SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Windproof umbrella recommendations?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Windproof umbrella recommendations? Login/Join 
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted
Does anybody have a recommendation for a super strong umbrella that can withstand strong winds? I'd like to give one as a gift, hopefully one that won't bust $100.

Personally, I'm so tired of winds destroying my umbrellas, I'd like one that would snap my arm off before it breaks into pieces in a strong gust.

Posts: 5585 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
Davek NY umbrellas are expensive (the cheapest ones are right at the top of your budget), but they are very well made and have an unconditional lifetime guarantee. If you break one, you pay shipping and they fix it or send you a new one.

https://davekny.com/pages/lifetime-guarantee

I also have a couple of inexpensive "Repel" brand umbrellas I bought off Amazon that have been good so far, but they aren't as well made and the collapsing ones don't collapse as small as the Davek umbrellas.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
Actually, those look pretty good. Thanks for the suggestion, maladat.

Posts: 5585 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
I own a davek. Lifetime guaranty, if u lose it you get a half off voucer. It is 150 bucks but has titanium jardware. I have bucked 60mph gusts with it to my coworkers surprise.

Best umbrella ever. I have the elite.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
Do you think the retractable ones would be significantly less strong and sturdy?

Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
I imagine the non-collapsing ones are stronger than the collapsing ones, just based on general mechanical principles, but the collapsing ones are still extremely sturdy and covered by the lifetime guarantee.

I bought a Davek Duet umbrella a while ago because it was the largest (when open) umbrella I could find that would collapse small enough to fit in my work bag. I've been very happy with it. My wife and I have also had some of the smaller collapsible Davek umbrellas before and have never had a problem with any of them (and we've broken lots of other umbrellas).

I've actually never tried any of the non-collapsing Davek umbrellas.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the advice. I think I'll try one of these Daveks. Now I'm intrigued.

always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
https://weathermanumbrella.com/ Lifetime warranty Smile

Weatherman makes umbrellas that last forever and they've partnered with Folds of Honor to help send military children to school. For each limited edition umbrella sold, Weatherman is donating $5 to the Folds of Honor Foundation to help provide scholarships to families of fallen and disabled service members.

We need your help to sell out for veterans! Now through Sunday, 10% OFF and free shipping on these patriotic umbrellas and anything else in the Weatherman Umbrella store with discount code STARGAZER.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16208 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
Those sound cool too! Fits my budget a little better. Thanks, bald1.

posted Hide Post
I have a Blunt umbrella. It is designed by an aerospace engineer, and I have used it over 4 summers. Since I cant drive due to medical conditions, I walk all over the place, take the bus etc a lot. So my umbrella get a lot of use. I paid $79.00 for my Blunt Golf umbrella. A dependable product that I have been very happy with. Check out their website, and they might be running their Christmas sales around now.

If you think you can, YOU WILL!!!!!

Posts: 3833 | Location: Wolverine-Land!!!! | Registered: August 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
The Blunt umbrellas sound cool, but their advertising slogan gives me pause - "If Apple made an umbrella, it would be Blunt." So, like the handle will start immediately fraying and then it'll be out of date in a few months? Razz

Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
I haven't tried a Blunt umbrella, but from what I have read, they are durable and well made, but the scalloped canopy shape means they don't keep you as dry as a traditional canopy shape with the same rib length.

always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LastCubScout:
Those sound cool too! Fits my budget a little better. Thanks, bald1.

Yup their Stick model handles winds up to 55mph too. $59 before discounts. Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16208 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
Excellent tips. Thanks.

Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Annnnnnnd... Sig Forum cost me money again!

Actually a great Idea for a Christmas present for the wife. I don't think she has ever had one that cost over 5 bucks, and she got what she paid for...

I see Amazon has the brands mentioned above.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post