SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Why I'm Dumping Google's Android For Apple's iOS

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Why I'm Dumping Google's Android For Apple's iOS Login/Join 
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted
I didn't want to pull my previous, related thread, off in a whole new direction, so...

quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
So why are you dumping Android for Eyefone?

I've many reasons, smschulz, but, the precipitating reason is I've lost faith in the system keeping my data reasonably secure.

It's long been a dirty little not-so-secret that the Android system, not unlike a certain very popular desktop system Wink, is riddled with vulnerabilities. It's also known this is exacerbated by Android manufacturers and wireless carriers being slow to push security updates. (Sometimes never.) So even if/when Google does plug holes, many customers see the fixes very slowly--if ever. In this respect, Android makes MS-Windows, or even Adobe's Flash, look positively good, by comparison.

I've known this all along, and it's been mildly concerning, but, I figured I was relatively safe, because I never side-load and I stick to well-reviewed, "reputable" apps.

Turns out that isn't enough. Consider:

FalseGuide malware dupes 600,000 Android users into joining botnet

Beware! New Android Malware Infected 2 Million Google Play Store Users

There've been other such incidents, on much smaller scales.

Then there's this: Google Won’t Fix a Flaw Used by 74% of Ransomware Until the Release of Android O

All this got real personal, lately. My wife's Google account was compromised three times within the last few months. Twice within about a one-week period. That third compromise confirmed what I'd suspected: It had to be either her phone or her tablet were compromised. She's a careful user. Doesn't even know how to side-load. (Though she's smart enough to figure it out, if she'd been so-inclined.) So whatever it was had to have come from the Play Store.

I now place Android in the same category as Microsoft Windows, most all Microsoft Applications, essentially anything from Adobe, and the Java Runtime Environment: Not Safe. Do Not Use.

iOS, on the other hand, is widely regarded as the most secure operating system ever made. One tech. article I read asserted that there's not been a single confirmed instance of a non-jail-broken iOS compromise since its inception.

So Android's out the door as fast as I can make it happen. After my iPhone 6S arrives tomorrow, we'll be down to one Android device, and my goal is to convince my wife to give that up, too.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Report This Post