SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    There may be some woodworkers around here that will find this interesting.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

There may be some woodworkers around here that will find this interesting. Login/Join 
Picture of Seamus
posted
The largest single piece table top I've ever done. A 5' x 17' piece of Angelim Pedra. Much more work than it looks like. It really did not want to stay flat or in one piece. I think it's all set now.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Seamus,

"Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough."

-Mark Twain

Posts: 416 | Registered: January 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Wowzers.

I'm strictly amateur hour, but I have some notion of what went into that.

How did you keep it from cupping and/or splitting?

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15223 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow. You need a person standing next to it for perspective.

How thick is it?

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13399 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's beautiful. Good job.

Posts: 1570 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: August 17, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
What does wood like that cost?

Posts: 4623 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2489 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: July 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Seamus
posted Hide Post
PHPaul, Lots of swearing at it! As far as it wanting to curl up, we let it do it's own thing for about the last five months and then added some huge homemade tite joints. After filling with epoxy, we milled it flat,then sanded and sealed as quickly as possible.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Seamus,

-Mark Twain

Picture of Seamus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by armored:
What does wood like that cost?
Prices here.

Slightly higher prices after we get done with them. Wink

-Mark Twain

Picture of SR025
posted Hide Post
That's awesome, curious how much it weighs?

Posts: 841 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 04, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
How about getting it into that 5th floor apartment?

Seriously though, beautiful, amazing work.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Seamus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SR025:
That's awesome, curious how much it weighs?

Roughly 1400lbs.

-Mark Twain

Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Nice fix!

So, some/all of that dark vein in the finished product is epoxy?

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15223 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
That's a beautiful piece of wood and woodwork.
I have two pieces of chocolate albizia I brought from Hawaii that are severely curled, and I have not previously dealt with such an issue.
I am thinking about cutting curls, or perhaps V-shaped cuts into the back of the wood (the concave surface) and epoxying while having weight on it to keep it flat.
Is there a better way of keeping it flat while the epoxy dries?
The pieces are each about 14 inches wide and about 10 feet long.

I also have a nice slab of mango about 28 inches by 6 feet, would make a nice coffee table if I ever have a house of my own so I can have a shop.

Posts: 18057 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Seamus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
Nice fix!

So, some/all of that dark vein in the finished product is epoxy?
Almost all of it. I tinted it a bourbon color. You can still see the stainless rods in the epoxy. It really doesn't come through in the pictures.

-Mark Twain

Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
Nice. I love the grain.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21844 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Seamus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
That's a beautiful piece of wood and woodwork.
I have two pieces of chocolate albizia I brought from Hawaii that are severely curled, and I have not previously dealt with such an issue.
I am thinking about cutting curls, or perhaps V-shaped cuts into the back of the wood (the concave surface) and epoxying while having weight on it to keep it flat.
Is there a better way of keeping it flat while the epoxy dries?
The pieces are each about 14 inches wide and about 10 feet long.

I also have a nice slab of mango about 28 inches by 6 feet, would make a nice coffee table if I ever have a house of my own so I can have a shop.
That's a tough one. How thick are the pieces? Assuming you can get them flat without cracking, you may be better off machining out slots for angle iron. Make sure to oval out the screw holes to allow for movement.

-Mark Twain

Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Seamus:
PHPaul, Lots of swearing at it! As far as it wanting to curl up, we let it do it's own thing for about the last five months and then added some huge homemade tite joints. After filling with epoxy, we milled it flat,then sanded and sealed as quickly as possible.

I have a lot of appreciation for that project. (I'd still be a little worried that it wasn't stable.)

Very impressive.

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Seamus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by striker1:
quote:
Originally posted by Seamus:

I have a lot of appreciation for that project. (I'd still be a little worried that it wasn't stable.)

Very impressive.

Trust me, I'm not resting well yet! It will be mouted to three very large legs cut from a different slab. I'll feel good once it's in place and is mouted to those. It still has to make it's way up over a balcony to the second floor of an office building.

-Mark Twain

posted Hide Post
Gorgeous. Was this a board room/conference room table?

Posts: 990 | Location: Nashville | Registered: October 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting that!

That is totally amazing.

1700#? Wonder if making it will be more of an adventure than moving it.

Posts: 659 | Registered: June 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post