SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Does China block AOL?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Does China block AOL? Login/Join 
posted
We're taking a Viking Cruisetour starting in a week, will be in country for three weeks. We're on a ship for a week, then in what appear to be good hotels, all with WiFi. Here's what Viking says:

"Please be aware that the Internet is censored in China, and select sites such as Google (including Google email), popular social media sites, and Yahoo email, are typically blocked, except in Hong Kong."

It's not CRITICAL that we have AOL, but we'd like to stay in touch with family and send a few photos. If AOL is blocked, then Mrs. Sigmund can post photos to Facebook.

https://www.vikingrivercruises...i-beijing/index.html

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
People still use AOL?

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:
People still use AOL?

(in best Jack Benny voice):

NOW CUT THAT OUT! Smile

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Information on China AOL policy

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43863 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Oregon
posted Hide Post
Get a VPN and it won't matter.

"Why is it every time I need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?"
-Dr. Thaddeus Venture

Posts: 6086 | Location: PDX | Registered: May 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Everyone in China uses a VPN. Kinda excepted even though the government threatens to stop their use. Business need then so the gov looks the other way for the most part.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16390 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No, but ALF tells me Melmac will. Big Grin

Posts: 17136 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oregon:
Get a VPN and it won't matter.
^^^This. Go here Tunnel Bear, subscribe, and you're good to go.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post