SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Frustrated with major appliances - now refrigerators
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Frustrated with major appliances - now refrigerators Login/Join 
posted
I have become very frustrated with major appliances these days. They last much less than in the past, are expensive to replace, yet not worth the cost to repair.

I've only been getting 5-7 years out of each washing machine (mostly Whirlpool Duets), and they cost over $1000 each. It used to be you could buy a Maytag and it would last for 15-20 years.

I've recently replaced a dishwasher, and washing machine. For the washing machine, I broke down and bought a Speed-Queen. I am hoping the speed queen will last a good 10 years or so.

Today, I had a service technician come to service my $2700 LG Bottom-drawer refrigerator freezer. The in-door ice maker is not making sufficient ice. He tells me that it will cost about $300 parts and labor to replace the ice maker. This does NOT bother me - $300 repair on a $2700 refrigerator is not that bad. But what he said next REALLY bothered me.

He said that these refrigerators typically only last about 7-8 years, and it may not be worth it to invest the $300 to fix the ice maker. REALLY? A $2700 refrigerator is on its last legs at only 7 years of age???!!!?

I then asked him what brands last longer - he said they're all this way now.

Appliance Brad - or anyone else with an opinion - what is a decent refrigerator-freezer, 25 Cubic feet or bigger, that will last longer than 7-8 years? Is there a "Speed-Queen" like brand of refrigerator freezers? Very frustrated...

Posts: 941 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: February 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rexles
posted Hide Post
I Bought a fridge last Nov. I told the appliance salesman my GE was 20 yrs old. He told me " don't expect the new one to last that long" Sad. Everything is disposable now.

NRA Life member
NRA Certified Instructor
"Our duty is to serve the mission, and if we're not doing that, then we have no right to call what we do service" Marcus Luttrell

Posts: 1110 | Location: Holland, OH | Registered: May 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I tend to believe that, to some extent, simpler appliances last longer and are less troublesome. This based on owning numerous rent houses that have smallish, top freezer fridges without ice makers and water dispensers.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 9mmnut
posted Hide Post
Just repaired our freezer. Door that opens to drop the ice would not close. Went on line and found video showing how to repair. Ordered part for $30.00 and fixed it myself. Saved at least a $75.00 service call. You can probably repair yours for half that price. Check it out.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Southern ,Mi. | Registered: October 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post