SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    New Smoker - need favorite web sites
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Smoker - need favorite web sites Login/Join 
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted
Wife caught a sale and got me a masterbuilt electric smoker. Uses wood chips. Can to to 275 degrees and has an electric meat probe...

Instruction book didn't include any guidlines or recipes, etc.

So - recipes ? or favorite website for applicable devices. I need to know what temp and how long and whether the vent should be closed or half or open and which chips to use, etc.

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live Slow,
Die Whenever
Picture of medic451
posted Hide Post
Malcolm Reed (Killer Hogs BBQ) has a website and youtube channel that I frequently use- HowtoBBQRight
His recipes are excellent, and he uses various smokers including pellet grills.
http://howtobbqright.com

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
- John Wayne in "The Shootist"

Posts: 3440 | Location: California | Registered: May 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
A lot of good tips and information here: https://amazingribs.com/bbq-gr...d-science-based-info

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just play around and have fun. There is a lot of leeway which is why opinions and techniques vary so much. Practice on lower cost quicker cooking meats like chicken thighs and legs, whole chickens, Turkey drums, ribs etc. The above only take 3-4 hrs to cook.

How I do pork ribs: apply homemade rub (equal parts salt and brown sugar, lots of black pepper, paprika and chili powder, then a little of whatever else you want, experiment)

Smoke at 225-250 for 2 1/2 hours, then wrap in foil with a cup of apple juice (water, beer, soda), then let them go another hour. My favorite wood for pork is pecan.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
My old low budget smoker, I used the vent to help control temp up or down. With this digital smoker - not sure if there is an advantage to opening the vent. Seems like leaving it closed would help keep the smoke in better...

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
A lot of good tips and information here: https://amazingribs.com/bbq-gr...d-science-based-info

Jim
^^ THIS ^^

They are way more than just ribs. Primary author is a chef, has a good test method before publishing a recipe, and everything I’ve made is a crowd pleaser.

They also have s meat scientist on-board and they’ve debunked a lot of BBQ old wives tales.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23101 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
https://www.masterbuilt.com/recipes/category/smoked

https://mrecipes.com/

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
quote:

Jim
^^ THIS ^^

They are way more than just ribs. Primary author is a chef, has a good test method before publishing a recipe, and everything I’ve made is a crowd pleaser.

They also have s meat scientist on-board and they’ve debunked a lot of BBQ old wives tales.

I third the motion. Excellent resource.

Posts: 7506 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
They also have s meat scientist

I missed that study in college dang nab it...

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
I keep telling my wife I want her to become a meat scientist...

------------------
SBrooks

Picture of Garret Blaine
posted Hide Post
No help on the operation of that smoker but my go to for recipes is nibblemethis.com. Some of them are grill but can be adapted to a smoker.

-----------------------------------

Posts: 335 | Location: Buffalo, WY | Registered: June 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SBrooks:
... electric meat probe...
Sorry for the off topic post but I just found my new band's name!

Posts: 45331 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by goose5:
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
quote:

Jim
^^ THIS ^^

I third the motion. Excellent resource.

GREAT SITE!!!! Cool

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I'll give you one tip free of charge. Smile

If you plan on smoking fish as well as beef and pork, do not use the same smoker if you don't want your meat to take on a slight fish flavor. I learned this the hard way. I love smoked Salmon and Trout and I do it in a Little Chief smoker separately. Well worth the extra expense.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Free from me to you.

My wife is from Henderson NC; home of Nunnery Freemans, InFamous for inventing steam cabinet BBQ.

They may have steamed what could have once been good meat, but they did have a really good sauce. Starting with the good pepper and vinegar recipe as given to good southern boys straight from the hand of God, they added just a bit of mustard to get something a bit different but not straying too far from the path of the righteous like that nuclear yellow baby diarrhea produced by Maurices in Columbia.

They recently went out of business so I've been working on duplicating their recipe for her, but with smoke and fire like a good christian southern boy. Smile

So:
Henderson style Carolina Barbecue Butt(s)
Rub:
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp fresh crushed black pepper
rub your butt and stick it in the fridge for a few hours or a day.

Basteing:
Combine the following ingredients in a medium size saucepan. Using medium heat bring ingredients to a slight boil and
Thereafter continue boiling for 5 or 6 minutes. Stir constantly until it begins to thicken.
1 Qt. apple cider vinegar
1 pt. water
2 T. salt
1 t. red pepper
1 t. black pepper
2 t. mustard

5 hours on the pit over pecan at 200 basting every hour with above. Then 1 hour basting with the below:

Finishing:
1 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
2 tbls real butter
1 tsp salt

Posts: 231 | Location: Reidville, SC | Registered: October 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Just cruise BBQ Brethren. Best BBQ forum I've seen so far.

www.bbqbrethren.com

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5373 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
When you get tired of that toy chip pan set up go here, they make pellet burning trays to fit in them. Thats what i did.

http://www.amazenproducts.com

I hope you have better luck with your than I did. My first one failed first smoke, shutting off mid smoke several times, problem with the control panel. The store replaced it. A few days out of warrantee the 2nd one did the exact same thing! I threw it in the scrap pile and will find something else to buy when I get back into smoking.

SirBeep speaks the truth on the finishing sauce. Makes it pop!

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4118 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SBrooks:
With this digital smoker - not sure if there is an advantage to opening the vent. Seems like leaving it closed would help keep the smoke in better...

Helps to regulate the chip burning... some.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4118 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
I have two of the Masterbuilt 30" models. Slap wore out the first 'un, so 3 all together. I assume you have an instant thermo, as the probe will stop working. Get a package of disposable aluminum pans: 1/2 steamer size. Sam's sells them in a pack, cheap. Put a pan on the bottom rack, unless you jest want a nasty smoker that drips grease. Cook Pioneer Woman's Perfectly Baked Beans in one. Also, when doing 3-2-1 ribs, put 'em in the pan and cover for step 2. I have to cut a rack in half to get it to fit, so 3 rib racks max with the drip pan. Oh, if you reuse the disposable pans, hold it up to the light to check for leaks. Get a cover from Lowes and order an overpriced stand online. Saves your back.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post