SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Are your street signs getting taller?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Are your street signs getting taller? Login/Join 
Picture of vthoky
posted
I've noticed recently that a lot of the street signs in my town are being replaced... on MUCH taller posts than what were there previously. For instance, the new sign on my street offers both a "watch for children" sign and a speed limit sign. Standing beside the post, the lower bolt in the lower sign is just above eye level. The stop new signs a couple of blocks away are so tall one can't even reach the bottom of the sign.

I'm guessing this is an anti-vandalism maneuver? Or maybe making them taller makes them easier to see from a distance? I'm not sure, but I'm as curious as can be.

I almost wonder, with them being SO high now, if people driving "normal cars" (not trucks, vans, SUVs) are overlooking them (underlooking?). There. That's my random curiosity item for the day. What are you guys and gals seeing?

God bless America.

Posts: 13486 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have noticed that the stop signs and other signage in the School Zones have been enhanced. They are using an enhanced yellow and then red with the posts the same color. The reflective quality of the paint makes them quite visible.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
I think you are just getting shorter. Big Grin
No, I haven't noticed the signs in my town getting taller.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4014 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
According to the internet.. Big Grin, at least in some cities its so people dont hit their heads walking near the sign and it keeps the graffiti artists away.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I don't know if the signs are taller, but I have a hard time reading the names of streets at night--the signs are so high that my headlights don't illiminate them adequately.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post

https://youtu.be/K6EgTDaWHaE

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
It's so the nitwits with their head in their phone can pass under them without running into them. Big Grin

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sailor1911:
It's so the nitwits with their head in their phone can pass under them without running into them. Big Grin
I think they should be allowed to run into them. Maybe even make them lower.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
I'm not opposed... Wink

God bless America.

Posts: 13486 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
Maybe they’re just not sinking them as deep. Smile

Posts: 6956 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Signs that are too short can snap off when struck by a moving vehicle, fly edge on through the windshield and decapitate the occupants. Ouch! Tall signs snap off and go over the roof of the car.

Signs got taller quite a few years ago, so I'm not sure what the current rationale is. More pickup trucks and SUV's with higher ground clearance?

Posts: 1314 | Location: Gainesville, VA | Registered: February 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
From VDOT's MUTCD , Manual of Traffic Control Devices, Federal guidelines.

Standard:
04 The minimum height, measured vertically from the bottom of the sign to the elevation
of the near edge of the pavement, of signs installed at the side of the road in rural areas shall be 5 feet (see Figure 2A-2(VA) in this Supplement).
05 The minimum height, measured vertically from the bottom of the sign to the top of the curb, or in the absence of curb, measured vertically from the bottom of the sign to the elevation of the near edge of the traveled way, of signs installed at the side of the road in business, commercial, or residential areas where parking or pedestrian movements are likely to occur, or where the view of the sign might be obstructed, shall be 7 feet (see Figure 2A-2(VA) in this Supplement).

Maybe the local crews are fudging.
The MUTCD is the guideline for all agencies dealing with signs in Va.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
God will always provide
Picture of Fla. Jim
posted Hide Post
Global warming, so the rescue boats can see where they are. (-;

Posts: 4409 | Location: White City, Florida | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Thank you for that, Sunset_Va. They're darn sure meeting their minimums!
Maybe, as P210 implied, the old signs were sunk a bit deeper. Big Grin

God bless America.

Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
Gotta leave room to attach the Trump 2020 signs!

Posts: 6452 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
^^^^
Big Grin

Good point. I guess the neighborhood can put a lot more yard sale and lost cat signs up, too.

God bless America.

posted Hide Post
Haven't noticed a change in height but one I have noticed is there are street signs popping up that are surrounded with flashing lights.

Posts: 693 | Location: E. Central Missouri | Registered: January 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
Thank you for that, Sunset_Va. They're darn sure meeting their minimums!
Maybe, as P210 implied, the old signs were sunk a bit deeper. Big Grin

quote:
Originally posted by Steve Collins:
Haven't noticed a change in height but one I have noticed is there are street signs popping up that are surrounded with flashing lights.

You are welcome. 33 years of using that MUTCD.

It's because people are so absorbed now by everything but driving.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
its a perspective issue,
yes the top of the signs seem closer to the clouds in the sky .

but actually the sky is falling ,
bringing the clouds down to the sign top.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54600 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post