SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Went into Frys today and was shocked!
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Went into Frys today and was shocked! Login/Join 
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I found Fry's when I lived in SoCal and built my own computer. Between Fry's and NewEgg, I built a sweet computer that lasted many years and was easy to upgrade.

I kept shopping at Fry's the first time I lived in Houston and it was great. Clean, great selection, darn near Internet prices, and knowledgeable sales people on commission so they wanted to help.

I moved off to Alaska and Can-eh-duh for 7 years, and I hit up Fry's when I returned to Houston in 2016. What a dingy, dirty dump. Less sales people, and not as well stocked.

I tried again last year because I couldn't find what I wanted online. Fry's was dirtier, aisles of empty shelves, hardly any employees, and employees obviously weren't on commission any more because they didn't even try to help.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23098 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
Only club membership places like sams and Costco can stop you and check receipts.
That makes sense. It's included in the agreement you sign, I imagine.

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Only club membership places like sams and Costco can stop you and check receipts.
My local Fry's is not a "membership place" and it checks receipts against the bags.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
quote:
quote:
My local Fry's is not a "membership place" and it checks receipts against the bags.

flashguy

The point is you do not have to stop for them. You can walk right out of the store.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3955 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Yes, which I have done at Fry's -just walked right out- and based upon those two experiences with their now-failing operation, I never went back. I don't want to be treated that way. Everyone else in the world might be perfectly fine with it, but I am not. I'll leave my money with businesses that don't treat me like a suspect.

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
Last time I was in Fry's was in California and it was much the same as you describe. It's going to meet a sad end for a place that I used to love going to and spending time in.

Posts: 3655 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down With The Sickness
Picture of Sclass
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yes, which I have done at Fry's -just walked right out- and based upon those two experiences with their now-failing operation, I never went back. I don't want to be treated that way. Everyone else in the world might be perfectly fine with it, but I am not. I'll leave my money with businesses that don't treat me like a suspect.

I'm not fine with it either. Local store added self checkout lanes and a receipt checker at the door. Hire cashiers if you don't trust me to scan items. I'm not about to stop and prove my innocence to your minion at the door.

Posts: 659 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: December 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lechiffre
posted Hide Post
quote:
What's not to love about shopping at a place that distrusts its customers so much, they stop them at the door and ask to look in their bag and see their receipt?parabellum

quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
Their story is that they are actually checking to see that everything on the receipt is actually in the bag, that a lot of people leave some stuff at the checkout counter by accident. (Yeah, riiiight.)flashguy

I worked for Fry's for the eleven years prior to my becoming disabled. I can assure you that the receipt checkers are primarily there to make sure that the cashiers are ringing everything up properly. They find about 50/50 over rings/under rings. They are paid commission evenly either way. Fry's keeps track of the cashiers accuracy stats.

Fry's has plain clothes floorwalkers and monitored surveillance cameras on the lookout for shoplifters. Shoplifters are stopped outside of the store.

The receipt check is voluntary. they are supposed to ask something like "may I please see your receipt", you are free to decline the request. The only people compelled to stop for them are Fry's employees.

Posts: 609 | Registered: May 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What's not to love about shopping at a place that distrusts its customers so much, they stop them at the door and ask to look in their bag and see their receipt?
^^^
So true. Remember Crazy Eddies??? They would not do that. I think he went out of business years ago after he got in some trouble. Always got a good deal there even if the owner was a whack job.

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
What's not to love about shopping at a place that distrusts its customers so much, they stop them at the door and ask to look in their bag and see their receipt?

It's not as bad as going through the TSA line.

quote:
Remember Crazy Eddies??? They would not do that. I think he went out of business years ago after he got in some trouble.
Always got a good deal there even if the owner was a whack job.

Yeah, I remember them. Frown
[cliff.clavin] My company bought them in 1987 and afterwards when we found out what we got - it put us out of business. It ended up making my shares worthless. They were the ultimate crooks and our greed killed us. [/cliff.clavin]

FWIW, the whole check-your-ticket at the door is such a trivial gripe that has nothing to do with this threads intent.

Posts: 22857 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
I stopped going to frys about 20 years ago.

I had bought 10 DVD's from them. When I got home one of the discs was not in the package.

I went back to get it replaced with the receipt for the 10 DVD's and told them it was empty when I opened it up.

The response was...You have no proof it was empty when you left the store. WTF Mad

That was it and I have never stepped foot in that store again.

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3456 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Also FWIW, after we bought Crazy Eddies we retained some of the Crazy Eddie guys and they came here in Houston and they were great guys.
It was the original corruption of the primary owners of CE aka the Antar family that were the crooks in the deal. That and our company's blind ambition to grow and lack of due diligence in the deal.

Posts: 22857 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just went into the Fry's Sunnyvale location, hadn't been in awhile...whoa, ghost town.

Considering the rise of online businesses like Monoprice and others, surprised Fry's hadn't switched to a stronger online presence. They employ a huge amount of people and can only image the yearly costs and leases of their stores. When the bottom fell-out of the early tech boom, many of the workers ended up working for Fry's on the sales floor, it was(is) a bastion of middle-aged engineers and programers not hired by start-up (younger) tech firms in the late 00's.

Posts: 14571 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:

Around 25 years ago, a new Circuit City opened in the Birmingham area.

I went in, bought something, and walked out (with my paid-for item) past the security guards who wanted to inspect my purchase and my receipt.

I did not stop for them. They followed me out into the parking lot. One stood in front of my car while the other was at my driver's door window, with his hand on the grip of his holstered gun.

I told him, through the window that I had lowered about an inch, that my car was in gear and my foot was on the clutch, and if I saw that gun even twitch in the holster my foot was coming off the clutch, with his buddy standing in front of my car. Further told him that if he wanted to call the real police and accuse me of shoplifting, I would be happy to wait there IF he removed his hand from his gun, then when the police arrived and verified my receipt, I would sue the store, the security agency, and the two security guards personally, for unlawful detention.

What they had done was basically accuse me of stealing (false accusation), and threaten me with deadly force. Sorry, that shit does not fly. I do not recall ever being angrier than I was that day.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by bossman:
My local walmart checks bags and receipts also, in small town Iowa...

You can walk right out of the store. Once you pay for your items, they’re yours, not Wal-mart’s. I’ve only encountered receipt checkers once in my life and I walked right past them without stopping.

Yep, I smile and nod and keep on moving if it’s Wallymart. There’s been only once that a bag checker said something, but I don’t recall what it was because I just kept walking.

This, I refuse to stop....it drives my wife crazy

Started one black Friday, I had a pie and there was a line....screw that....they want to chase me for a pie?

Then I thought about it, I bought the item ....it's mine, let them call the po po....I have time

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Member clubs, like Costco, have an agreement that you have to sign when you join, so they very well might have the right to inspect on the way out. All I have ever had was a cursory glance, and the exit door check-person just swiped a magic marker to make a line on my receipt.

How about other stores, like WalMart? Shoppers do not sign an agreement for the right to shop there. I have never seen any signage informing shoppers that bags or carts will be inspected.

What is the legal status there? Do they actually have the right to inspect, as if every customer is a thief?

I just walk by them, paying no attention. To date, no WalMart exit door person has chased me out to the parking lot. Why do people stop for the door checker?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
I realize that theft it is a big problem for merchants especially so in big box stores where they can't watch everyone and more and more they are utilizing self check out. It would be very easy to just leave something in the cart and not scan it which is further facilitated where they don't bag the merch. as with Sams and Costco. But this checking at the door thing is annoying.

Seems like at Sams and Costo there is a bit of profiling being done. My wife and I walked out of Costco the other day with about 10 items in the cart. The checker girl simply looked at us and gave a cursory glance at the ticket and the cart, then just drew a line through the receipt and we were on our way. The two who were ahead of us in the line got a much more detailed inspection. I guess she figure us old farts looked honest and the other couple not so much.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Why do people stop for the door checker?

I do, as a matter of courtesy, as they are employees of the store just doing their job. In the 2 seconds it takes for them to look at my receipt is not worth getting all hostile over. It's merely for show anyway. You don't really expect a 70 year door checker to chase anybody out into the parking lot. Smile

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2073 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
I’ve been happy with the one close to my house. I’ll need some small part or something and I can swoop in they have it and I’m out. They also deal hard sometimes. I have a Denon AVR in my bedroom that I got for about 1/2 price with the sales price + manager’s coupon. Was way cheaper than Amazon or anything else.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12568 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
I mainly get small computer parts there now--cases and cables and whatnot.

Last time I tried to buy major components like CPU, GPU, and RAM, their selection and inventory was dismal.

Posts: 13046 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post