SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Zombie Deer Disease Rears Its Ugly Head: Canadian Government Issues Stark Warning About ALWAYS FATAL Infection
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Zombie Deer Disease Rears Its Ugly Head: Canadian Government Issues Stark Warning About ALWAYS FATAL Infection Login/Join 
Picture of downtownv
posted
Earlier this year, an infectious disease expert warned that a deadly disease found in deer could infect humans in the near future.

Often referred to as “zombie deer” disease because of the symptoms, Chronic Wasting Disease (CWD) has been reported in at least 26 states in the continental United States and in four provinces in Canada. In addition, CWD has been reported in reindeer and/or moose in Norway, Finland, and Sweden, and a small number of imported cases have been reported in South Korea. The disease has also been found in farmed deer and elk.

More here:
https://www.theorganicprepper....-government-warning/

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8343 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
From what I have learned, the European response is the best that we know of.

https://www.sciencemag.org/new...ctious-brain-disease

Posts: 9956 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
A good article, thanks.
I have been interested in prion diseases for many years and as I recall, the time I spent in the UK during a particular period is why I couldn’t give blood after the danger of “mad cow” disease was recognized.

But just as many people ridicule the warnings about other diseases, we can always expect the, “I’ve been eating venison and elk meat for years and I’m perfectly healthy,” comments as if they proved that CWD was nothing for humans to worry about.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
We've been keeping a close eye on this up here in Maine.
We had numerous cases of it in Moose and Deer (I've personally seen a deer case, called it into the wardens who then dispatched it).

Supposedly the meat is edible if you take care not to damage the spine or entrails, but I won't risk it myelf.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
At the risk of sounding incautious, there has not been a single case of CWD transfer to humans. Not one. When the first, single case appears, then I will spend time worrying about it. The chance of being patient Zero is astronomically low.

If at some point the prions jump the species barrier and humans can become infected and subsequently ill, we will be in more trouble than just hunters contracting the disease. Studies show that prions can persist in the environment outside of hosts for long periods of time. Prions are so hard to destroy that cooking them until they become inert destroys the food stuff it inhabits long before the prions. My point is that if the prions jump the barrier, nobody will be safe eating anything grown/raised/created outside of a lab. Any food source whatsoever that has direct contact with the outdoor environment would be suspect.

At the moment, I'm more concerned about the things out there that can currently hurt or kill me. I will follow the research, take only healthy animals (I have yet to see one that has the physical symptoms) take care to clean animals carefully, and avoid resivoir tissues, but I'm not quite ready to panic just yet.

http://www.virology.ws/2015/03...-a-threat-to-humans/

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15559 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
The South Dakota Game, Fish and Parks just issued some new guidelines regarding CWD. So far, there are only a few counties in the SW corner of the state that have reported CWD.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2086 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
CWD just entered the southern Yoop from Wisconsin not too long ago.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16067 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
Prions scare the hell out of me.

There's no treatment, no prevention, no immunization. If it crosses over to infecting humans, it could be really bad.

Posts: 3659 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Don't forget your umbrella...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43867 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Sorry about that. It wasn't intentional.

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2064 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by whanson_wi:
quote:

Sorry about that. It wasn't intentional.

Of course you'd say that.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gibb:
We've been keeping a close eye on this up here in Maine.
Supposedly the meat is edible if you take care not to damage the spine or entrails, but I won't risk it myelf.

Same here in Missouri.
The Mo department of Conservation does a pretty good job tracking it.
I wouldn't knowingly eat the meat of an infected animal but I'm not going to stop deer hunting.
So far I haven't personally seen it.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24066 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:

Will that really protect me from the falling sky?

Posts: 10912 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:

Will that really protect me from the falling sky?

Only if it is manufactured by the Umbrella Corporation.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11270 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not all who wander
are lost.
Picture of JohnV
posted Hide Post
Several confirmations of CWD in the county I hunt in and surrounding counties. The TWRA has basically called open season on deer removing many prior restrictions and extending the hunting season. They want a large sample size to test and to try and help stop the spread.

Posted from my iPhone.

Posts: 4313 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: February 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post