SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Question about higher gas prices in VA...?...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question about higher gas prices in VA...?... Login/Join 
I started with nothing,
and still have most of it
Picture of stiab
posted
I figured someone on here would be familiar with what has happened to drive gas prices up significantly in Virginia. I live in NC but am curious because it affects me.

I travel up to PA frequently, and much of that trip is in Va. For years gas was about $.30 cheaper there than in NC, but within the last several months that has reversed, and is now much cheaper down here. Our tax rates did not go down.

For example, I recently bought in NC for $1.829 for a trip up, and in VA paid $2.199. Did the Democrats raise VA gas taxes? Thanks for your input!

"While not every Democrat is a horse thief, every horse thief is a Democrat." HORACE GREELEY

Posts: 1859 | Location: Central NC | Registered: May 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
I live in south central Va about 25 miles from NC border.

Local gas here, where I buy was $1.92 yesterday when I filled up.

I think the higher price reflects NOVA?

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I started with nothing,
Picture of stiab
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sunset_Va:
I live in south central Va about 25 miles from NC border.

Local gas here, where I buy was $1.92 yesterday when I filled up.

I think the higher price reflects NOVA?

I usually buy in Winchester, and in recent years it was always less than $2.00. Now the only gas that cheap I see is in NC. Can't understand why the places I purchase at in VA are so much higher when overall gas prices elsewhere have gone down. Thanks for your reply tho.

"While not every Democrat is a horse thief, every horse thief is a Democrat." HORACE GREELEY

Posts: 1859 | Location: Central NC | Registered: May 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Over here on the mountain, regular is $1.89, and diesel is $1.99.

Sunset_Va may be onto it -- higher prices over in NoVa, just because it's NoVa.

God bless America.

Posts: 13495 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
$1.89 where i live. It's more than $2.2 when you get closer to DC if that's where you were

Posts: 436 | Location: Virginia | Registered: October 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I started with nothing,
Picture of stiab
posted Hide Post
I guess I'm not doing a good job of explaining my question. I know prices will vary by location within VA. But while prices have dropped significantly where I buy in NC, the prices have gone up significantly where I buy in VA. It has been a complete reversal.

Edited to add: Never mind, I found the reason. VA's gasoline tax increased this year, and will again next year. "Revenue from the tax would be used to help pay for Northam’s $3.7 billion plan to double passenger rail service over the next decade..."

Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
They also jacked the gas tax along 81 to pay for 388 more studies on whether or not another study is needed to determine why that interstate sucks so bad. Can’t imagine why there are wrecks all day on one of the busiest sections when it’s two lanes almost the entire way from Roanoke to Winchester. Mad

Posts: 13742 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
Yes, there has been a gas tax increase in VA. King Ralph and his minions need more money to piss away.

A rate of $0.262 per gallon of gasoline will be phased in over two years, and then indexed every year thereafter. The regional gas tax will be converted to a rate of $0.076 per gallon of gasoline and will be imposed everywhere in the Commonwealth that a regional gas tax is not already imposed.

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6486 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I travel back to the Richmond metro area about once a month and have noticed that gas around the Chesterfield, and Henrico area are about the same as parts of NC.

I will say that gas has always been cheaper down I-85 past Dinwiddie.

Whether it is Ohio, WV or VA the whole gas tax rate is a crock of crap

Plus--- I want my Wawa pretzel and Turkey Bowl.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leemur:
They also jacked the gas tax along 81 to pay for 388 more studies on whether or not another study is needed to determine why that interstate sucks so bad.

Big Grin

As a native of Roanoke, that's some funny stuff, in a sad kinda way.

Has Norfolk Southern RR finally given up getting Virginia to foot the bill for double track from Christiansburg to Winchester? NS has promised to practically eliminate I81 truck traffic if VA will just spend a couple billion to lay some track. Roll Eyes

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8217 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
It's jumped from $1.89 to $2.05 per gallon since Saturday here.

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1865 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I started with nothing,
Picture of stiab
posted Hide Post
quote:
They also jacked the gas tax along 81 to pay for 388 more studies...

That's relevant to my situation, because one of the places on 81 where I have bought gas for years that was always under $2 is now $2.199, so that helps me to understand what has happened.

Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stiab:
quote:
They also jacked the gas tax along 81 to pay for 388 more studies...

That's relevant to my situation, because one of the places on 81 where I have bought gas for years that was always under $2 is now $2.199, so that helps me to understand what has happened.

Just outside Bassett?

Posts: 13742 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I started with nothing,
Picture of stiab
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just outside Bassett?

Just south of Winchester at Exit 307 on I81. It has been disappointing to watch gas at that station go up significantly in recent months. But I understand now it was a Democrat thing.

Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
I filled up today, just north of Danville, $1.759999...

That was regular. High octane was $2.80999999...

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
^^^^^

Omgosh! I'm used to seeing 10-cent differences between the grades. Over a buck between "the cheap stuff" and the "good stuff?" Jeepers, man! Eek

God bless America.

Posts: 13495 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
^^^^^

Omgosh! I'm used to seeing 10-cent differences between the grades. Over a buck between "the cheap stuff" and the "good stuff?" Jeepers, man! Eek

Yeah, there's a $.70 difference between 87 and 92 octane where I live in Va.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shoevb
posted Hide Post
$2.19 a gallon here in Virginia Beach.

Posts: 1218 | Location: Hampton Roads | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
The last time I filled up in CA regular was $3.64/gal. CA has very high tax on gasoline, for the consumer and for the producer. Seems a couple of years ago the CA Gov wanted to sue the gas companies for cheating the people of CA, as CA has the highest prices in the nation. Then someone reminded him why.

CA had a habit of raising gas taxes for road repairs. Problem was, the gas tax money was spent elsewhere. There were complaints, so the next time they raised gas taxes, they promised the $$ would go to the roads - it did. But, they cut back the road allocation from the general budget, so the roads got no more $$ from the tax.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
They also jacked the gas tax along 81 to pay for 388 more studies on whether or not another study is needed to determine why that interstate sucks so bad. Can’t imagine why there are wrecks all day on one of the busiest sections when it’s two lanes almost the entire way from Roanoke to Winchester. Mad

they should have made I81 a 4 lane divided highway years ago, (as in 4 lanes on each side of the divide, where room permits)

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post