SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    2010 Ford F-150 XLT RWD 6-Speed Automatic Electronic 4.6L V8 EFI 24V - Yes or No - Updated with links Updated
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2010 Ford F-150 XLT RWD 6-Speed Automatic Electronic 4.6L V8 EFI 24V - Yes or No - Updated with links Updated Login/Join 
Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted
Our son has found this pickup on autotrader and sort of fell in love with it. His Mazda Pickup was totaled two weeks ago when it was hit head on by a DUI driver. Thank God or son was ok.

I have read some stories about the 6 speed automatic transmission. Most seem to be relating to complaints the first couple years of ownership and most were software issues.

Is this truck something we should really stay away from?

It is a 2010 Ford F-150 XLT RWD 6-Speed Automatic Electronic 4.6L V8 EFI 24V
Very nice looking truck

I will sign as borrower and him as co borrower. Don't want to see him screwed by the interest rate. Got preapproved by his bank and we are going to look - buy it tomorrow if it looks good and drives well. Carfax looks like it had 4 owners and maintained well. Accident repair was posted in Carfax.

2010 Ford F-150 XLT RWD 6-Speed Automatic Electronic 4.6L V8 EFI 24V

It has 132K miles on it

Any input appreciated.

Thanks
Roy

Carfax Report

https://www.carfax.com/Vehicle...0OkKeaWAaAZvbfGnMAl4

Ad

https://www.autotrader.com/car...UP&clickType=listing

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ontmark,

Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it! - John Steinbeck

Posts: 3878 | Location: Vallejo, CA | Registered: August 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shorted to Atmosphere
Picture of Shifferbrains
posted Hide Post
How many miles are on the vehicle?

Those are pretty solid trucks. The 4.6L is proven. Look for missing exhaust manifold studs and nuts, it is common for these to break flush with the head. Not too terrible to repair.

Also check the intake manifold at the thermostat housing. These will start leaking after a time.

If you do buy it, I recommend OEM oil and trans filters. The Motorcraft oil filters have the best anti-flow back valves. This helps with holding oil for cold starts.

Posts: 5199 | Location: Manteca, CA | Registered: May 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Yeah, need the mileage and what they're asking for it. The only other thing of concern is the accident/repair. Not knowing what or how much repair was incurred and how it was repaired would cause me to pause and rethink this particular vehicle.

Maybe someone else can chime in of this, but does this truck have Ford's two piece spark plugs?

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ford stopped using the 2 piece spark plug in like the last quarter of 2008. That was one big factor when I purchased my 2009, that I not have to go through that ordeal. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but that was only an issue on the 5.4 engine.

Posts: 248 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: January 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
The 2 piece plugs weren’t used on the 4.6.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3968 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just Hanging Around
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:

Maybe someone else can chime in of this, but does this truck have Ford's two piece spark plugs?

I think those were only in the 5.4s, and they got rid of them in late 2007.

Posts: 3235 | Location: NE Kansas | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They are solid trucks. It kinda depends on what type of accident it was in. 4 Owners would scare me or at least raise my level of concern.

I would want to have it on a lift to see what kind of damage it had. There are a million of these things roaming around so I wouldn't fall in love with this specific one because you could make a bad decision based on your heart instead of your head.

Posts: 3917 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Observer
Picture of phxtoad
posted Hide Post
I have the same truck in the XL 4x4 Supercrew version. Same motor and tranny. I've had it for 3 years and like it. I had to have the timing system replaced on mine though at 120K. That's the biggest issue with the motor. Otherwise, the transmission can really clunk when downshifting. Then just some some failing plastic trim, door latch, rear speaker wiring harness issues. Typical 10 year vehicle issues. Definitely seal around the third brake light.

Todd

phxtoad

"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Posts: 420 | Location: Tempe, Arizona | Registered: October 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
looks good to me. Accident must have been minor because it was during first owners time and vehicle was sold as certified after the accident. Nice topper and sure is clean. White is very easy to live with. Trucks in that price range sell fast in my neighborhood.

Posts: 4697 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
First off I am a Ford guy. Ford trucks are usually solid if well maintained. BUT a 4 owner with 132000 + miles and an accident I'd think twice. It needs to be gone over with a fine tooth comb or you may end up spending hundreds every few months for repairs. As time goes on and mileage increase its resale will go way down.

Fan of Sig, Colt, S&W, Beretta, Browning, etc, etc.

Posts: 168 | Registered: September 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
4 owners in 9 years? An accident? I'd pass.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4522 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
With that many miles and abuse, I'd fear the timing chain is going to be out of spec real soon.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
The timing system is a lot more durable and less complex in the 4.6 than in the 5.4.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3968 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here in the southeast, young guys tend to favor 2 styles for a truck / SUV: the “deer hunter” and, more recently, the “overlander”. Both require 4WD, a lift kit, new wheels and, of course, BFG KO2’s (kinda like Federal Tactical HSTs around this website).

We can all be guilty of using our truck to help define our desired projected image; young males even more so. Thus, i suspect your son will not be satisfied with that plainish white XLT.

More importantly, the 4 owners and accident are unnecessary risk factors. You can find a better example elsewhere (ie with a cleaner record).

Posts: 481 | Registered: June 24, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted Hide Post
Well we went to look at and drive the 2010 F150

It did have an exhaust manifold bolt right side front broken. The Air Conditioner did not blow cold. The A/C pump ran and clutch cycled as it should. Small line into fire wall was warm and large line coming out of firewall was cold with condensation. So problem is in the blend door or it's motor. Could be a calibration issue or a blend door issue. So we passed on it.

Well son was disappointed. We then went to a Ford dealer couple blocks away. Checked with a salesman and told him we are looking for a F150 Super Cab 15K or less. We went inside and he checked their other locations with no luck. Salesman went to the manager and there the manager checked inventory. There was one in the back lot. It has been safety checked. but not detailed. We drove it and Son really liked it.
No strange sounds when it ran or idled.

It is a 2008 F150 Lariat I believe. With the 5.4 V8 and 4 speed auto Has 81K miles on it. Carfax shows two owners and no accidents recorded.

Got it for $ 11,995 They are going to replace the windshield, detail it. and put two new tires on the steering axle. All the brakes have had new pads and the rotors turned. Everything worked and it drove well. Son likes the power from the 4.8 we drove earlier.

Thanks for everyone's input and guidance
Roy

Pictures attached.

Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it! - John Steinbeck

Posts: 3878 | Location: Vallejo, CA | Registered: August 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Save yourself some grief and make sure the spark plugs have been changed. They were the 2 piece that broke off until a December 2007 build date. Ford says in the manual they are good for 100k miles. From my experience with my 2008 expedition bought new and sold last year with 104k miles on it. Performance and fuel economy drop off about 20% at around 65k miles, install new spark plugs and it instantly comes back.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just Hanging Around
posted Hide Post
If the spark plug boots are brown, you have the newer style heads with the one piece plugs, and you won’t have any trouble changing them.

Posts: 3235 | Location: NE Kansas | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post