SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Auction Week in Scottsdale AZ - who else is a fan/junkie?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Auction Week in Scottsdale AZ - who else is a fan/junkie? Login/Join 
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted
For those that don't know, this is the week for kickoff of collector car auction season and it all starts in Scottsdale. Big players are Barrett Jackson, RM Sotheby's, Gooding and Company and Russo and Steele.

The selection of cars in a few mile area is incredible and admission to all of these is pretty reasonable. If you are a car guy or gal you owe it to yourself to go to these events, at least once.

So who else has made these in the past, or is anyone going this year? We've had the good fortune of going 4 times. First time was a 25th anniversary trip with my wife (that's when you know you chose well!), next three were trips coupled up with some long-term assignments in the area. Each time you see cars that you have likely never seen before, stand within breath-fogging distance of multi-million dollar rare cars and get to mingle with a bunch of like-minded folks. All while in a great location to spend mid-January for both weather and food!

Mecum got the jump on these guys in headlines this year with the $3.74MM sale of the Bullitt Mustang last Friday, but I expect the balance of these to be really interesting. Those links provide online catalogs, live results or if you're feeling froggy bidding options. Barrett is on Motortrend and Discovery all week and weekend, and either Gooding or RM has begun streaming their auction on Youtube, need to look that up again.

What a blast. Plus you can spend a bazillion dollars day-trading cars in your imagination from the couch when you see all those bargains the others just missed!

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Love watching the B-J Scottsdale Auction. A couple of years ago my wife and I were making plans to attend, then bought our touring car at a Denver dealer and cancelled our plans. Still like to go someday.

Posts: 13166 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kuisis
posted Hide Post
Love the auctions. Have been to the Pebble Beach Concours once, years ago. Will go back . Didn't go to the auctions though .

Posts: 1129 | Location: Washington PA | Registered: November 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Read earlier that VIN 001 Viper is going up for sale. Formerly Iacocca's car. 6k miles & only expecting 100-150k. No reserve.

Being VIN 1 & the Iacocca connection, I expected higher.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Read earlier that VIN 001 Viper is going up for sale. Formerly Iacocca's car. 6k miles & only expecting 100-150k. No reserve.

Being VIN 1 & the Iacocca connection, I expected higher.

Looks like you were right! Went for $285K.

Good stuff in early days at Barrett. If you’re looking for me tonight and Saturday afternoon, I’ll be watching that!

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
Hoping to watch some on Saturday night. Unfortunately our cable company GCI does not include Velocity TV in their programming so hoping to stream on the computer.

Been to Barrett-Jackson several times and it's always enjoyable. Getting to see cars that previously I had only seen in magazines is amazing. It's fun, but I have to admit I enjoyed my first trip there in 2003 more than any others. It hadn't quite become the big social event that it is now and was much more of a, "Car guy" atmosphere to it.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11749 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2000Z-71:
Unfortunately our cable company GCI does not include Velocity TV in their programming so hoping to stream on the computer.

This year it's on Motor Trend channel and Sat on Discovery.

Agree on the good ol' day. Our first trip there was in 2002.

Given only a day or two I'd spend my time at Goodings and RM for sure.

Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
Yes sad, I just upgraded my cable service to include the, "Lifestyle" package to get MotorTrend just so I can sit my ass on the couch and watch...

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11749 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We too enjoy the car auctions. History lessons for car people. The gentlemen who provide detailed info are well schooled.

We trudge on.

Posts: 123 | Registered: March 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
I spent 3 or 4 hours watching the auction this past weekend or week (can't remember which day it was.)

Highest priced car I saw go was an old VW Bug. Never would have thought it would cost more than some of the sweet muscle cars I saw go thru...

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Because of where I live, and being a car nut, I have been many times in the past. Now I just sit in front of the TV and "pretend" to bid on some of these treasures!!! It shows that there are some folks that have a LOT of extra money floating around.

Posts: 6601 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
When the economy is good they get TOP $$$ for these classics.
During the Obama years, the prices were in the toilet....
So If you bought xyz in 2014 you could get up to 505 more at this years auction.

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8318 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
It’s on my bucket list.
Hope to go one day.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6309 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Seems to me prices are generally up pretty significantly this year.

Posts: 13166 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Yep big time junkie on these things, I record them and watch the next day so no commercial breaks,

Almost went to Mecam it's about an hour away however the crowds were massive around the Bullitt Mustang,

Normally BJ looks to have the higher end auction, but Mecum stepped it up this year.

I prefer the commentators on BJ Steve Magnante is a walking google search engine, vehicles types, numbers made, rear end ratio, vin position ID his knowledge is really good. Mike Joy is good too, they come across very well.

ALso like the BJ is a no reserve auction, that's why the Bullitt was at Mecum and I'd venture Mecam waved the 8% buyers fee...

Chris Jacobs is good to listen to and of course who doesn't like to watch uh listen to Christy Lee.

BJ also has the best post auction sales tag girls, the requirement must be to look good in jeans so tight you can see which side of the quarter is up in her pocket... which apparently the camera guy is constantly looking for...

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tinyman
posted Hide Post
BJ has never been my favorite. Too much begging and auctions that go on and on. There are some beautiful wheels to be sure, but Mecum auctions don't go as long and it seems they "move 'em on through".

Tinyman

Stupid people are like glo-sticks.
I want to shake the shit out of them
till the light comes on

Posts: 315 | Location: Leeds, Alabama | Registered: August 28, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
I am in the area for the Winter and my son and I had the chance to walk through the BJ grounds on Sunday preview day. The cars are amazing, but there are cars of all price ranges. Note the 5 hours we were there we were only able to look at the cars in the main building and two of the six outside tents.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4810 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you go BJ the last weekend (now) it's not only much cheaper admission but you will see a bunch of very affordable classic cars.

Posts: 76 | Location: Florida | Registered: February 23, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've never had the opportunity to go to one yet, but I will one day. I love watching the stuff on TV. Classic cars have kind of taken over my main hobby. I spend less time shooting now, and more time tinkering with cars.

Posts: 255 | Registered: February 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
I used to work across the street from BJ's HQ in Scottsdale. My office window looked right out on their front entrance. I got to see some nice cars getting on and offloaded there. In fact, they used to store some of their cars in my then-company's warehouse. I usually go to NAMM or SHOT this weekend, but am getting over the flu. So I might try to scare up a ticket to BJ if I'm back to 100% tomorrow.

Posts: 3493 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post