SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What 3 Words?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What 3 Words? Login/Join 
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted
Somewhere I tripped down this rabit hole and find it an interesting concept.

Someone has overlaid a 3M x 3M grid over the world and the assigned each grid three words. The idea is it makes communication of location easier. It is explained here.

If you want to figure out your three words, go here.

It was good for a unique time killer. Just last week, I found several great ses shells near quantity.subversive.wriggle. Have you been anywhere unique lately?

Posts: 3573 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
How is that easier than lat/long?

Lat Long
(38.896721, -77.036326)

Vs

chest.parent.always

If I go a block way from this point, I'm at forget.turned.films vs. 38.896315, -77.031788

How the hell would I know which way to go? Whether it was next door or 3 million miles away?

Pretty dumb if you ask me.

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6852 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ffips:

I clicked the link and it said I was at "Wyckoff Heights." This some kinda joke? Eek Wink

I can see some value in it in that it's much easier to remember 3 words than lat-long numbers, but I don't expect I'll be using their system.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
I'll stick to Universal Transverse Mercator (UTM).

Posts: 5760 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
rush.orientation.jumps

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6486 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
Fucking.Stupid.Idea? Roll Eyes

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6212 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
I tried:

This.is.stupid
You.are.dumb
Go.fuck.yourself

And got nothing.

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5751 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
whisker.tango.foxtrot is in north-east Russia

Easier to remember than TLA (Three Letter Acronyms)? LOL

Posts: 4818 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Somewhere I tripped down this rabit hole and find it an interesting concept. ...

One pill makes you larger, and one pill makes you small.

Stop taking the pills with bong water.

Quit licking windows, stop sniffing glue.
However, the paint chips are now safe to eat.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43881 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
I don’t get it

I get three completely different words depending on which part of my house I put the marker in.

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevbo:
I don’t get it

I get three completely different words depending on which part of my house I put the marker in.

It's a 3 meter grid, so that makes sense.

However, I still don't get the problem that this solution is trying fix.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
quote:
I don’t get it

The problem they are trying to fix is you have money, and they want some of it Wink

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
Lol, somehow I knew this would challenge some. It is okay to look at things from a different angle. I don't see this getting that big, but interesting that Mercedes decided to add it to their nav systems. It is just another tool to have in a toolbox...

P E A C E

Posts: 3573 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
fondle.my.buttocks
pining.for.fjords

Posts: 45373 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:

However, the paint chips are now safe to eat.

Red tastes best.

Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rusbro:
quote:

I clicked the link and it said I was at "Wyckoff Heights." This some kinda joke? Eek Wink

I can see some value in it in that it's much easier to remember 3 words than lat-long numbers, but I don't expect I'll be using their system.
Wyckoff Heights is the default--you have to pan out and scroll over to your part of the world/country/state/city etc. You can pan back in to get more detail when you get to the right area. My house includes at least a couple of dozen blocks with different 3-word codes.

I think the original purpose was for Intelligence organizations to have a reference system that was non-numeric and easier to encode. I heard about it on a recent NCIS episode, but didn't realize it really existed. In that episode, the location words were circled in a book using invisible ink.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
unarmed.beliefs.deny

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
You.Are.Here

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43881 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
Sure, but with longitude and latitude I still have some sense of direction and knowing because I know how numbers ascend and descend

So one point in my house will be different than the other, but because I can see how the numbers changed I can understand the relationship of how my position changed

That’s not the case with seemingly unrelated nonsensical words

quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
quote:
I don’t get it

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I have 3 words

lat, lon, elevation

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53179 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post