SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Sleep Number mattresses?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sleep Number mattresses? Login/Join 
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted
Anybody have one of these and willing to share their opinion? The wife has been poking around with the idea, and I threw up in my mouth when I saw the pricing. The most basic model is $900. I really like the adjustable height on the head/foot area, but that adds damn near 2k.

I realize that you spend (if you're lucky) 1/3 of your life in bed, but holy shit.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17269 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post

Posts: 26893 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
The most basic model isn't that good. We started with one of those.

Now we have one of the mid-range beds, and it is very comfortable. Definitely a good choice for us, since the Mrs. prefers a different setting than I do.

Yes, they are expensive. I wouldn't have bought another one if we didn't receive a big promotional discount.

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10489 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:

Some good stuff in there. Thanks.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17269 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They suck and are a glorified air mattress. The issue I have is the temperature of the mattress changes the firmness considerably. If you keep your house at 74F and set the firmness, once 1 or 2 people lay on it and heat up the mattress it gets firmer and firmer, so if you get up in the middle of the night to take a leak it's now too hard......the air pump is noisy and etc.

I have a Serta hybrid mattress that I'm REALLY happy with. It's an innerspring mattress with a layer of gel and a layer of memory foam.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
No, no, no, and NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
We bought one of the top of the line ones about 8 years ago they have a 20 year warranty mind you.
The foam started to break down 3 years ago they said to rotate and flip it. That worked for a couple months now they say the foam needs to be replaced under warranty it will cost $685!!!!!!
I was a huge proponent of them until I find their warranty means pretty much nothing.
Comfy as all go get but not worth the cost for the life you get out of it. We're back to a traditional innerspring pillow top that was not cheap but not nearly as expensive as the sleep number and we are just as happy with our sleep.

We needed to upgrade to a king anyway. We put it in our 3 year olds room.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25408 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
They suck and are a glorified air mattress. The issue I have is the temperature of the mattress changes the firmness considerably. If you keep your house at 74F and set the firmness, once 1 or 2 people lay on it and heat up the mattress it gets firmer and firmer, so if you get up in the middle of the night to take a leak it's now too hard......the air pump is noisy and etc.

I have a Serta hybrid mattress that I'm REALLY happy with. It's an innerspring mattress with a layer of gel and a layer of memory foam.

What model did you experience this with?
We had the super dooper, split chamber, latex foam, memory foam, cooling pad the whole shebang.
Air pressure pretty much never changed and the pump was whisper quiet and never kicked in unless you used the remote.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25408 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not sure what model, but for sure one of the lower end sleep numbers. Yes the pump would only kick on when you use the remote....but then you get past whatever number you want........pump was loud, then I think it only uses a valve/solenoid to let air out which would go past the number you wanted......it was about 8 years ago and not mine.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nframe
posted Hide Post
We bought the I8 king size about 8 years ago. All was fine and dandy for 3 years then the pump started acting up and wouldn't hold pressure. The foam toppers would bunch up after 5 years. Once I found out how much (little) the Pro- Rated warranty covered I was pissed. Got the pump and new mattress pad anyway, close to $1000 and NEVER found the bed to be comfortable!
Finally back in June we had enough and I ordered a memory foam mattress from Amazon. It has the cool gel topper and was delivered to our door in 2 days. Total cost was $550!! It was rolled up in a tube, when opened and allowed to sit it filled up. I set the sleep # aside in a spare room and put the new Amazon bed on the old frame. Now 2 months later I love the new Amazon bed!! Feel better and no sore back.
I took great joy in throwing the Sleep # stuff in the dump!

Posts: 2912 | Location: mid S.C. | Registered: March 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
We bought one with the adjustable frame. It sucked. Horrible, not to mention way overpriced.
I switched to a Aireloom and sleep like a baby.
You're going to have to buck up and spend the $$ for one but it is well worth the price.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8524 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
If someone ends up paying three or four grand on a mattress and frame, you can pretty much be guaranteed that they will never tell you they don't like it or got screwed.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5035 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure of the model I own - it's one of the king size beds near the top of their line. I've had it for 4.5 years and I'm very happy with it. It's very comfortable. I don't have any issues holding the air pressure in the mattress or with it changing over time. I have changed the setting a few times as my preferences change, and I haven't noticed that the pump is particularly loud or annoying. IN any case, it's only on for 30 seconds or so. I have never heard it go on on its own - only when I specifically adjust it.

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
We bought a ulta super pillow top top of the line California King Sleep Number mattress some years ago, more than $6000. At the time, both of us had back problems.

Those have gone away, more from the passage of time, I think, than any miracle attributes of this mattress. It has served us well, and when we moved ~4 years ago, it was MUCH easier to take apart and pack than the equivalent sized ordinary mattress. When we reached our new home, it was hiarious to watch the moving crew trying to put it back together, too. I wish I had video taped it.

We had one problem early on, the first week or so. One of the chambers would not hold pressure. We called, and a crew came out the next day or so to replace whatever wasn't working, test it out, etc. No problems since.

I've had to fiddle wih it a few times, for problems with the bed frame. The movers came close to getting that right. Getting the mattress back in order is not a problem. There are onlne videos showing common issues to which I have had to resort only once, when the remotes stopped responding.

I spend 20-22 hours per day now on this one. So far, so good!

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of steve495
posted Hide Post
There have been other Sleep Number threads here, and opinions are opinions. We received our Calif. King in 1998. In January 2016, we took the bed apart to clean everything (under the bed...) and found what we believed to be mold on the air chambers and on some of the foam padding.

I contacted them and without hesitation, they replaced both chambers, the foam on top of the chambers, the foam insert between the two chambers AND the complete exterior wrap including the top padding and everything.

In short, we received a new bed minus the two side panels, pump and frame after about 17 or 18 years. Certainly, I think they took the mold issue much more seriously than issues some in this thread experienced.

We really have liked the bed, look forward to getting back to it when we are on a trip, and have no issues with the bed "getting more hard" at night with temperature. I think it is something like a 10 degree drop/rise equals a 1 psi drop/rise, so I'm not sure how that would even be noticeable.

We rarely ever adjust the bed firmness and I might hear that pump kick on once a year other than when the power goes out and it cycles for a second or two.

YMMV, and everyone has an opinion.

All of that said, if I was in the market for a new or second bed, I certainly would NOT limit choices to a Sleep Number bed.

Steve

Small Business Website Design & Maintenance - https://spidercreations.net | OpSpec Training - https://opspectraining.com | Grayguns - https://grayguns.com

Evil exists. You can not negotiate with, bribe or placate evil. You're not going to be able to have it sit down with Dr. Phil for an anger management session either.

Posts: 4989 | Location: Windsor Locks, Conn. | Registered: July 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bassamatic:
If someone ends up paying three or four grand on a mattress and frame, you can pretty much be guaranteed that they will never tell you they don't like it or got screwed.

Spent that on a Sleep Number and it sucked. Spent almost twice that on a Aireloom 4 years ago and I can't wait to go to bed at night it's that good.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8524 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you want a Sleepnumber bed, ask them about the reconditioned beds available when you chat online with them. Print out the conversation or ask for a confirmation number to take into the store with you.

We got ours this way. A king size, second level up from the bottom for just over a grand. We then put a memory foam topper on it and basically put it up to a bed that was selling for $8000 at the time.

Posts: 3664 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
We had a California king. Ours had the foam divider between the two air chambers. We called it the grand canyon. You would fall in and get stuck. We wound up stuffing blankets in the grand canyon to even it out.

We are much happier and more rested with our Simmons Beautyrest traditional mattress.

Posts: 17881 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Better Than I Deserve!
Picture of LBTRS
posted Hide Post
We had a high end Sleep Number and it was the worst and most uncomfortable bed we've ever had. Only made it a couple years and we had to get rid of it for a new mattress that we could actually get a good night sleep on.

Pure junk in my opinion.

We replaced it with a Tepurpedic Cloud Supreme Breeze with adjustable base and this bed is heavenly.

Posts: 4986 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: September 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have struggled with mattresses for years. Tempurpedic, memory foam, waterbeds (1970's), standard mattresses. Nothing felt comfortable as all were too soft, wore out too quickly, or were way too expensive and unreliable for the higher end product (Sleep Number).

I have solved my problem. After investing in three Tempurpedic mattresses I was still uncomfortable; they were too soft. At first I tried placing a piece of plywood under a standard mattress; it did not help. After purchasing the last Tempurpedic I was still displeased so I purchased a thick mattress topper from Amazon, put a piece of plywood on top of the Tempurpedic and then the Mattress topper with a mattress cover. Finally I have something firm enough. In two and one half years the mattress topper shows no signs of compression or failure. If it does, I will spend another 100-120 for a new one.

In short I solved my decades long problem for less than $150.00. Obviously this is not a cure for everyone but I am now much more comfortable,

Posts: 990 | Location: Windermere, Florida | Registered: February 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
Back about the year 2000 I rolled over and put my elbow through the single bladder waterbed mattress.... I replaced that with a sleep number direct fit mattress (super queen which is a size no longer made as it was six inches longer than a regular queen).

Because the waterbed frame is so rigid I have had no issue with my sleep number mattress other than some foam just under the top of the mattress needing replaced (I have done this twice for under $200.00).

I will when I am ready to replace this one go with an upgraded Queen that is a bit taller of a mattress.

Being a waterbed replacement mattress it has some four inch thick high density foam that goes under the mattress, but really no other bells and whistles other than a pillow top and the twin bladders (one for each side of the bed).

Posts: 3564 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post