SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Toyota: Land Cruiser Heritage Edition vs. 4Runner TRD Pro
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Toyota: Land Cruiser Heritage Edition vs. 4Runner TRD Pro Login/Join 
Picture of whododat
posted Hide Post
Take a look at the Lexus GX 460. Very capable off road and within the price range of used 4Runners if you are looking for a used vehicle. not to mention there is a V8 under the hood. We just picked up a 2015 GX460 Base w the premium package and could not be happier. Very comparable in price to used 4Runners and we were suprised to see that, considering the extras you get and the comfort of the vehicle. I just put on some Cooper AT3's as a start. There are alot of articles on the somewhat unknown capabilities of the vehicle.
Good luck

Because son, it is what you are supposed to do.

Posts: 1851 | Location: Escaped to TN | Registered: October 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lt CHEG
posted Hide Post
I’ve got a 2019 Land Cruiser and it is amazing. The build quality is incredible. I personally would opt for the non heritage edition because the heritage edition does not come with the upgraded leather. The leather on my Land Cruiser is just as nice as the leather that came on my 2017 Mercedes G550 and quite honestly the build quality is just as high. My 2019 Land Cruiser is simply put the most impressive vehicle I’ve ever owned. I love it and would highly recommend one to anyone considering one.

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

Posts: 5562 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: February 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Excitable Boy
Picture of Dan the man
posted Hide Post
I bought a 2019 4Runner Off Road Premium last fall. It's easily the nicest, most luxurious vehicle that I've ever owned. Knowing that it is a very capable off roader is icing on the cake. I'd love to have a Land Cruiser but I'm absolutely happy with my "poor mans" version.

China is Asshoe

Posts: 2270 | Location: Michigan | Registered: March 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dan the man:
I bought a 2019 4Runner Off Road Premium last fall. It's easily the nicest, most luxurious vehicle that I've ever owned. Knowing that it is a very capable off roader is icing on the cake. I'd love to have a Land Cruiser but I'm absolutely happy with my "poor mans" version.

I got into some serious Virginia Clay goopy snotty type mud in my 19 TRD ORP with the factory Dunlop's and surprised the shit out of my cousin who was watching in his Dodge Power Wagon with SST Pro's. He said that the 4Runner did things he's never seen and it crawled it's way right out of the nastiest stuff there was. Made a believer out of him. Now I need to put some real tires on there, put a set of sliders instead of the running boards, get a winch & bumper, lift it about 2.5-3", add a bit of armor underneath and be done. Highly capable as is but even more so in full battle rattle.

Posts: 2824 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only dead fish
go with the flow
Picture of pessimist
posted Hide Post
If I recall correctly, the LC is over-engineered (which appeals to anyone with a man card Big Grin) to the tune of a service life of 25 years or 1,000,000 miles. I think I read once that the chassis was the strongest of any non-commercial, production vehicle.

Posts: 1517 | Registered: March 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lt CHEG:
I’ve got a 2019 Land Cruiser and it is amazing. The build quality is incredible. I personally would opt for the non heritage edition because the heritage edition does not come with the upgraded leather. The leather on my Land Cruiser is just as nice as the leather that came on my 2017 Mercedes G550 and quite honestly the build quality is just as high. My 2019 Land Cruiser is simply put the most impressive vehicle I’ve ever owned. I love it and would highly recommend one to anyone considering one.

jealous

and LC would be a vehicle to get if I had the $$

(college ain't done for the kids yet...)

they are impressive

---------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
My 1991 LC is still chugging along with only 180k on the clock.
Way over built from day one.
Five gallon cooling system, 8 qt oil capacity, one ton rated axles and a powertrain that's basically bullet proof. 6,000 LBS with a tank of fuel and it gets a whopping 9 mpg.
45 mph up a hill, won't win Pikes Peak but it will get there eventually.
I keep thinking of dropping a 6 liter GM engine in it but my daughter will be driving soon so no need for a bunch of giddy up.

Posts: 1470 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You don’t fix faith,
River. It fixes you.

Picture of Yanert98
posted Hide Post
My 99 LC is closing in on 300k and still running strong.

It's by far the most reliable and rugged vehicle I've ever owned.

There's no way I could stomach the $$ for a new LC now, but I'm definitely going to track down a used LC or GX when it's time to replace it.

----------------------------------
"If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism.." - Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2673 | Location: Migrating with the Seasons | Registered: September 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lt CHEG:
I’ve got a 2019 Land Cruiser and it is amazing. .... I love it and would highly recommend one to anyone considering one.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pessimist:
If I recall correctly, the LC is over-engineered (which appeals to anyone with a man card Big Grin) to the tune of a service life of 25 years or 1,000,000 miles. I think I read once that the chassis was the strongest of any non-commercial, production vehicle.

Yeah, I think that's kind of the thing for me. I get that they look alike. I get that they basically do the same thing. But there's something about the way it's said to be built so well, so overbuilt, that appeals to me. This from a guy with a 6 year old Crosstrek with 50k miles on it that has a bad COVID-19 axle even though the boot is fine. CVs shouldn't fail at 50k miles. But it's built to a price point. And built for MPG (lightweight).

Admittedly, I will certainly not do extreme offroading. Maybe I'll pull into the grass from time to time. Smile I would like to camp more. After this awfulness of the pandemic is behind us.

Posts: 11354 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
I'm looking hard at a 4Runner next year, but the GX is looking tempting too.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8339 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dirty Boat Guy
Picture of parallel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
***snip***

Yeah, I think that's kind of the thing for me. I get that they look alike. I get that they basically do the same thing. But there's something about the way it's said to be built so well, so overbuilt, that appeals to me. This from a guy with a 6 year old Crosstrek with 50k miles on it that has a bad COVID-19 axle even though the boot is fine. CVs shouldn't fail at 50k miles. But it's built to a price point. And built for MPG (lightweight).

***snip***

Better quarantine that ride... Big Grin

A penny saved is a government oversight.

Posts: 6708 | Location: New Orleans Area | Registered: January 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One used to be able to buy a stripped version of a 911 for a lower price than the normal carrera. Now, you must pay a premium to get less.

Likewise, I was excited to hear that Toyota was finally going “back to its roots” and offer a LC version that lacked the silly boards, console cooler and worthless 3rd row seats. Unfortunately, they decided to chase the current fad and stuck on a silly shopping basket for the roof and non-heritage ugly wheels - along with a price increase.

If you really want a serious off-roader, don’t buy a new 4R or LC. Just buy some old vehicle, build it and then beat it.

That said, if you want a truck-based SUV for everyday living (and the occasional camping trip that your predecessors were able to achieve with a mere station wagon), then decide if you want to spend more for the extra heft, road feel, and space of the LC or save with the 4R. They are as comparable as are a 3 series vs 7 series.

I still love the 2002 LC that I bought new 18 years ago. I’ve periodically toyed with the idea of replacing it. For me, my choice would land between a used LC vs a new 4R. From practicality, I might go with the new 4R. But I’d miss the intangibles of the LC. And thus, I tend to stay with my old faithful ‘02 model (which fortunately lacked boards, roof rack, bug screen, etc).

They are both great vehicles that will last a long time.

Posts: 481 | Registered: June 24, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parallel:
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
***snip***
.....This from a guy with a 6 year old Crosstrek with 50k miles on it that has a bad COVID-19 axle even though the boot is fine. CVs shouldn't fail at 50k miles. But it's built to a price point. And built for MPG (lightweight).

***snip***

Better quarantine that ride... Big Grin

HA! Yeah, I type it so often for work that I made a shortcut on my Mac. While my CV axels are indeed diseased, the are not infectious. Certainly not the CV axels built with such great immunity such as a Land Cruiser. Or honestly, in comparison to the lightweight Subaru, the 4Runner too I'm sure.

posted Hide Post
don't know if I could ever get used to a 9 mpg vehicle though

i would wince every time I hit the gas pedal / had to fill-up

---------------------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lt CHEG
posted Hide Post
A couple things that went into consideration for me were rarity, features, and size/seating. I like the idea of driving something fairly unique so the edge definitely went to Land Cruiser there. Toyota refuses to put blind spot monitoring on the 4Runner which immediately made it a “no” for us. Now that my wife has experienced blind spot monitoring we simply will not own a new vehicle without that feature. Toyota refusing to incorporate this technology in the 4Runner is pig headed in my opinion. Lastly because the Land Cruiser is considerably larger than the 4Runner the 3rd row seats are actually usable in the Land Cruiser, at least over reasonable trips. If my wife and I want to fit our daughter, my wife’s parents and my mother in one vehicle for a trip to dinner or the mall or someplace that doesn’t require luggage, we can easily and comfortably accommodate everyone in the Land Cruiser. No other vehicle that we considered would accomplish that feat. The side folding seat style for the Landcruiser’s 3rd row seat makes them particularly useful as they don’t take up much space when they are folded 95% of the time and don’t hurt ground clearance when folding into the floor like some other models. Also, we only need to use 1 of the 3rd row seats when we need them so by only lowering one seat, it allows for much more leg room for the 3rd row passenger (even I can comfortably ride there if needed and I’m 6’2”). So for me it really was a no brainer and I’m very happy with our decision. I really love my Land Cruiser.

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

Posts: 5562 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: February 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:
don't know if I could ever get used to a 9 mpg vehicle though
i would wince every time I hit the gas pedal / had to fill-up

Is it really that bad?
That's an issue for me. I don't tow with my 4Runner so I stayed away from the V8 option. I do like the 4.0 V6 as it's used more around town and as a road trip vehicle than it is for any heavy lifting.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23945 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Care & Driver: "The official EPA estimate is 15 mpg combined (13 city/18 highway), which trails in a segment not known for fuel-sipping. Thanks to its thirsty V8, we averaged an underwhelming 13.2 mpg over 645 miles of city, highway and off-road driving, with tank averages ranging from 10 to 17 mpg."

Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks to its thirsty V8, we averaged an underwhelming 13.2 mpg

Well, that's better than 9... Razz

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23945 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
My beater 4x4 for the mountains is a 2000 4runner Limited with 302k miles on it and going strong. The radiator was replaced a few years back, and the rear axle seals finally rebuilt about six years ago, and the rest is nothing but regular (non-obsessive) maintenance. This thing is hard to kill. Damn fine mid-size SUV, perhaps the best one ever made. AWD, 4WD, 2WD, plus one-touch Rear Lockers, it goes anywhere.

It gets *just* under 20mpg. Not wanting to deal with 12mpg is why I don't have a (gas) Land Cruiser. If I could buy a Diesel Land Cruiser as cheaply as a gas one I'd have one of those instead if for no other reason than to have a bigger version of the 4runner. A wider console would be cooler for sure...

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post