SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Antifa, conservative protests turn violent as demonstrators throw milkshakes of quick-dry cement at police and onlookers
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Antifa, conservative protests turn violent as demonstrators throw milkshakes of quick-dry cement at police and onlookers Login/Join 
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Graniteguy:
Kudo's to the LEO's in Portland who have to put up with nonsense with minimal (if any) authority to really do anything other than take it on the chin.

I am slower to pass out kudos here. I have seen footage of Antifa harassing motorists and Portland PD just looking on. Glad the protected species is starting to turning on their protectors.

Posts: 3146 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
The police are not allowed to do anything.
PPD is having a hard time keeping and getting more cops.
They just lowered the standards again to try and get more people to join up to be be spit on and have urine and feces thrown at them.

Neighboring county Sheriff won't respond to calls in Portland anymore due to the stupidity of the Police chief and Mayor.

Posts: 1477 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rhetorical question. WTF happened to Portland? (We all know what went wrong)

The wifey and I used to love doing weekend visits there. We'd fly in, rent a car, and drive around soaking up the beautiful scenery. Good times 10 years ago. No way in hell we'll return.

Posts: 7549 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Man, a 240B could do some work clearing out the trash on that street...

strategic claymores would be more effective.

Posts: 8146 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
If I encounter a mob, and many are wearing masks, all I see are spiders and snakes.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43877 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by powermad:
The police are not allowed to do anything.
PPD is having a hard time keeping and getting more cops.
They just lowered the standards again to try and get more people to join up to be be spit on and have urine and feces thrown at them.

Neighboring county Sheriff won't respond to calls in Portland anymore due to the stupidity of the Police chief and Mayor.

Gee, I can't imagine why all these LEOs are retiring from Portland PD...

"The bureau has 128 officer vacancies and hasn’t been able to fill them as fast as veterans are retiring, with another large wave of retirements expected in August 2020."

Complete article:

https://www.oregonlive.com/cri...r-and-beards-ok.html

Portland police chief relaxes education standard for new recruits, allowing no college; may also allow tattoos above collar, beards

Updated Jun 19, 2019; Posted Jun 19, 2019

By Maxine Bernstein | The Oregonian/OregonLive

Facing a critical staffing shortage, Portland Police Chief Danielle Outlaw next month is relaxing hiring standards for the bureau: A high school diploma or GED certificate now will be sufficient.

And there’s more: Tattoos above the collar and beards might also be allowed.

The change in the education requirement take effect July 1, the chief announced Wednesday.

The bureau has 128 officer vacancies and hasn’t been able to fill them as fast as veterans are retiring, with another large wave of retirements expected in August 2020.

“We will revisit the effectiveness of these changes after two years to determine if our hiring numbers have increased,” Outlaw said in a statement.

Times have changed and “what we look for in today’s police officer has evolved,” Outlaw said.

“Access to post-secondary education isn’t the same for everyone, as we know,” she said in an email to The Oregonian/OregonLive. “Removing any potential barriers for entry allows us to increase our selection pool and also allows us to become more competitive as an employer.”

Mayor Ted Wheeler, who also serves as the city’s police commissioner, supports the chief’s decision, said spokeswoman Eileen Park.

Past Portland police chiefs have grappled with the education standard for officers.

In 2001, former Chief Mark Kroeker lowered Portland’s four-year college degree requirement to the current standard: an associate degree or a minimum of 60 college credits, two years of active U.S. military duty, four years in the military reserves or two years of law enforcement experience at another agency. Former Chief Charles Moose set the four-year degree standard in 1996, arguing that the complexities of the job demanded more education.

When former Chief Rosie Sizer considered lowering the standard to a high school diploma or equivalency degree in 2007, she faced pushback from community members who attended her Chief’s Forum.

Then, some residents questioned the wisdom of lowering standards when the job demanded so many varied skills. And others didn’t like the suggestion that lowering the standards might improve diversity in hiring. But several supporters said life skills and street smarts are more important than a college education.

Outlaw said she’s choosing to align the bureau with state law enforcement standards for police certification.

The bureau will provide incentive pay to officers who pursue higher education and earn degrees. And as of July 1, applicants who hold college degrees or have experience at other police agencies will no longer have to take a National Testing Network exam. All others will have to pass the test within 60 days of being placed on the bureau’s hiring eligibility list.

Officer Daryl Turner, president of the Portland Police Association, isn’t too sure that lowering the educational standard will help the bureau, considering what he calls anti-police sentiment among some city commissioners and outspoken community members that he believes drives applicants away.

"Right now, with our catastrophic staffing issues, I don’t know if the changes in the hiring standards will help with recruits,'' he said. "People who want to come here want to be able to do the job. Right now, in the city of Portland, our hands are tied. We can’t enforce some rules, but we can enforce others.''

Turner said the bureau needs applicants who are "well-qualified'' and able to pass the bureau’s background checks, keep a cool head and think quickly on their feet.

Lt. Craig Morgan, president of the Portland Police Commanding Officers Association, said, "On its face, the GED requirement is concerning, because we really value education. With that said, we recognize the troubles with hiring and appreciate the Bureau had to try something different.''

In 2007, when Sizer floated the idea of requiring only a high school diploma or equivalency degree, then-police union president Robert King -- who is now the mayor’s public safety adviser -- was adamantly opposed and noted studies that showed a correlation between education and officers’ professionalism. At the time, King said, “Any time you step away from education as a criteria, you put the organizational effectiveness at risk.''

King said Wednesday the bureau is facing a staffing crisis that he couldn’t have imagined back then and that the bureau is “taking proactive steps to increase the applicant pool to address the risks we face due to officers shortages.”

“This adjustment is consistent with standards all across our state,” King said. The bureau "will fill the vacant positions with excellent police officer candidates,'' he said.

Turner said he’s also unsure about allowing tattoos on the neck and face.

"The Police Bureau should mirror the community it serves. Would someone with tattoos above the collar be hired by Nike or Columbia or other big corporations?'' Turner asked. "When police have someone come to their front door, especially in their time of need, what do they expect to see? They might wonder if they’re getting the service they need.''

It’s not right to judge people based on their appearances, he said, but it’s impossible to get around "first impressions.''

Morgan said he had fewer concerns about the proposed tattoo policy. "Gotta change as social norms do,'' he said.

Officers currently can have tattoos below the collar, but they’re examined to ensure there’s nothing sexually explicit, racially or sexually biased or could be viewed as discriminatory, according to the bureau. The same reviews would apply to tattoos above the collar.

Allowing beards isn’t as controversial. The main constraint: Beards wouldn’t be able to interfere with the proper fit of any police equipment or gear.

The beard and tattoo policies are in review and will be sent out for public comment. The bureau gave no estimated date for when the policies might change.

-- Maxine Bernstein

Email at mbernstein@oregonian.com

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
If I encounter a mob, and many are wearing masks, all I see are spiders and snakes.

hehehehe, saw what you did there Wink

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
may also allow tattoos above collar, beards

I see a lot of these types of fellows that look this way after returning home from foreign lands after various tours of duty. I'm hoping Portland is going to be quite disappointed when a lot of these types turn out to be returning vets with very little patience for Antifa assaults.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15573 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
quote:
may also allow tattoos above collar, beards

I see a lot of these types of fellows that look this way after returning home from foreign lands after various tours of duty. I'm hoping Portland is going to be quite disappointed when a lot of these types turn out to be returning vets with very little patience for Antifa assaults.

Then the PPD will not be for them.
I'm certain there are many fine and upstanding officers on the force now.
But when Mayor stupidfuck appoints himself as Police commissioner and hires an equally stupid liberal for Police Chief... It's just fucked.

Then, due to the way they are, some black "kid" gets shot waving an airsoft at cops after committing an armed robbery and the Mayor and Chief do not support the cop and all hell breaks loose again because some lil angelic creature was shot being the POS thug that they are.

It's a no win situation for the Police.

Posts: 1477 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HayesGreener:
These assaults will continue as long as these assholes are allowed to wear masks in public. If your state doesn't have a law against wearing masks that obscure identity in public they should. Mask laws in Florida calmed the KKK right down many years ago.

More than 2 people Wearing a mask and restricting other people’s rights by blocking a street or interfering with any right (such as their right to free assembly or speech) is already a violation of federal law.

18usc241

quote:
If two or more persons conspire to injure, oppress, threaten, or intimidate any person in any State, Territory, Commonwealth, Possession, or District in the free exercise or enjoyment of any right or privilege secured to him by the Constitution or laws of the United States, or because of his having so exercised the same; or

If two or more persons go in disguise on the highway, or on the premises of another, with intent to prevent or hinder his free exercise or enjoyment of any right or privilege so secured—

They shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than ten years, or both; and if death results from the acts committed in violation of this section or if such acts include kidnapping or an attempt to kidnap, aggravated sexual abuse or an attempt to commit aggravated sexual abuse, or an attempt to kill, they shall be fined under this title or imprisoned for any term of years or for life, or both, or may be sentenced to death.

"I don't own the night, I only operate a small franchise" - Author unknown

Posts: 2447 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by car541:
quote:
These assaults will continue as long as these assholes are allowed to wear masks in public. If your state doesn't have a law against wearing masks that obscure identity in public they should. Mask laws in Florida calmed the KKK right down many years ago.

More than 2 people Wearing a mask and restricting other people’s rights by blocking a street or interfering with any right (such as their right to free assembly or speech) is already a violation of federal law.

18usc241

quote:
If two or more persons conspire to injure, oppress, threaten, or intimidate any person in any State, Territory, Commonwealth, Possession, or District in the free exercise or enjoyment of any right or privilege secured to him by the Constitution or laws of the United States, or because of his having so exercised the same; or

If two or more persons go in disguise on the highway, or on the premises of another, with intent to prevent or hinder his free exercise or enjoyment of any right or privilege so secured—

They shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than ten years, or both; and if death results from the acts committed in violation of this section or if such acts include kidnapping or an attempt to kidnap, aggravated sexual abuse or an attempt to commit aggravated sexual abuse, or an attempt to kill, they shall be fined under this title or imprisoned for any term of years or for life, or both, or may be sentenced to death.

That is just one of many laws that they refuse to enforce.
When ICE was under siege from those assholes the Police were ordered to not do anything.

Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
Here's the thing, gents.

The media gets it wrong most of the time. The media, even Fox, plays word games that allow the ready to draw an opinion based upon facts not presented.

I KNOW that Antifa is a bunch of asshats that in free America they would get their little asses stomped into oblivion. I KNOW the folks doing it would be every day American's who don't want to put up with their shit. I KNOW that the MSM will label those folks as a bunch of white neo something or other, or Nazis, or KKK members. It's hard for the media to defend antifa if the headlines read "Common folks quell antifa riot". To make it work, it has to imply that antifa is fighting the Nazi's.

Based upon what I know, until I find out otherwise that the Proud Boys are the Hitler youth, they get a pass from me from judgement.

Today, our nation's violent anarchists (vandals) are referring to themselves as "ANTIFA." Remember when they referred to themselves simply as "The Occupy" movement? We had some representatives of the Occupy movement tear up some sections of Oakland back then. One of our local TV stations (KTVU) covered the whole thing. I took note of the reporter's name and emailed him. I simply asked, "What do the members of the Occupy movement want? I mean, what could be done that would calm them down, and satisfy them so that they no longer felt any reason to protest, etc.?"

The reporter emailed me back within 12 hours, and his response really mystified me.. The jist of his response indicated that for me to simply ask what it is they want made me a right-wing extremist full of hate!

If the media felt that strongly about supporting a group of vandals that never even articulated what it was they wanted (Occupiers), how much more vehemently are they going to defend ANTIFA - a group that is unambiguous about their hatred for Trump?

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10705 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I am guessing that Portland could be cleaned up in about a month if the police were given free reign to bust heads on the ANTIFA and other leftist terrorist groups

wear a mask, get shot - no questions asked

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53177 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bytes:
Rhetorical question. WTF happened to Portland? (We all know what went wrong)

The wifey and I used to love doing weekend visits there. We'd fly in, rent a car, and drive around soaking up the beautiful scenery. Good times 10 years ago. No way in hell we'll return.

I know your question was rhetorical but, it can't be stated enough: The Pacific NW or, really the North Coast (SF to Seattle), has a LOT of space and just a handful of urban centers. Urban areas are 'safe spaces' for the misfits, maladjusted, malcontents, self-isolating, confused and marginalized. As the national population has grown, these areas continue to attract such types from the surrounding hinterlands, along with becoming a beacon to similarly affected across the country. Like most communities in the West, a good chunk of these individuals come from back East, dissatisfied with things where they're from, they've found kinship with others in SF/Oakland/Portland/Seattle and have worked to create their utopia. The change became obvious when the WTO protests in 1999 happened. The police underestimated these people, politicians cowed and pandered to them and affluent liberals viewed them as cute, rebellious youth. The changes to the lumber & fishing industry replaced traditional blue collar labor communities with a hodgepodge of anti-capitalist, activist minded communities.

I just had a friend visit Portland with his wife, they're younger so, they weren't as aware of things other than the growth of Portland's restaurant scene; we both enjoy good food. Both came back complaining of the parks being overrun by homeless, gutter rats on every corner, angry lesbians stomping around all over the place. He remarked, I thought Portlandia was a funny show but, no joke, it's real life up there!

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
I am guessing that Portland could be cleaned up in about a month if the police were given free reign to bust heads on the ANTIFA and other leftist terrorist groups

I'm thinking it would only take a week if there was some serious head bashing going on. The ANTIFA cowards would crawl back into the sewer that they came from if they knew there was resistance to their bullshit.

Posts: 7549 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post

Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
What they need is a big new jail to store em all in.
Oh, wait.. They spent $58.4 million on a new jail and it never had a soul in it.
Sat for 15 years and sold it for $5 million. Building will be razed to the ground soon.

delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29695 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
The commies are rising in America. For many decades they lay low, calling themselves "liberals" and "progressives," and propagandizing in the schools so that "socialist" is now an attractive label to millions of Americans, and "communist," for these same millions, no longer evokes the horror that it should.

Communism is an ideology of oppression and death. In the 20th C, at the very least a hundred million deaths at the hands of Stalin and Mao. The scale of killing is so huge that only rough estimates are possible, and some believe that Mao alone killed a hundred million.

Now they are coming out of the woodwork. Crawling out from under rocks. Bernie. AOC. Antifa. Students protesting behind hammer and sickle banners. The Democrat Party is *this close* to just outright calling itself "The People's Democrat Party."

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11108 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

We have a similar law for the same reason in Alabama and I understand that Georgia does as well.

Posts: 165 | Registered: December 23, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post