resistance.

For those thinking about purchasing one, it uses “standard” pedals, seat, etc. While it comes with Look compatible pedals, if you have MTB shoes made for SPD clips, you can swap pedals out. The included pedals have a flat bottome, so if you want to ride with street shoes, you can just flip them over. Of course you are more efficient if you are clipped in, but you can forego special shoes if you desire.

You can even put basic platform pedals on if you wish. As others mentioned, the Peloton shoes are over priced. Better/cheaper options on Amazon.

If I had to ride with the stock seat, my second ride would likely have been my last. For those like me who have an “expanded” backside, do yourself a favor and get a wider, padded seat.

Speaking of padding, you are probably going to want some padded crotch bike shorts or liners unless you have already built up ass callouses from previous riding.

Personally, I have yet to do a “live” ride. I mostly ride the outdoor scenic rides and do the occasional recorded class. I have started to ride with my earbuds and my music as Peloton’s music choices aren’t generally my style.

Final fun fact I just learned today - for someone trying to burn fat and lose weight, focus on a faster cadence at a lower resistance. I had been doing just the opposite, thinking the resistance was burning the calories. After some googling told me different, I proved it to myself today.

I did the same ride today I did yesterday, the 30 min Oahu “guided” ride (I don’t pay attention to the guide and his cadence/resistance calls I just like the scenery).

Yesterday my cadence averaged 60 and my resistance averaged 48. It said I rode 8.27 miles with a total output of 192kj and 524 calories burned. Heart rate maxed at 151 and averaged 129.

Same ride today, but focusing on keeping a cadence of 80 or better at whatever resistance allowed that. I averaged a cadence of 82 with average resistance of 34. Distance today was just less than a mile shorter at 7.29 miles. Total energy generated was quite a bit lower at 141kj BUT calorie burn was up by 100 to 624 calories burned.

Much better cardio workout as well with HR max of 163 and 151 average, that explains the increased calorie burn. Wish I had known that 6 weeks ago, I might be a few pounds lighter today.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10940 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
I am getting stronger. I follow Kendall pretty much exclusively; her ‘metal rides’ kick the shit out of me and her 45 minutes Metallica ride plays great riffs just as I’m about out of gas.

No chance of me keeping up with her in cadence and resistance; at this point I try to just keep the cadence, regardless of how low my resistance goes.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12332 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
I am getting stronger. I follow Kendall pretty much exclusively; her ‘metal rides’ kick the shit out of me and her 45 minutes Metallica ride plays great riffs just as I’m about out of gas.

No chance of me keeping up with her in cadence and resistance; at this point I try to just keep the cadence, regardless of how low my resistance goes.

Kendall & Emma are my top 2, good music & instruction.
My average class difficulty is 7+

I've got that 45min Metallica ride bookmarked, not sure I'm ready for that yet.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: P250UA5,

Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
Did my 80th ride today, have been riding 6 days a week for the past couple weeks. I am now doing two and sometimes even three 15-30 minute rides a day.

Starting to get stamina up and maintain higher cadence since I learned that higher cadence/lower resistance burns more calories.

Have also started exploring the recorded classes, maybe in another month or so I will give a live class a try.

Feeling so good on the Peloton I am about ready to get my road bike out on the road again while the weather is good.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10940 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:
Did my 80th ride today, have been riding 6 days a week for the past couple weeks. I am now doing two and sometimes even three 15-30 minute rides a day.

Starting to get stamina up and maintain higher cadence since I learned that higher cadence/lower resistance burns more calories.

Have also started exploring the recorded classes, maybe in another month or so I will give a live class a try.

Feeling so good on the Peloton I am about ready to get my road bike out on the road again while the weather is good.

Congrats on 80. I did #49 on Sunday.
I like the recorded classes, as I prefer the resistance/cadence indicators/guides, you don't get those with live classes.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: P250UA5,