SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    .
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

. Login/Join 
Banned for
showing his ass
posted

This message has been edited. Last edited by: old dino,

Posts: 3190 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire for effect
posted Hide Post
Dino, I know that Kimchi is very healthy and contains many probiotics, but I have no idea how to make it.

"Ride to the sound of the big guns."

Posts: 7210 | Location: South Georgia | Registered: May 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I did a post last year. Almost any of the online recipies will work.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
You can have any of my future never made, uneaten kimchi also, along with what you make.

Frown Frown

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
old dino, I asked my wife, and she said she just followed these 2 ladies on YouTube to make it. Nothing special or secret that is her own. Sorry.

Q

Posts: 26346 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gong Show
posted Hide Post
I make a batch from scratch every three weeks or so and have rotating jars in my fridge. (Much to Mr. Gong Show's chagrin - he's German by heritage.) In my experience it's not so much the recipe used but rather how it's fermented. Fermenting in plastic containers (even BPA free ones) tasted terrible. Glass was better but still made the leaves a little mushy. Oongi has been the best.

Equally important is the kimchi paste. If you're going to make it, perfect the kimchi paste to your taste and work out from there. All the flavor comes from the paste itself. There's about 8,000 (okay, exaggeration) different varieties of kimchi so just experiment. Kimchi is the basis for so much awesome Korean food.

Not as important is how well you salt the cabbage leaves. Undersalting is worse than oversalting. What veggies you put in the paste is up to you but green onion is a must. I also do not use the shrimp as I have never cared for the grittiness it produces once fermented. I just use extra fish sauce.

For the record, you've now made me hungry.

------
Weird is a side effect of awesome.

Posts: 70 | Location: The Armpit of the Frozen North, USA | Registered: January 14, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted Hide Post
I made it for a while, but concluded it was cheaper and faster to buy it locally than go through the process. Flavor wise, there was not enough advantage to make it at home either; you couldn’t really tell them apart when comparing batch-to-batch. Keep on, if you are getting great results, good for you!

Never be more than one step away from your sword-Old Greek Wisdom

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oriental Redneck posted a video by Maangchi. I love her recipes. they all seem to work. I did her makgeolli (rice wine) recipe as well, which was pretty tasty.

https://www.maangchi.com/recipe/makgeolli

basically you can't go wrong with her.

There is something good and motherly about Washington, the grand old benevolent National Asylum for the helpless.
- Mark Twain The Gilded Age

#CNNblackmail #CNNmemewar

Posts: 706 | Location: Seacoast in USA | Registered: September 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you make and eat kimchi, don't be surprised, when people are moving away from you on the bus.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NK402:
If you make and eat kimchi, don't be surprised, when people are moving away from you on the bus.

In married student housing we had Korean neighbors who made great kimchi. Somehow I understand what you are saying. Smile

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scoutmaster:
quote:

In married student housing we had Korean neighbors who made great kimchi. Somehow I understand what you are saying. Smile

Can you guys remind me? Is it body odor or flatulence?

Early in our marriage, my wife allowed me one jar of kimchi every month. After a while she made me stop. I don't remember if she gave me a reason. I've since not had kimchi unless we go out to a korean restaurant or our dry cleaner gave me a jar last year that she made.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19645 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Perilla leaf kimchi is a version worth considering.

Posts: 425 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't know how they made Kimchi when I was in Korea, but the smell of it when they opened the crock would knock a Buzzard out of a tree.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I spent a year in Korea, so I am quite familiar with Kimchi. For regular users, it's not just bad breath, the odor seems to emanate from their pores. Two years ago, I was with a friend in Las Vegas, leaving the airport on a bus to the rental car depot. I was sitting on a bench seat between my friend and another man. The smell, which I didn't recognize at first, was so bad that I had to turn in my seat, so that I was facing my friend in order to breathe. It wasn't until we reached the depot, that I realized the man beside me was not the offender. It was the Korean gentleman beside him. All I could think about was how long it was going to take to fumigate that guy's rental car, when he was done with it, sort of like Seinfeld's BMW, that they couldn't rid of the BO smell.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
I love kimchi and buy it at the Oriental supermarket.

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:

It is an acquired taste. One that I've never been able to develop.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16192 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I spent a year in Korea, so I am quite familiar with Kimchi. For regular users, it's not just bad breath, the odor seems to emanate from their pores. Two years ago, I was with a friend in Las Vegas, leaving the airport on a bus to the rental car depot. I was sitting on a bench seat between my friend and another man. The smell, which I didn't recognize at first, was so bad that I had to turn in my seat, so that I was facing my friend in order to breathe. It wasn't until we reached the depot, that I realized the man beside me was not the offender. It was the Korean gentleman beside him. All I could think about was how long it was going to take to fumigate that guy's rental car, when he was done with it, sort of like Seinfeld's BMW, that they couldn't rid of the BO smell.

That’s too bad. I really love the stuff. Although having never been to Korea, I may not have ever had the authentic version.

Posts: 958 | Registered: October 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post