SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Has anyone suffered from migraines or a sinus infection after an eye exam?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Has anyone suffered from migraines or a sinus infection after an eye exam? Login/Join 
posted
I recently had an eye exam less than a week ago as we all get older the eyes aren't what they used to be.The doctor dilated my eyes and I had no problem for the first day or so but after that, I have had some bad migraine headaches that last for a couple days and it seems I might be having some type of sinus inflammation and feel pressure behind my eyes. Anyone else have this problem? Is there any relation?

Posts: 6840 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not likely. Eye drops are sterile and most offices are pretty particular about infection control. Sinus headaches and migraines are no fun.

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You can't go
home again
Picture of LBAR15
posted Hide Post
Did you end up getting a new prescription for lenses or contacts? If anything has changed in that regard after the visit that change in strength my very well be triggering the headaches as your eyes try to adjust. I've suffered from migraines for years, i find for me though food is a huge trigger. Sugar or aged cheese really messes me up the next day.

---------------------------------------
Life Member NRA

“If you realize that all things change, there is nothing you will try to hold on to. If you are not afraid of dying, there is nothing you cannot achieve." - Lao Tzu

Posts: 4635 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: June 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Anarion
posted Hide Post
I would be inclined to say it's a coincidence...lots of mold spores; ragweed, grass and oak pollens in the air right now that can trigger sinus issues. And they can trigger migraines as well.

Like LBAR, I find that stress coupled with eating trigger foods more frequently causes migraines - for me, raw onions, garlic, shallots, and any foods with nitrates/nitrites (cured meats, aged cheeses) or any significant changes +/- in caffeine intake.

==============================
On the fields of friendly strife are sown the seeds that on other days and other fields will bear the fruits of victory.
Gen. Douglas MacArthur

Posts: 3106 | Location: Houston | Registered: December 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Headache after eye dilation is not uncommon, acc. to the Mayo clinic:

quote:
Eye irritation or reddening may occur. Drops that are strictly mydriatics, with no cycloplegic drug added, like phenylephrine, dilate the eye for several hours. The side effects of pupil dilation are light sensitivity and blurred vision. Headache and pain in the brow can also occur, according to the Mayo Clinic.
Dilation Headaches

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16266 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Itchy was taken
Picture of scratchy
posted Hide Post
I hate getting dilated. 2 years ago, the retinal scan became available for $30, I did it and I was very happy. It's covered by insurance now.

Posts: 3999 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dilation seems to last extra long for me with head ache and blurry vision. I always get the Doc to write me a slip for a day off of work. I work nights and can't do my job in shades. Sux....

Posts: 389 | Registered: February 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Probably a coincidence. However,
wiping the tonometer and other eye touching equipment is insufficient to sterilize it. They don't seem to be concerned.
Look up 70 percent alcohol and see what it's evaporation time is and compare to the time it takes to disinfect.

Posts: 1397 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I didn't get any glasses that day, just the test. I am still waiting for the glasses to be done. It might be coincidence I guess with the sinus'. I just never had migraines that bad before. Thanks for the input.

Posts: 6840 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have had migraines all my life. I later in life started having sinus infections and headaches.
My natural Dr. told me that some of my migraines are caused by too much light or light sensitivity.'I cannot remember having migraines after getting my eyes dilated though.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Aquabird, I have had similar experiences,especially and unfortunately, with my computer. After a while I got visual issues, as in blurred vision to my peripheral area and white spots surrounding that area, I believe due to the bright screen. Even if I tone it down, it does not make much difference. I am close to 50 and can only imagine how well I will hold up later on.