SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone drive a Volkswagen Jetta?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone drive a Volkswagen Jetta? Login/Join 
Picture of BrianC
posted
I've been looking at buying a (probably used) car. I haven't driven a Volkswagen since I had an old Beetle back in the day. They seem like well made cars. any thoughts?

"Television is called a medium because nothing on it is well done." -- Fred Allen

Posts: 11139 | Location: Here. Now. | Registered: August 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
I have a GTI. I really like it. I've had it eight years now (but with low mileage), and this is my third. No major breakdowns. It does use some oil.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
I had one for 10 years. Routine maintenance, and never had one thing go wrong with it.

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11108 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
I had one from 1994 to 2005. It was a solid little car and completely reliable. I have no experience with the current models though.

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
They're definitely larger both inside and out than they were a decade ago. Nice engine options, too. You can't really go wrong with one.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
quote:
They seem like well made cars. any thoughts?

They were in the 'final four' when SWMBO was car shopping.

After driving a couple of each of the finalists, she settled on Legacy Subaru, after 22 years in a Volvo 850.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9854 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by signewt:
They were in the 'final four' when SWMBO was car shopping.

Beware though, wags WILL ask you if your sister knows you're driving her car.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3448 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
The 2.5 engines are solid with a great mix of power & economy.

Posts: 13812 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
I had a 5 speed manual 1985 Jetta which was a great car.... but it was a long time ago.
But not as long ago as my 1973 VW Super Beetle.
Smile

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24108 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BrianC
posted Hide Post
My first car was a 1967 Beetle. They had an old on display at the dealer; I had forgotten how small they were.

"Television is called a medium because nothing on it is well done." -- Fred Allen

Posts: 11139 | Location: Here. Now. | Registered: August 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Syngin1066
posted Hide Post
I had a 2006 Jetta 2.5 manual. Decent car, it did everything well. They seem to develop oil leaks and there was an issue with a wiring harness where it passed through the A pillar. They rubbed and you got airbag lights. VW replaced the harness (recall). I had the car for 8 years and put 100k on it. All in all, no complaints.

All I've had all day is like six gummy bears and some scotch...

Posts: 4851 | Location: Celina, TX | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
I have a 2016 GTI Autobahn edition and had a 2008 Golf/Rabbit S before that. You need to probably give some more information such as years you are looking at, and how much you're going to spend. There are a few years to avoid here and there.

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2268 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
I turned my 2013 Jetta TDI lease in last year. I was really happy with it since it was reliable, great fuel mileage, spacious, and it had a huge trunk.

I've been a VW fan forever, and I'd probably get another. I've had three beetles, a Dasher diesel stationwagon, a Golf, a Tiguan and that Jetta. I was happy with all.

Retired Texas Lawman, now active reserve

Posts: 1170 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
We've got a 2011 VW Jetta that we bought new and just sits in our garage. It's my wife's but it rarely sees the road anymore.

It's been good to us. Only has like 25k miles, though.

Now that I think about it, we should maybe sell it.

Posts: 5072 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I owned a 2015 VW TDI and drove several loaners while my TDI was in the shop for warranty repairs. (A/C issues mostly)

That said, some of the older Jetta gas motors required Premium fuel, but lower HP newer ones get along with RUG. Some of the older (2014-5) Jetta's I drove were dogs.

Older VW car repairs at the dealership can be costly.

Also, it seems that Arizona Pack Rats love the taste of VW car wiring. Look underneath the car you wish to buy for crappy wiring repairs.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought a 2008 Jetta 2.5l new back in late 2007 and was very happy with it. I traded that car with 120k in 2015 for a 2016 Jetta and I also have a 2016 Passat( my driver). So far for the money you seem to get a lot out of those cars. I will say the 2.5l jetta was a great driving car in a manual , the 2016 lack a little bit but still a nice car for less than $16k new.

Posts: 2121 | Location: Central TX | Registered: February 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Normality Contraindicated
Picture of italia
posted Hide Post
We have an '07 Jetta with the 2.0 liter turbo engine and DSC dual clutch transmission. Bought it new and it's been a really good car.

------------------------------------------------------
Though we choose between reality and madness
It's either sadness or euphoria

Posts: 2988 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ewills
posted Hide Post
The Mrs. has a 2013 Jetta GLI. 50K on the clock and zero issues. Changing the DSG trans oil is a little bit of a pain, but doable. Good gas mileage and quick for an inexpensive sedan. I keep trying to trade her my Cayenne for it since I commute much further, but she won't have it.

Posts: 308 | Location: NOVA | Registered: February 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife has a 2013 Jetta TDI for her ~70 mile daily round trip commute. When on occasion that I drive it, I find that the handling is very good, and the acceleration if also very good for a diesel. She gets about 45 mpg commuting with it. I haven't had the fix done on it yet. I'm still sitting on it, as I have until September of 2018 to decide on the fix or buyback. One thing I'm exploring is not having anything done at all(it's my car, and it ain't broke, so why fix it?).

Posts: 1474 | Location: Washington | Registered: August 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a 97 manual that been special ordered with leather that somebody wrecked for me. Had almost 200k on it no issues. Then I lucked into a 99 manual Golf ( same drivetrain) it had so many miles on it when the odomoter quit. That one had a few more issues and the trans seal started leaking and a friend who happened to be a vw tech a dealership looked at it and said yeah metal shavings in that trans oil. Big $$ way more than car was worth with 150-200k on it so I got 500 in trade value on a 2010 auto with the 2.5. Bought on 2013 July 4 clicked 50k on the way home traded it November 2017 for my truck with 85k on it. No issues. I may have bought a battery. Dealer i traded to have ne what I owed ~4K$ on it so I basically rented it for 200$ a month for 4 years. If I could find a little used one for cheap I'd buy it if it was under 4K and acceptable miles as a commuter

Posts: 4764 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post