SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Re: Colorado gay-cake case. How many did not know this? I didn't.
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Colorado gay-cake case. How many did not know this? I didn't. Login/Join 
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FN in MT:
I can care less if one wants to be gay, lesbian, whatever. I SO long for the days when they kept it to THEMSELVES.

A lady I love dearly said, a VERY long time ago, "I don't care what you do in the closet. Just keep it in the closet." Essentially, "it's your business, don't make it everyone else's."

God bless America.

Posts: 13487 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'll bring the whisky

I'll stop by the bakery and see if I can get a cake.

I'll bring the pisco. Also Colombian pan de bono and sweet fermented sausages.

Knowing more by accident than on purpose.

Posts: 14186 | Location: Tampa, Florida | Registered: December 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
quote:
Originally posted by FN in MT:
I can care less if one wants to be gay, lesbian, whatever. I SO long for the days when they kept it to THEMSELVES.

A lady I love dearly said, a VERY long time ago, "I don't care what you do in the closet. Just keep it in the closet." Essentially, "it's your business, don't make it everyone else's."

I think many people feel that way and with homosexual siblings I’m of that opinion. I really couldn’t care less but what irks me is when people want special privileges. And don’t even get me started on all the gender nonsense.

Posts: 4101 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jehzsa:

I'm not sure why a gay cake thread is making you crave sausage... Wink

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
I'm firmly in the camp of the bakery. Firmly.

If the lgbtoxyz mafia wants to get catered to, let them open their own businesses. Perfect opportunity and makes a statement.

Freedom of religion, freedom of expression, freedom of speech, and no one trumps the other.

I believe with all my heart that with arguably 3% of the population being gay - of all denominations - it's a losing proposition for them, so they go the strong arm way.

For this I revile them (activists).

Live and let live, everybody has the right to exist, but when you can't play well with others, all bets are off and you need to get knocked down a peg.

Posts: 2831 | Registered: May 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfe 21:
Seems like a real PITA to avoid putting 2 grooms on a cake. Does anybody know what the couple actually asked for on the cake?

I feel the same way. You have a business to sell stuff, someone wants to by your stuff. Sell them your stuff. Unless they wanted two big hairy johnsons touching tips who cares.

Posts: 5416 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
You have a business to sell stuff, someone wants to by your stuff. Sell them your stuff.

As a business owner, I disagree. I often "fire" customers who I can tell from the beginning are a pain in the ass.

I'm busy enough as it is. I'll sell to those I want to, and not sell to those who I don't wish to for whatever reason real or imagined.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15712 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:
quote:
Originally posted by jehzsa:

Oh crap! I'll bring donuts then.

Oh, wait... Confused

Big Grin

Knowing more by accident than on purpose.

Posts: 14186 | Location: Tampa, Florida | Registered: December 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
quote:
You have a business to sell stuff, someone wants to by your stuff. Sell them your stuff.

As a business owner, I disagree. I often "fire" customers who I can tell from the beginning are a pain in the ass.

I'm busy enough as it is. I'll sell to those I want to, and not sell to those who I don't wish to for whatever reason real or imagined.

Exactly, sometimes it’s easier to fire customers than to have to deal with them.

Posts: 4101 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrvmax:
quote:
quote:

Exactly, sometimes it’s easier to fire customers than to have to deal with them.

Problem customers who are hard to deal with are one thing. No one seems to know what kind of cake these two wanted. We dont know they were problem customers.

If a gay couple came in and prepaid cash for you to move a safe would you say no, just because you can?

Posts: 5416 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
If a gay couple came in and prepaid cash for you to move a safe would you say no, just because you can?

No, because I personally don't care whether somebody is gay or not.

Now, let's say they pulled up in their Prius with a "I'm with her" bumper sticker. I may say no, and it has nothing to do with them being gay.

I don't understand why some people think that because you provide goods or services that you are now bound to supply them to anybody who wants them with zero regard for the person who's providing them. If I don't wish to conduct business with somebody, that's my prerogative.

And why isn't this a two way street? Why shouldn't gays be required to purchase cakes from bakers who disagree with gay marriage? It takes two to tango, but for some reason it's only one half of that group that is forced to dance.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15712 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Amen, it's a two way street. A business owner should be able to refuse service to anyone for any reason, just like a consumer can refuse to patronize any business for any reason.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:

just laughed out loud....

this place is great! Smile

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11270 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gpbst3:
quote:
Originally posted by mrvmax:
quote:
quote:

Problem customers who are hard to deal with are one thing. No one seems to know what kind of cake these two wanted. We dont know they were problem customers.

What kind of cake they wanted nor being problematic customers are relevant. It is his bakery, he can choose what cakes he wants to decorate and what cakes he does not. He owns the business, not you so why are you trying to tell him who he should decorate for? My guess is that most people that think the government should force him to decorate cakes for everyone and put anything they want on the cake has never owned a business before and really do not understand the principle here.

Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
No one seems to know what kind of cake these two wanted.

It doesn't matter what kind of cake they wanted.

Posts: 20087 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
Sounds like they were grievance shopping.

quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
quote:
No one seems to know what kind of cake these two wanted.

It doesn't matter what kind of cake they wanted.

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
...for what ever it's worth, last week I had time to listen to a segment of Limbaugh reviewing the issue....

Unless I misunderstood his theory, there are 2 components to the bakery issue;

1) selling the product (cake) which the shop owner agreed to do;

2) contracting for designing/decorating the cake
(service)that conflicted with the owners perceived Rights;

Whether this assertion of product/service will be held legally true or not, it helps identify the issues to be resolved. I think.

The lawyers can perhaps clarify whether imposing the demand by one party for another party to labor against their personal religious convictions seems to be one of 'the right' to institute a type of slavery on demand just by walking into a bake shop.

I can't help but further confuse the issue than to ask how 'equal under the law' means some can be refused service while others can demand service just because they proclaim their right to be treated equally yet sue when they are refused such service. It's a logical paradox.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9853 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
You can read the transcript of oral arguments in this case at Link.

You can read the transcript of oral arguments in the link above, or listen to the audio here.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfe 21:
Seems like a real PITA to avoid putting 2 grooms on a cake. Does anybody know what the couple actually asked for on the cake?

There's a lot more to it than that. They essentially asked the baker to participate in their wedding.

Posts: 8615 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances with Wiener Dogs
Picture of XinTX
posted Hide Post
Wasn't it some time ago that a Wal Mart (IIRC) bakery refused to make a "Blue Lives Matter" cake for a local PD? They didn't run off to sue the far deeper pockets of Wal Mart (if that's who it was). They just found someone to do it for them and the public opinion took its role in dealing with the store. Which is how it should be.

“The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.” Ayn Rand

“If we relinquish our rights because of fear, what is it exactly, then, we are fighting for?” Sen. Rand Paul

Posts: 8350 | Registered: July 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post