SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    All right... so I'm cheap!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

All right... so I'm cheap! Login/Join 
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted
All right... so I'm cheap!

Oil comes in 5 quart jugs these days. It takes about 4.5 quarts to change the oil. So what do you do with the rest?

I just left them in the garage until they really started to get in the way. I consolidated into one jug until I filled it to 4.5 quarts... and did an oil change.

My daughter, the engineer at the oil refinery, says, "Dad, I'm not sure I would do that.... they are the same weight but different additive packages." I say, it's a 2003 Acura TL-S with 265,xxx miles! It's probably better than the dirty stuff that was in there!

This is what went into this oil change:

OK. I probably wouldn't do this with a newer car... but look at all the jugs I now get to recycle!

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23949 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Worst case scenario is you finally start burning a little oil and use the half quart between changes!

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A Dad after my own heart, maybe we're twins in another life Razz

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wreckdiver:
A Dad after my own heart, maybe we're twins in another life Razz

Sigforum brothers! Smile

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."

-rduckwor

Posts: 23949 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
I would probably be more concerned with moisture since they've been opened and sitting in the garage than I would about mixing additive packages.

Posts: 13050 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Im lucky. My truck takes 7.5 quarts so I only have a half filled 5 quart jug at any time.

Posts: 5406 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Nope. I got you beat, brother. My Tundra developed a bad transmission. To get it to work right I had to change the fluid in the pan every 3 months. 3 quarts Dexron and 1 quart Lucas additive went in each time. The Lucas was so thick that I had to squeeze it out of the bottle into the funnel and it would take 30 mins to ooze down from there. There was always a good amount of Lucas oil left in the bottle that would take forever to empty. At 13.99 a bottle I decided to let each bottle drain into the first bottle until I had a quart to use. Took years, but I got my free fricken quart. Big Grin I got a new trans that year.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29608 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would probably be more concerned with moisture since they've been opened and sitting in the garage

Ya... probably right. But it looked better than what I took out! This car used to be my daily driver but doesn't get driven much anymore. It's been over a year since the last oil change... Roll Eyes
I was just cleaning it up a bit after sitting outside and realized that it needed an oil change... so I just decided to make due with what was on hand.

quote:
Took years, but I got my free fricken quart. Big Grin

Big Grin

-rduckwor

Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Same topic, different application:

Being both cheap and impatient, changing oil presented a conundrum: I want to use every drop out of every bottle, but I can't be bothered to wait for it to drain.

So, I put a bottle in the funnel and drain like 99% of it into the engine, take that bottle out and turn it upside down in a large-mouth quart jar and let it drip while I put the next bottle in the engine, etc.

One 5 quart oil change is good for about half an inch in the jar. A car, a truck, 2 tractors, a motorcycle and a lawn tractor...it adds up to enough to fill my oil can as needed. I'll add a dollop of chainsaw bar oil to thicken it up a bit, works great as drilling lubricant on my drill press.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
I wouldn’t worry about the different additives as long as you change your oil on a regular basis. I change my own oil every 5k with synthetic and I could go much longer between changes but at $40 a change I see it as cheap insurance.

Unless the containers are open any moisture that gets into a closed container will be minimal and evaporate as soon as the oil heats up. There’s no difference between oil sitting in closed containers and the oil in your engine.

BTW, someone makes a device that drains 1 quart containers. There are many out there: https://www.toolplanet.com/pro...AEAQYBCABEgKrnvD_BwE

Posts: 4082 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
My car is 4.5 quarts. I change oil at 5000 miles, but it uses a quart every 4000. So I keep the jug in the trunk, and when the oil hits the add mark I put the rest of it in. This gets it by until the next interval.

quote:
All right … so I'm cheap!

No, that's being smart and thrifty. Cheap is when you need salt to melt the ice on your sidewalk, so you send your daughter out to gather up the salt thrown onto the edge of the road. (Ex-boss, emphasis on the ex.)

Posts: 27838 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
When I drove a '77 Mercedes 300CD, the cute coupe diesel, I'd set the empties upside down on a jar in the garage, letting each drain fully for a day or so. And pick up another few ounces of oil. My mechanic buddy, cheaper than me, commented "Well, why not? You paid for the oil, might as well use it".

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
So I do this but in a bit different way. I usually have about 1 quart leftover. Next oil change I add that 1 quart first. Then I fill with the new jug. So I am always only storing 1 jug. I usually always use the same brand oil. Sometimes I've had different. I never thought about additives being different.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12407 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
Not cheap,just frugal. Wink

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2553 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Not cheap, just thrifty and environmentally responsible.
You can also fill up a small bottle for a lifetime supply of gun oil.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
When you get a new car but keep the high miles Acura, run the short interval synthetic change out of the new car recycled into the Acura. Then its called "Mobil 2"

I'm running the Redline I ran for 5K miles in my Silverado in my 1999 Accord with 215K miles on it.

Posts: 7437 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Non harm at all that I would worry about.

My wife's car uses a bit of oil so it usually gets any left over, and it also comes in handy for doing that oil change in the mower I have been putting off and oiling the grandkids bikes and etc. I keep some in one of those pump oil cans.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4118 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pbslinger:
When you get a new car but keep the high miles Acura, run the short interval synthetic change out of the new car recycled into the Acura. Then its called "Mobil 2"

I love it... Mobil 2 Big Grin

-rduckwor

thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Recyclers won't take oil jugs.

They do, however, make a much easier way to drop oil off than lugging the standard drain pan/bucket into a parts store or such. Easy to carry in 10-15 qts. at once, dump in their bin and stroll back out.

Changed oil in one car this weekend that requires 9 liters of an oil that only comes in 1-liter bottles and forgot what a pain it is without the big jug!

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12351 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
Our recycling center takes jugs.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post