SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    75th Rangers supporting fight for Raqqa Syria?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

75th Rangers supporting fight for Raqqa Syria? Login/Join 
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted
Is this "fake news"? Or maybe blowing out of proportion extent of support? Thanks.

The 75th Ranger Regiment hits the ground in Syria for Raqqa offensive SOFREP Original Content
BY JACK MURPHY 03.06.2017

After months of planning and deliberations, the 75th Ranger Regiment has been deployed to Syria to participate in the war against ISIS as the coalition closes in on the so-called caliphate’s capital city of Raqqa. Yesterday, the first images emerged of Stryker armored vehicles on their way to Manbij. This comes weeks after Rangers deployed to theater with their Strykers and elements of the 75th Ranger Regiment had been passing through Kurdistan.

By looking at the call sign tag on the back of the Stryker, it is evident that this is 3rd Ranger Battalion out of Fort Benning, Georgia, which has been confirmed via other sources. 3/75 has often spearheaded incursions into foreign countries for the Regiment, such as a conducting combat jumps into Afghanistan and Iraq during the invasions. The reason for this is because 3/75 is co-located on Fort Benning with the Regimental headquarters, making planning and coordinating easier since the other two Ranger battalions are stationed at Hunter Army Airfield, Georgia and Fort Lewis, Washington.

https://sofrep.com/76380/75th-...ria-raqqa-offensive/

And see photos here:
https://mobile.twitter.com/ari...s/838524636828663808

And here:
https://mobile.twitter.com/Jos...?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

I see elements of 75th Rangers have been in Syria since 2016 - but apparently in support of spec ops...

http://www.talkmedianews.com/p...ations-forces-syria/

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Good.

Get some.

Posts: 32495 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
Not sure how I feel about this. ISIL is evil and needs to be sent to hell.

But until we help the Iraqis clean up Iraq, we should stay out of Syria. That is Assad and Putin's problem. And I like the idea of sitting back and letting those two deal with their problems.

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
Rangers in Strikers.........huh? Why not a proper RCT or a Mech Div? Seems like a waste.....or maybe SOCOM won the coin toss

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ball Haulin'
Picture of entropy
posted Hide Post
Kick ass boys.

--------------------------------------
"There are things we know. There are things we dont know. Then there are the things we dont know that we dont know."

Posts: 10079 | Location: At the end of the gravel road. | Registered: November 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
The byline is Jack Murphy from SOFREP. That is a SOF based website/podcast.

Not fake news.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12320 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dewhorse:
Rangers in Strikers.........huh? Why not a proper RCT or a Mech Div? Seems like a waste.....or maybe SOCOM won the coin toss

'Cause we can. 'MERICA!!

SOCOM might as well be it's own branch of the service. The assets that make up that command all train togethet, work together, fight together. Larger regular infantry formations have their uses, but this type of operation is a SOCOM fight.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dewhorse:

Rangers have been using Strykers for over 10-years now. Delta's use of Pandurs during the '03 invasion proved the utility of light-armor given their proper application. Dropping-in heavy mech/armor from a main-line unit, would only increase the footprint and logistics tail, while possibly introducing inflexible unit commanders geared towards larger formations.

Posts: 14636 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
Delta's use of Pandurs during the '03 invasion proved the utility of light-armor given their proper application.

The Special Forces/Ranger AGMS (Pandur 1) is a sweet little APC. Armored. All-terrain. Amphibious. Self-inflating run-flat tires. 60 MPH on good streets. Mine/IED-protected. Air-transportable. Capable of being slung under a Chinook. Air-droppable.

Posts: 32495 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
Thanks...learn something new everyday

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mechanized Rangers - I've seen it all now... Big Grin

but to be honest - in that type of wide open terrain - with long range engagements - the Stryker is a huge asset to have at their disposal.

--------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:

but to be honest - in that type of wide open terrain - with long range engagements - the Stryker is a huge asset to have at their disposal.

Motorized.

Posts: 4584 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My embed-fu via Instagram isn't so good, so I'll just post this instead

From the Sheriff of Baghdad

Posts: 14636 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Main Thing Is
Not To Get Excited
Picture of wishfull thinker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CD228:
quote:

Motorized.

I'm not fluent in Army jargon-Is there a difference or is mechanized not used? <sincere face on>

Posts: 6386 | Location: Washington | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wishfull thinker:
quote:
Originally posted by CD228:
quote:

Motorized.

I'm not fluent in Army jargon-Is there a difference or is mechanized not used? <sincere face on>

Mechanized has tracks and armor, Motorized has Wheels. The phrase Motorized has fallen out of use in the US and is sometimes used (in this case) to gently poke the Stryker guys.

Mechanized is still very much in use, but it generally refers to Infantry that's rides in M2 Bradley Infantry Fighting Vehicle like you would find in 3rd ID and 4th ID.

Posts: 4584 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Interesting. I would have labeled Strykers and AGMSs as "mechanized" as well.

My understanding is that "mechanized" infantry have armored vehicles (like APCs or IFVs - primarily tracked but occasionally wheeled), while "motorized" infantry just have soft-skinned vehicles (like trucks). That is, it's the armor on the vehicle that makes the difference, not the presence of wheels vs. tracks.

But then my primary area of interest/expertise is WW2, where the difference between "mechanized", "motorized", and "leg" infantry was likely more distinct than today.

fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:

My understanding is that "mechanized" infantry have armored vehicles (like APCs or IFVs - primarily tracked but occasionally wheeled), while "motorized" infantry just have soft-skinned vehicles (like trucks). That is, it's the armor on the vehicle that makes the difference, not the presence of wheels vs. tracks.

But then my primary area of interest/expertise is WW2, where the difference between "mechanized", "motorized", and "leg" infantry was likely more distinct than today.

During WWII the Army created a truck mounted motorized infantry division. It never saw combat because it took up the transport footprint of an armored division while having the combat power of a leg infantry unit.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:

As I said it's an older term and a barb at the Stryker guys. In the Western side motorized meant wheeled and thin skinned as you mentioned. It has also fallen out of use in western doctrine and the US Army doctrine refers to them as Stryker units and not Motorized or Mechanized. Their actual icon set has circles (wheels)on it. Russia still uses the phrase Motor Rifle to describe their Armored car riding and Mechanized Infantry. For example the 2nd Guards Motor Rifle division assigned to the 1st Guard Tank Army in the Western Military District.

I use it as poke or friendly joke because the Stryker was very lightly armed and lightly armored in it's originally fielded form. The Stryker is finally getting the auto cannon and turret it should have had when it was initially fielded. Thanks to the efforts of 2CR. The hulls are also being or have been refit to improve survivability.

posted Hide Post
Interesting that the Strykers only had slat armor on the front versus 360 as in Iraq. I guess weight and stability issue experienced in Iraq?

Did read a while back that Strykers in Iraq did have premature wear on drivetrain due to extra weight of the 360 slat armor.

Posts: 1804 | Location: Austin TX | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
I had a 'light infantry' guy on my team in Iraq who was singing the Stryker's praises, including it went from 18 months(or less) from a proposal to a working Brigade, which he was a part of. He was brow beating a guy who came from the M2/M3 Bradley community, and was saying how much better his platform was over the Bradley in every way. It got to a point I chimed in that the reason why the R&D was so short is because the US Marines have been doing it for over 20 years as the LAV-25, and our NATO friends use the same hull in their APCs too.

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post