SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Toyota: Land Cruiser Heritage Edition vs. 4Runner TRD Pro
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Toyota: Land Cruiser Heritage Edition vs. 4Runner TRD Pro Login/Join 
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
quote:
Thanks to its thirsty V8, we averaged an underwhelming 13.2 mpg

Well, that's better than 9... Razz

Indeed. While 4 MPG doesn't seem like much, 13.2 is 30% better fuel economy. And they averaged that with a component of off-road too. And I'm sure they (being testers) were heavy footing some.

Posts: 11377 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
my experience is -- vehicles actually can do BETTER than reported in terms of Highway mileage

but in terms of City miles -- often WORSE due to actual usage which includes idling -- waiting for the kids, in line for fast food, traffic delays, etc

esp. a place where the AC is always running on blast

ymmmv (literally)

-----------------------------

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Sig209,

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
[threaddrift]
What happened to the AE Miata?
[/threaddrift]

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15286 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
Mine has the mighty 3fe in-line 6.
Engine parts are scarce but some can be found at forklift shops.
Best MPG was 12 on flat land.
Start hitting hills and in town traffic and it drops to 9.
Bigger grades and it's second gear and 4,000 RPM.
Hairpin grades I drop it in 4 low so I have all 4 gears and it does about 25 MPH.
The rest of the planet got the Diesel engine, not the USA, we get an engine used in forklifts.
A V8 would wake it up a bit and the fuel mileage would probably be better as it wouldn't be at full throttle all the time.

Posts: 1477 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
[threaddrift]
[/threaddrift]

They finally got around to building it in late August/early Sept. By the time I'd have it it was to be the doorstep of winter. I was annoyed and tired of the idea.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by powermad:
Mine has the mighty 3fe in-line 6.
Engine parts are scarce but some can be found at forklift shops.
Best MPG was 12 on flat land.
Start hitting hills and in town traffic and it drops to 9.
Bigger grades and it's second gear and 4,000 RPM.
Hairpin grades I drop it in 4 low so I have all 4 gears and it does about 25 MPH.
The rest of the planet got the Diesel engine, not the USA, we get an engine used in forklifts.
A V8 would wake it up a bit and the fuel mileage would probably be better as it wouldn't be at full throttle all the time.

Mine has the 1FZ, head gasket was toast at about 220k miles. I so wanted to drop a 5.3 in it, but couldn't bring myself to spend the coin on it or be without it for an extended amount of time. Had a reputable shop in the upstate here replace the head gasket along with some other stuff. ~$3k later and all is well. The 5.3 would have been at least double that.

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Never understood this vehicle myself. I mean it’s nice but cost efficiencies and “off-road” capability I’d be better served by buying essentially any pickup made and putting either an ATV or MX bike in the bed.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12622 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
For 90k+ kind of money I would get a G wagon.
But personally I can’t see the kind of money for SUV’s like this or trucks.
Perhaps this Wuhan virus will force some longer term deals because the current $50-70k for a Ford F1fitty is crazy.
We don’t need to fund a Democrat voting UAW pension with each vehicle purchase.

HK Ag

Posts: 3498 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
I'm not an economist, so i could be totally wrong in this dynamic time of Trillions, but I would think prices will be much higher in the coming years as the supply of "dollars" goes skyrocketing.

Picture of Lt CHEG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HK Ag:
Perhaps this Wuhan virus will force some longer term deals because the current $50-70k for a Ford F1fitty is crazy.

HK Ag

I traded my GWagen for my Land Cruiser. While the GWagen is unquestionably a marvel and the most interesting vehicle I have ever owned it really is a pleasure vehicle and not something particularly practical. I justified the purchase of my GWagen assuming that it would be sufficiently practical and as it turned out, it really wasn’t, especially if you have a child in a car seat. Also for what it’s worth the Land Cruiser is a fair amount cheaper than the GWagen, especially since the 2019 redesign. My Land Cruiser was I believe about $88k sticker, while my GWagen was $125k sticker. A new 2020 GWagen starts closer to $132k, a pretty sizable difference in price vs the $90k top end price for a Land Cruiser.

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

Posts: 5576 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: February 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
[threaddrift]
[/threaddrift]

They finally got around to building it in late August/early Sept. By the time I'd have it it was to be the doorstep of winter. I was annoyed and tired of the idea.

Well that's a shame, but I get it. I'm spoiled to having 11.75 months of convertible/motorcycle weather.

quote:

HK Ag

A G-Wagen is my grail SUV, no matter how impractical & fuel guzzling it is.
Will probably never own one, but can dream. One of the older supercharged 5.5 V8s Eek
Though, the newer 4.0 TTV8 makes more power & probably better economy.

The president at my last job had a G55 AMG, but rarely drove it, opting for her GL450 as a daily.
Asked her about it once & she told me that the G averaged around 15 on the highway.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15286 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
I recently looked at getting a LC, love the off road abilities and the quality.

You can find used "soccer mom" rides 3-4 years old and under 40K miles for $40-$50k.

It was tempting but the 12mpg really turned me off. If we could actually get the diesel everyone else gets I would grab one in an instant.

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
12mpg is absurd, unless it's a Tracktor or something.

Even 20mpg is barely tolerable, IMO.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
I think both are great, but the LC is greaterer. Really, really nice, with really, really bad mpg. But like someone told me once, if you have to ask about the mpg, it ain't the ride for you. Cool

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Yeah, that MPG is awful. It is only that I drive so very little that I'm afforded the ability to even THINK about a car with that milage. I bought my Subaru in the fall of 2013, and it now has ~55,000 miles on it. So well under 10k miles a year. But then again, all around-town and local country road driving.

Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Thought I'd throw this here in case anyone is interested and has 30ish minutes to spare. The tail end is a review of the window sticker and placards, so it's really just a bit over 30 min.

AMAZING job done by this guy. filmed in 4k! I could damn near buy sight unseen with a review of this quality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3vAN1qBqVA

I won't embed it because you really should watch full screen.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slabsides45:
I think both are great, but the LC is greaterer. Really, really nice, with really, really bad mpg. But like someone told me once, if you have to ask about the mpg, it ain't the ride for you. Cool

i understand that concept but it just aint true

expensive is expensive any way you slice it

i was with a surgeon the other day and he happened to be on the phone complaining with a car shop about getting a run-flat tire replaced on his Tesla... i know for a fact this guy makes half a mil a year and he was crying about how much the tire was... Big Grin

(not hating on the LC -- if i won a lottery I'd get one --- Smile )

-------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lt CHEG:
quote:

HK Ag

I traded my GWagen for my Land Cruiser. While the GWagen is unquestionably a marvel and the most interesting vehicle I have ever owned it really is a pleasure vehicle and not something particularly practical. I justified the purchase of my GWagen assuming that it would be sufficiently practical and as it turned out, it really wasn’t, especially if you have a child in a car seat. Also for what it’s worth the Land Cruiser is a fair amount cheaper than the GWagen, especially since the 2019 redesign. My Land Cruiser was I believe about $88k sticker, while my GWagen was $125k sticker. A new 2020 GWagen starts closer to $132k, a pretty sizable difference in price vs the $90k top end price for a Land Cruiser.

Not to mention Mercedes-Benz service and parts pricing is double or more. Having owned several Mercedes followed by a Lexus and now a Sequoia, the service cost on the Toyotas is much more palatable.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post