New
Find
Notify
Tools

Drain drama Login/Join 
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted
My daughter, my wife, and my 3 month old grandson show up last night. Henry's first visit here. I run the dishwasher just before they show up and notice a strange gurgling in the sink drain. My daughter is here about 5 minutes and tells me the toilet is stopped. Great, I'm already a half hour late to my 45th high school reunion.

Since I've been home alone for a week, why didn't I notice the drain was clogged and already have it fixed? No indicators of a clog since I barely used water. Turned out it was clogged the week before when my wife had 4 friends over and one flushed baby wipes down the toilet.

Pull toilet, run snake down 3 times without clearing drain. Offending material I later conclude was wet wipe wrapped around snake when I pulled it out.

Decide to run garden hose down drain to blast out restriction. It worked, but I was greeted by a geyser of less than sanitary water to the face, walls and covered the floor.

Only 2.5 hours late to my reunion gathering after resetting the toilet and cleaning the bathroom.

A classmate says there was a surprising number of classmates who hadn't come to previous reunions that had already left. Nobody said "You smell like shit!" Which may have been better, since I wouldn't wonder if I did.

Posts: 7437 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
ninnies who put baby wipes down the toilet should be sent to a gulag where they have to bail out septic tanks with a bucket.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Turned out it was clogged the week before when my wife had 4 friends over and one flushed baby wipes down the toilet.

It's always the women... Red Face
And they usually don't have to deal with the consequences. Confused

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23942 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
ninnies who put baby wipes down the toilet should be sent to a gulag where they have to bail out septic tanks with a bucket.

No kidding. I don't even care if they flushable on them. They go in the trash, not the toilet.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a plumber friend. The stories he could tell. The odd things that people flush down the commode. I am not talking preschool kids here. Use your imagination.

I solved the problem at my office with stopped up toilets. I went to a big box retailer and bought one of those toilets advertised to flush golf balls. It was worth the investment. I got the handicapped kind which sit higher and are easier on the knees. Some short people and kids complain their feet do not touch the ground. Cannot please everyone I guess.

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
It's always the women...

Sewer mice, that's what I would call them when I was in the business and they'd come back on the cable. The customer would ask if I knew what the blockage was and I'd say "swear mice", which was usually met with a confused look. I'd say "You know, they're white and have a long tail..."
Eek

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm a yacht captain, and if anything is put down the toilets aside from human waste or toilet paper, it clogs the toilet instantly and every single time. You then have to take the entire system apart....A snake is easy compared to this and a heck of a lot cleaner.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post