SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    this buisness of paying off Wal Mart lay away accounts
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

this buisness of paying off Wal Mart lay away accounts Login/Join 
Animis Opibusque Parati
posted Hide Post
I would love to be able to make that many people smile at one time. I have no clue what their circumstances are, but it would be fun to sit back and see their faces as they heard the words “no charge” as they were handed the things they chose for their families.

"Prepared in mind and resources"

Posts: 1351 | Location: SC | Registered: October 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Charitable people do pay off other folks medical bills too. That's a thing now too.

IMO -- Any kindness in the world is oh so welcome! I'm not interested in passing judgement.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: r0gue,

Posts: 11353 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Merry Christmas

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Author,
cowboy,
friend to all
posted Hide Post
Not a bad marketing plan, "hey someone is paying off lay away stuff at our stores, put something you don't need but want in layaway and maybe you will be a winner!"

Posts: 2400 | Location: Riverton Wyoming | Registered: June 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ed Fowler:
Not a bad marketing plan, "hey someone is paying off lay away stuff at our stores, put something you don't need but want in layaway and maybe you will be a winner!"

Winner! I'm cynical enough that my first thought when I first heard this years ago that it was Wal Mart paying it off to encourage more people to put more stuff on lay away hoping they would win the lucky draw. If not they just pay up. If they walk away Wal Mart puts the merchandise back on the shelf. Brilliant marketing really.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8504 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SSgt USMC/Vet
posted Hide Post
Here is a thought just maybe now that the lay away are paid some will actually use the money intended, for other uses like the bills.

Posts: 1949 | Location: Northern Virginia/Buggs Island, Boydton Va. | Registered: July 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
“Kids no Christmas this year...we had to sell the toys Kid Rock bought you to pay for your braces cause Bendable said crooked teeth are the work of the devil.” Razz

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
“Kids no Christmas this year...we had to sell the toys Kid Rock bought you to pay for your braces cause Bendable said crooked teeth are the work of the devil.” Razz

They’d be better in the long run without the toys. I grew up poor as did many people and lack of toys at Christmas has not affected me in the least. Heck, I’ve gone through a Christmas without electricity. Not one child I know out of all my acquaintances today is lacking toys, I’m sure most people can say the same. I see more spoiled brats with more junk than I ever dreamed of as a kid now days. They have too many toys and zero appreciation for what they have. I avoid Walmart but when I do go I never make the trip without seeing out of control children and lack of Christmas toys is not the cause of their behavior. Missing some presents at Christmas will not hurt them a bit.
Let me tell you a quick story. I’ve been teaching fatherhood and parenting classes to young men for about five years now. In one program I use a man stated that his most memorable gift he ever got as a kid was a coupon from his dad. The coupon was for 365 hours with his dad, an hour a day for a year. He said no toy he ever got compared to the time with his dad over that year. Kids don’t need toys for happiness so I don’t value gifts like I used to. Even poor parents have the ability to bless their kids by parenting them. That will reap much more than anything sold at wally mart. I’m stepping off my soap box now and I’m sure some will disagree with me. But, I’m doing what I think will help out fathers with their kids and others can pay off layaways at wally mart if they think that helps. Your statement works better as written than it does as sarcasm.

Posts: 4075 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
...do justly, love
mercy, walk humbly...
posted Hide Post
Maybe this same "do gooder" ALSO donates to the non-profits, cancer centers, local church, etc, and we just don't know about that, or haven't heard about it. It's not up to us to judge.

Posts: 739 | Location: Upstate, SC | Registered: September 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrvmax:
quote:

They’d be better in the long run without the toys. I grew up poor as did many people and lack of toys at Christmas has not affected me in the least. Heck, I’ve gone through a Christmas without electricity. Not one child I know out of all my acquaintances today is lacking toys, I’m sure most people can say the same. I see more spoiled brats with more junk than I ever dreamed of as a kid now days. They have too many toys and zero appreciation for what they have. I avoid Walmart but when I do go I never make the trip without seeing out of control children and lack of Christmas toys is not the cause of their behavior. Missing some presents at Christmas will not hurt them a bit.
Let me tell you a quick story. I’ve been teaching fatherhood and parenting classes to young men for about five years now. In one program I use a man stated that his most memorable gift he ever got as a kid was a coupon from his dad. The coupon was for 365 hours with his dad, an hour a day for a year. He said no toy he ever got compared to the time with his dad over that year. Kids don’t need toys for happiness so I don’t value gifts like I used to. Even poor parents have the ability to bless their kids by parenting them. That will reap much more than anything sold at wally mart. I’m stepping off my soap box now and I’m sure some will disagree with me. But, I’m doing what I think will help out fathers with their kids and others can pay off layaways at wally mart if they think that helps. Your statement works better as written than it does as sarcasm.

Well growing up poor and toyless apparently also made you humorless. Don’t worry...no one is asking you to buy in toys. Why anyone cares what someone else chooses to do with their money is beyond me. I would say Merry Christmas but from your post I would guess you are more of a Festivus kind of guy.

“...And at the Festivus dinner you gather your family around and tell them all the ways they have disappointed you over the past year.” - Frank Costanza

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Dusty78,

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
Charitable people do pay off other folks medical bills too. That's a thing now too.

IMO -- Any kindness in the world is oh so welcome! I'm not interested in passing judgement.

Exactly! What other people do with their own money is really none of my business. That some choose to be generous to others is, in my book, goodness!

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
They’d be better in the long run without the toys. I grew up poor as did many people and lack of toys at Christmas has not affected me in the least.

I grew up in rather harsh conditions, at least as compared to today's society. We were lucky to get one gift at Christmas. I still remember with great joy the Christmas I got my first gun. A single shot 22 Winchester rifle. I have to wonder how you arrived at the conclusion that lack of toys/gifts at Christmas has not affected you at all. I grew up in a loving but never what you could say rich, or even all that well to do. We kids typically got one gift that did not fall into the "necessities" category.

Was that 22 a necessity? I felt it was when I got it because it put a lot of meat on the table over the years until I went in the army.

In general, I find it somewhat puzzling that people can criticize others who spend their own money helping people they do not even know. It is called charity.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Well growing up poor and toyless apparently also made you humorless. Don’t worry...no one is asking you to buy in toys. Why anyone cares what someone else chooses to do with their money is beyond me. I would say Merry Christmas but from your post I would guess you are more of a Festivus kind of guy.

“...And at the Festivus dinner you gather your family around and tell them all the ways they have disappointed you over the past year.” - Frank Costanza

I look toward to feats of strength during Festivus.

Posts: 4075 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I look toward to feats of strength during Festivus.

Frank: Welcome, newcomers. The tradition of Festivus begins with the airing of grievances. I got a lot of problems with you people and now you're gonna hear about it.

Frank: You, Kruger. My son tells me your company stinks.
George: Oh, God.
Frank: Quiet, you'll get yours in a minute... Kruger, you couldn't smooth a silk sheet if you had a hot date with a babe!

Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
Ok, I grew up in poverty as well as some here. I have watched my dad sell and pawn stuff in the days before Christmas and buy some stuff just to put a gift or two out for my sister and I. Having said that, I don't like the whole Pay it forward bullshit. I never have.

If you want to do something. Find an angel tree at church, Starbucks, the mall, wherever, and go buy that kids items listed. They are vetted by the Salvation Army, and are in need. Do it right (IMO).

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3574 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BenderRodriguez:
I'm sure there are toys and gifts on layaway and maybe the do gooders wanted those families to have a memorable Christmas.

Money isn't everything. Scrimping and saving every penny while working multiple jobs because financially it allows someone to retire early isn't the formula for a rewarding life. All the money in the world can't turn back time, buy health or compensate for the missed experiences life offers. If you don't stop to smell the roses you'll be pushing up daisies before you know it.

I believe those families are going to look back and remember this Christmas fondly. Not so much if their medical bills got paid down/off because the insurance company weaseled out of paying from some BS in the fine print. Besides, medical debt is written off all the time because it's an over inflated number to begin with and their profits are massive.

THIS, my father passed away at 56 years old. BUT, it has to be a balance. You have to enjoy life along the way, but also put money away for retirement.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
I think that the original person doing this knew that eventually his name would get out and it would be good PR...

I heard Glen Beck talking about it today, he went and paid off some lay-a-way and the people started getting emails and text messages about the account beong paid off and come get your stuff.....Beck said he had no idea and that he was not able to stay ananomys

he also touched on doing something kind like this should be done quietly...and not bragging...

personally, do what you want to with your money...if you feel good and you have helped someone-Great.

I donate to the Shriners hospitals for kids becasue they once helped my big brother. and my parents and our family can never re-pay what they did for us-so I try to pay it forward to kids who don't have the means....

I don’t have a problem at all with paying off whatever for anybody, it’s your money and your right to do so and I appreciate the sentiment involved.

What I don’t care for is telling people that you’ve done it. Beck is notorious for this, calling attention to himself in such ways, this circumstance is just his latest, and now his whole deal is growing tiresome.

Posts: 817 | Location: FL | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shovelhead:

X2. One of the things I cited for retiring from full time work last year. Ex-boss tried to use the line on me to keep me working longer "The one who dies with the most toys wins." To which I replied "And you are still dead, your heirs win"

Good retort. I sometimes use the comeback, “When the game is over, the king and pawn go back in the same box.”

Posts: 4493 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You could probably pay off the layaway at walmart for 10-20k. Try to pay medical bills with HIPPA involved good luck with that. 20k will not get you far in medical bills.

Posts: 5406 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I asked at the billing office ,
the lady said "no problem "

we can not give you their information but you can get a receipt with a receipt number on it.

and we'd be happy to send your contact information to the recipient , if you require it.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post