SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Is 0% financing always available for auto loans
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is 0% financing always available for auto loans Login/Join 
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted
I was just running some numbers and built a truck on gmfleet.com and noticed they're offering 0%. Is this something that's always available or will I miss out by waiting?

Posts: 45373 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
It's never available from banks, but sometimes dealers get it from their corp. finance departments on the stuff they really want to move. Doesn't get much better than 0%. I have 0.9% for my car and feel like they're fleecing me. LOL.

Posts: 3528 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
I don't think it's always available, but it will always be available again, yet you don't know when that might be.

How long can you wait?

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Another caveat, a lot of dealer make you give up some/all discounts & incentives in order to get 0%.

Run the numbers both ways.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15303 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save today, so you can
buy tomorrow
posted Hide Post
With my previous auto purchases, 0% APR is not always the best route. They require a “Tier 1” credit score, 800+ (that is what I have been told at the dealership). If you qualify, they will NOT negotiate on the selling price, and will sell you at MSRP or sticker price. They will also not give you any available discount/rebates. Each manufacturer and dealership will be different.

My mom was able to purchase a Honda Civic years ago at 0.9% APR for 60 months, and they let us negotiate the price down.

Posts: 1885 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ador:
If you qualify, they will NOT negotiate on the selling price, and will sell you at MSRP or sticker price. They will also not give you any available discount/rebates.
Nah. Remember, sales and financing are handled by different people at the dealership and you generally don't see the finance folks until the deal on the vehicle is already done. And at this point any rebates and incentives have already been factored into the deal.

0% is a corporate promotion, but there is one very important aspect before you sign on the dotted line. READ THE ENTIRE LOAN AGREEMENT before signing it. Cut rate loans like these 'can' include some rather ugly provisions and requirements. Just make sure you know what you're getting into.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
The dealer, and the parent corporation, will make money. If you're getting a loan for 0%, then you can bet the profit based on the vehicle price is enough to offset the risk being assumed by letting you have their money for dozens of months.

There are no "free lunches."

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
quote:
With my previous auto purchases, 0% APR is not always the best route. They require a “Tier 1” credit score, 800+ (that is what I have been told at the dealership). If you qualify, they will NOT negotiate on the selling price, and will sell you at MSRP or sticker price. They will also not give you any available discount/rebates. Each manufacturer and dealership will be different.

My mom was able to purchase a Honda Civic years ago at 0.9% APR for 60 months, and they let us negotiate the price down.

I was able to negotiate down a decent amount and got 0% on my Mazda 3. Credit score around 820.

Posts: 3660 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
crazy heart
Picture of mod29
posted Hide Post
quote:

Not true.
I purchased a new Toyota in 2004 and got very aggressive pricing and 0% financing. In fact, it wasn't all that difficult.

Posts: 1781 | Location: WA | Registered: January 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You can always negotiate the price down, regardless of what financing you take.

Generally 0% financing is available often for buyers with excellent credit, BUT it is usually always instead of rebates and incentives you would get without the 0% financing, that is how they make the 0% work. 0% is through the auto manufacturer, the dealer has nothing to do with what rebates, incentives, and 0% financing qualify.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
I’ve bought under invoice (several thousand under several times) and got 0%. Like said above you negotiate on the vehicle itself before ever discussing finance terms. If you are in an office doing both at the same time you do not know how to negotiate and have already failed.

0% won’t last in the long term. As already said above also, 0% is manu financing, straight from their bank. That’s the only way you can get it 99% of the time. My credit union is lower than banks and tier 1 credit auto loans are at 1.9%. If you can get a good deal on the vehicle and get 0% financing I’d do it. All loan rates are based on the Fed and from what I’m reading the % is going up not down. There will still be 0% deals in the future, just more scarce.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12624 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
I don't think it's always available, but it will always be available again, yet you don't know when that might be.

How long can you wait?
The plan was to wait until we pay off the wife's car. I believe 10 more payments. I'm hoping the truck holds together. We got the wife's car at 0% and it may be psychological but it's nice to see the amount you pay come off the balance.

Posts: 45373 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
I don't know if this matters but I'm not going to be buying off the lot. I'll be ordering a specific vehicle. How does negotiation work in that case? Do I grab my spec list and then talk to a dealer that will keep trying to sell me one that they think is "close enough" that they happen to have? I also have GM family discount available that has some effect on price.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
I don't know if this matters but I'm not going to be buying off the lot. I'll be ordering a specific vehicle. How does negotiation work in that case? Do I grab my spec list and then talk to a dealer that will keep trying to sell me one that they think is "close enough" that they happen to have? I also have GM family discount available that has some effect on price.

If you know exactly what you want. Email several dealers in your state when you are close to ordering with the exact options you want and come to an agreement on price. You probably can build the vehicle on the GM website (you can on ford) with the exact options etc and it will give you a sticker price of what the vehicles msrp is. I ordered my 2018 expedition and everything was set on price when I ordered it.

Generally incentives/rebates/financing/lease prices change month to month. I was able to lock in the current ones when I placed the order or let the chips fall where they may when the vehicle came in, which I did the latter since it was a new model and the current incentives sucked when I placed the order.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
0% comes and goes. If you order, you will get the incentives that are available at the time of delivery.

Shoot me your specs and I'll give you some pricing to keep your local dealers honest. I will include rebates and incentives available to commercial customers.

Incentives are rarely better than what is offered through GM employee/family discounts. I can sometimes beat them with Fleet rebates

Posts: 5317 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:
0% comes and goes. If you order, you will get the incentives that are available at the time of delivery.

Shoot me your specs and I'll give you some pricing to keep your local dealers honest. I will include rebates and incentives available to commercial customers.

Incentives are rarely better than what is offered through GM employee/family discounts. I can sometimes beat them with Fleet rebates
Can I just do the deal with you? Does it matter that were in different states? Big Grin

I'd really like to wait for the car to be paid off first.

Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DMF:
The dealer, and the parent corporation, will make money. If you're getting a loan for 0%, then you can bet the profit based on the vehicle price is enough to offset the risk being assumed by letting you have their money for dozens of months.

There are no "free lunches."

Yup. They are getting you on the loan, the new car, or the trade in.

Or they'd be out of business.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
You can. You'd be surprised at how many trucks I sell out of state, especially to the north east. They all say I am a lot cheaper than their local dealers. Don't know how, all dealers pay the same for the trucks.

If you are looking at the 1/2 ton trucks, ordering shouldn't be a problem, except for regular cabs. The HD's are gonna be slim pickins until later this year when they roll out the new 2020 model

Posts: 5317 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
I always negotiate the best possible price (with the online sales group) before the discussion of financing is a thing. I shop this with multiple dealerships to confirm I'm getting the best deal within a reasonable amount of money.

When it's time to square up, I already have my financing in order. I have tier 1 credit, if the dealership wants to offer me something better, i'll consider it. I am NOT playing some bullshit game of "well, that's the price if you use OUR financing". Fuck off.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9686 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:
You can. You'd be surprised at how many trucks I sell out of state, especially to the north east. They all say I am a lot cheaper than their local dealers. Don't know how, all dealers pay the same for the trucks.

If you are looking at the 1/2 ton trucks, ordering shouldn't be a problem, except for regular cabs. The HD's are gonna be slim pickins until later this year when they roll out the new 2020 model
I'm going to need a 2500. The 1500 isn't enough.