SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Toyota: Land Cruiser Heritage Edition vs. 4Runner TRD Pro
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Toyota: Land Cruiser Heritage Edition vs. 4Runner TRD Pro Login/Join 
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted
There's few things I know less about than trucks. But I think I'd like to have one next time around. Truck capabilities.

For the hell of it, I started exploring the Land Cruiser Heritage Edition. I love the look. Many years ago I almost bought an FJ40 for $2500, but I couldn't quite swing it. And now, for $90k, it's like... What gives? I get that it's built pretty solid. And I know it's been a premium model in the line up in more recent years. As I try to look these over, it seems the 4Runner is probably just as capable? Maybe a notch less "cool" in my eyes, but still cool. The Venture Edition 4Runner or TRD Pro have locking differentials.

Essentially, the LC is 145% the cost of the 4R. What really gives? If you could swing it, would it be worth it?

I'm assuming there'll be 0% financing for 72 months on ANYTHING that ANYONE is willing to buy in a few months.

Posts: 11385 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
LC is a killer rig. This is the last 8-cylinder before they change over to turbo-6. I'd buy the 8.

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified Plane Pusher
Picture of Phantom229
posted Hide Post
The Land Cruisers are awesome but damn they are expensive. The 4Runner Pro is a little over priced IMHO. You can get a 4Runner Off Road, put on your own suspension and still come out less than a Pro. Hell, if you have the money, buy the Land Cruiser. For me it would just be tough to take it off-road for fear of scratching it.

Situation awareness is defined as a continuous extraction of environmental information, integration of this information with previous knowledge to form a coherent mental picture in directing further perception and anticipating future events. Simply put, situational awareness mean knowing what is going on around you.

Posts: 7895 | Location: Around Lake Tapps, Wa | Registered: September 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
Old article but it's still very applicable.

Here ya go.

Way over designed. If I had the money, I'd be rolling around in a Land Cruiser instead of my 4Runner.

Posts: 2832 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
The Land Cruiser is hand built in Japan and is their flag ship SUV. When you sit in a new LC and compare it to a 4Runner you are immediately struck by the level of luxury. That said the 4Runner is an absolutely incredible machine. The 4Runner is also still made in Japan and just like the LC you can expect a 20-25 year service life EASILY. Both machines are quite capable but let’s be honest...how many people are going to beat the hell out of a $80-90k SUV? I know the 4Runner’s MSRP is getting up there too but think of it as the more affordable and capable off road machine.

You really can’t go wrong with either. My mother’s 2003 4Runner has over 260,000 miles and its running just fine. It’s crazy how good that vehicle has been. Other than small plastic bits breaking from normal wear and tear in the interior it has been flawless.

If you have the means get the LC & enjoy the best machine Toyota currently sells...if you want to have fun Offroad get the 4Runner.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21108 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
We have plans to buy a new 4Runner. But it won't be the pro version. The premium is too high for what it is.
I think you can get the TRD premium or maybe even the Venture (which is my choice) slightly under $40k with a bit of good timing and negotiation I believe.
The SR5 version I am not a fan of. I do not like a knob for engauging the 4wd. Also want a locking diff. Seem's like they brought out another version for this year.

More money than sense comes to mind on purchasing a LC.
Sure if money was no object. But financing one. Oh hell no. I do not care if it is a negative interest rate. Forget that idea.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19186 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve got a 20 4R Pro. Great vehicle. Traded a 17 Tacoma pro for it. I’m not one to start tossing cash at upgrades, I just get the stock version I like and retain warranty on all the parts.

The venture is more an appearance package on a Limited. Just like next years Trail edition is an appearance package on a SR5

If I had 90k sure I’d like a LC, but I don’t, so I got to me, was the next best option.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6226 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Land Crusier is an awesome off road vehicle but I'd be so afraid to actually take it off road. I'd have to be rich enough to not care about dings and scratches.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3533 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
I've owned 3 LCs, including an 8 cylinder. Took them all off-road. First thing you do is take off the soccer-mom running boards.

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
I wonder if the 2020 LC engine shuts off at stop signs. God I hate that. I would love to score that V8.

posted Hide Post
For years I thought a Land Cruiser could float. Then I saw an asshat try to cross the a section of river in Wyoming (Snake) and watched it sink entirely.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FishOn:
I've owned 3 LCs, including an 8 cylinder. Took them all off-road. First thing you do is take off the soccer-mom running boards.

Good point. I drive a 4R with running boards. I could do without them but the wife and daughters like them.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24115 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phantom229:
The Land Cruisers are awesome but damn they are expensive. The 4Runner Pro is a little over priced IMHO. You can get a 4Runner Off Road, put on your own suspension and still come out less than a Pro. Hell, if you have the money, buy the Land Cruiser. For me it would just be tough to take it off-road for fear of scratching it.

Yup, I bought a 4Runner Off-Road and SLEE installed an OME BP51 suspension and SPC UCAs for me. The ride is superb, can't wait to get in the dirt.

I like the old Land Cruisers, 1995 – 1997 with solid front axle, OEM front and rear lockers would be my choice.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dirty Boat Guy
Picture of parallel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
quote:

Good point. I drive a 4R with running boards. I could do without them but the wife and daughters like them.

If you're going to do any serious off roading you should replace the running boards with some true rock sliders.

A penny saved is a government oversight.

Posts: 6708 | Location: New Orleans Area | Registered: January 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:

The Heritage Edition doesn't come with running boards, or the 3rd row seats for that matter.

Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
If you want Toyota 'and' off road, go with the original. Would love to have one of these myself.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR025
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by roberth:
quote:
Originally posted by Phantom229:

Yup, I bought a 4Runner Off-Road and SLEE installed an OME BP51 suspension and SPC UCAs for me. The ride is superb, can't wait to get in the dirt.

I like the old Land Cruisers, 1995 – 1997 with solid front axle, OEM front and rear lockers would be my choice.

I have a 96 triple locked land cruiser, definitely last of an era before they went to ifs. I would love a 200 heritage but out of my price range

Posts: 841 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 04, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a '97 Land Cruiser that is triple locked with some mods. It's main roll is dog hauler and beach trips. I'm in the market for a new vehicle, Tundra leading the way. I don't need a truck often, but the need is there. If not for that, a couple year old 200 would be even higher on my radar.

I've also had a 4th gen 4Runner, loved that vehicle.

You really can't go wrong with either one. I do agree with others, I would rather take a new 4Runner off road and beat on it than a Land Cruiser, unless I just had the cash to not worry about it (shocker, I don't).

You can build a hell of a 4Runner for the price of just the LC alone.

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
MattW. I would on the Tundra too. Before the new version comes out.

I would buy a new Tundra before the 4Runner. But this one is the wife's rig. She deserves whatever her heart desires. looking like a 4Runner.

The situation as it stands might affect buying a new rig though.

Fortunately I was able to upgrade my gen 1 Tundra to a 2010 version before all the crap happened though.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19186 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good, bad, I'm the
guy with the gun
Picture of 45ProCarry
posted Hide Post
I bought a 2019 Toyota 4Runner TRD Off Road with lots of extras in November 2018. I love the Land Cruiser's, but I felt they were way too expensive. We are very happy with our 4Runner.

Posts: 2343 | Location: USA | Registered: May 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post