SIGforum
Question for technical recruiters

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/2610023354

February 11, 2019, 11:40 AM
4x5
Question for technical recruiters
I'm a senior software engineer and I'm thinking of changing jobs to something in defense or science. Can someone recommend a good recruiter to work with, or a decent job board to visit? The big job boards (dice etc) don't really work in those sectors. We are willing to relocate for the right job.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ
February 11, 2019, 11:52 AM
GWbiker
quote:
Originally posted by 4x5:
I'm a senior software engineer and I'm thinking of changing jobs to something in defense or science. Can someone recommend a good recruiter to work with, or a decent job board to visit? The big job boards (dice etc) don't really work in those sectors. We are willing to relocate for the right job.

Why not just apply direct:

https://jobs.raytheon.com/search-jobs

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".
February 11, 2019, 12:11 PM
DCR Workforce Development hires Temps for Lockheed.
February 11, 2019, 12:46 PM
matai
Are you interested in relocating?
February 11, 2019, 12:49 PM
4x5
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:
quote:

I've applied for 6 or 7 jobs with Raytheon over the years, but nothing has quite worked out. I was hoping a recruiter might have some good leads.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ
February 11, 2019, 12:50 PM
4x5
quote:
Originally posted by matai:

We are willing to relocate to certain areas. Unfortunately, I'm incompatible with California.

ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ
February 11, 2019, 02:45 PM
Broadside
The challenge for you switching into the government defense contracting industry is that you (probably) don't have a security clearance. So it will be challenging for you to find something in that area.

What industry are you in right now?
February 11, 2019, 02:47 PM
Broadside
quote:
We are willing to relocate to certain areas. Unfortunately, I'm incompatible with California.

If you are incompatible with California, then unfortunately you will probably be incompatible with any place you can relocate to where you can work in government contracting without a security clearance.
February 11, 2019, 08:36 PM
LS1 GTO
Northrop had a plant in Oklahoma City and Melbourne (FL)

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

February 11, 2019, 08:57 PM
matai
quote:
quote:

How bout Northern Virginia?
February 11, 2019, 10:26 PM
wrightd
If you're good, some defense contractor will pick you up and pay for your clearance processing, but your continued employment will be contingent on securing the clearance. You might also owe them a minimum amount of time or pay them back if it doesn't work out longer term.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster
February 12, 2019, 01:59 AM
GWbiker
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:
quote:

I've applied for 6 or 7 jobs with Raytheon over the years, but nothing has quite worked out. I was hoping a recruiter might have some good leads.

Sorry to hear that. University of Arizona (UOA) in Tucson has been doing Scientific work for the Federal Government. Space research and such...

Sorry I don't have the link.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".
February 12, 2019, 04:37 AM
Broadside
quote:
quote:
quote:

How bout Northern Virginia?

I guess you haven’t been reading the thread about our Governor. Virginia is becoming more and more like California with every election cycle.
February 12, 2019, 04:39 AM
Broadside
quote:
Originally posted by wrightd:
If you're good, some defense contractor will pick you up and pay for your clearance processing, but your continued employment will be contingent on securing the clearance. You might also owe them a minimum amount of time or pay them back if it doesn't work out longer term.

I can’t think of one instance where we’ve done that. I’ve been working for a large government defense contractor for ten years now.

Have you looked for anything around Hill AFB?

Honestly, I don’t think it is worth working for a government contractor. You are better off trying to find something directly with the government.

If you can get on with the government to get a clearance, you can leave after you have it and go work for a small GovCon that will pay better.
February 12, 2019, 01:03 PM
Shaql
Emails sent yesterday...

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.
February 12, 2019, 02:10 PM
4x5
quote:
Originally posted by Shaql:
Emails sent yesterday...

Thanks, Shaql. I just saw it and replied.

ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ