SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Tomorrow at this time I’ll be under the knife - new left hip
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tomorrow at this time I’ll be under the knife - new left hip Login/Join 
And say my glory was
I had such friends.
Picture of Hunthelp
posted
As the subject line reads...I am having a total hip replacement at 9 a.m. tomorrow.

Apprehensive but hopeful.

My pain shows up after long periods on my feet. But, what really sealed my decision to have surgery are the periodic “lock ups” I have had since the first of the year. Theses have been really painful.

Having it done in a 60-bed “surgical” hospital and am expected to stay two nights. I found a doctor who is doing the procedure from the front which I understand has a quicker recovery.

I would appreciate your prayers.

If my doctor follows through in my request to take a photo of my “head” I will share at a later date. He refused my request to have the head so I could mount it on a plaque and put it beside the deer mounts in the TV room.

"I don't shoot well, but I shoot often." - Pres. T. Roosevelt

Posts: 1941 | Location: Chandler, AZ | Registered: June 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hunthelp:

He refused my request to have the head so I could mount it on a plaque and put it beside the deer mounts in the TV room.
What, you're not entitled to your own body parts?

Best of luck with the procedure. Wishing you a full and speedy recovery.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30659 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
And say my glory was
I had such friends.
Picture of Hunthelp
posted Hide Post
Something about medical waste....phfff.

Posts: 1941 | Location: Chandler, AZ | Registered: June 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Good luck and get well soon!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38673 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Go to this website, https://bonesmart.org. A ton of information and a forum on hip replacement. There is both a pre and post op forum.

They also have a section on knee replacement. I had my right knee replaced last September and used this site to understand what I was getting into.

Sgt. USMC 1970 - 1973

Posts: 411 | Location: Columbiana, Ohio  | Registered: May 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
And say my glory was
I had such friends.
Picture of Hunthelp
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Mas. I’ll visit that site.
I have watched probably 15 hours of YOuTube hip replacement videos and done lots of reading. There is always something to learn.

SIG's 'n Surefires
Picture of M-11
posted Hide Post
Good luck and speedy recovery.

"Common sense is wisdom with its sleeves rolled up." -Kyle Farnsworth
"Freedom of Speech does not guarantee freedom from consequences." -Mike Rowe
"Democracies aren't overthrown, they're given away." -George Lucas

Posts: 6880 | Location: IL, due south of the Arch | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
And say my glory was
I had such friends.
Picture of Hunthelp
posted Hide Post
Some additional info...
I’m 65. From the age of 4 to 7, I didn’t walk.
I had bilateral Legg-Perthes, a disease of the hips which hits primarily juvenile males. The ball of the femor becomes soft so the treatment is to keep weight off the hips to avoid deforment of the ball or worse breaking the ball off.
I understand the medical community still doesn’t know what causes it. I was treated by braces (think Gump style hardware), body casts and wheel chairs.

posted Hide Post
Sell the old one on ebay. Someone may be able to use it?

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save today, so you can
buy tomorrow
posted Hide Post
Good luck with your surgery and speedy recovery. You will be back on your feet soon.

Posts: 1885 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hunthelp:
Some additional info...
I’m 65. From the age of 4 to 7, I didn’t walk.
I had bilateral Legg-Perthes, a disease of the hips which hits primarily juvenile males. The ball of the femor becomes soft so the treatment is to keep weight off the hips to avoid deforment of the ball or worse breaking the ball off.
I understand the medical community still doesn’t know what causes it. I was treated by braces (think Gump style hardware), body casts and wheel chairs.

Very interesting. We (the veterinary community) see this as a congenital issue in certain breeds of dogs (poodles come to mind). The issue on them is that they don't get enough vascular development around the joint capsule and neck of the femur, which leads to poor ossification and mottling of the bone. Of course, when you weigh in at a whopping 3 lbs, we can just do a femoral head ostectomy and take that sucker out, leaving you to walk on the joint capsule and surrounding muscular attachments, which form a false joint. Try that with you, Hunthelp, and you'd not walk again. Big Grin

Dunno if it'll apply to you, but I tell this story to all of my incoming ortho patient's owners: two people come in for the exact same hip surgery. One has a chronic condition with intermittent flare-ups that hurts badly for a short time, then gets ok for a bit, etc. The other was just in a car accident and is hurting like heck 24/7. After surgery, the car accident victim hurts the same or a bit less, the chronic pain person finds out what pain really is. My point is, same surgery, different perception of pain. Helps explain to the critter owners why their beloved dog with that chronic knee issue walked in on 4 and out on 3....

I know you'll be in better hands than my patients, and wish you the best in recovery. Now, just keep that e-collar on and don't lick yourself, and you'll be fine. Wink

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Best to you.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
Prayers sent Hunthelp for a successful operation and complete speedy recovery!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4834 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Prayer sent

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19173 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
Best of luck.

Posts: 3722 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
Hunthelp...you will be GTG...prayers sent for everything to go smooth with the BEST possible outcome with everything...

I had my right hip replaced in December 1992 at 39 years of age due to a 600 lb. boxcar door falling on me...within a year I was back to work at the railroad and was able to work until I retired in 2011...I did have the worn parts (ball head and plastic cup...think automobile suspension Wink ) replaced/rebuilt in Jan 2013 (two nights in the hospital)...been good to this day. I do every thing I want to do pain free (except play the piano, but then again, I couldn't play it before)...

I'm posting this to let you know that the orthopedic surgeons have this hip replacement thing down pat...

Any surgery is stressful and daunting...nobody wants to "go under the knife"...but the reward of a life without pain is wonderful...

Again, you are in my thoughts and prayers for a quick and complete healing...

PS...DO what the PT (pain and torture) folks recommend...they are at times mean bastages and enjoy their "work" to well...but they do have your well being and progress in mind...

Hang in there, all will be well Smile

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10585 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
Prayers up, and Godspeed.

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Best of luck. A buddy of mine had his hip replaced and two weeks later was playing golf.
I had a lot of stainless steel parts used to bolt my leg back together after I broke it during a motorcycle crash. I asked for it back after it was removed and got it all, including some really terrifying screws! I made keyrings out the stuff and I am still using them.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16086 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
Of course! Prayers up for a successful surgery and a speedy recovery Smile

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Soon you'll be good as new!

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post