SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Update, I was offered the job and will be a Texan soon
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Update, I was offered the job and will be a Texan soon Login/Join 
Picture of Syngin1066
posted
Ok, what is the good and bad? Any areas to avoid? I’ll be getting an apartment, any places the brain trust can recommend. Good gun shops? Good eats? I’m sure I’ll have a bunch more questions.

Thanks in advance.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Syngin1066,

All I've had all day is like six gummy bears and some scotch...

Posts: 4851 | Location: Celina, TX | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the promised land. Frisco is currently enjoying a growth boom! Plenty of shopping local and close by. Home to the Dallas soccer franchise as well as the Cowboys training center. Frisco roughriders AAA ball team also has a stadium there. You shalt not be bored by any means. Frisco is one of the few cities in the country that has managed to keep that small city atmosphere while continuing to grow. Everything is extremely convenient especially on the south side close to Plano--shopping, hospitals, sports, parks, schools, libraries, and recreation. The water and air are good. People are friendly and the community is friendly. Jobs are abundant. Even the roads are nice and wide and very smooth! The police and fire departments are great-- if you ever need them, they are there within minutes. Couldn't think of a better place to live. Concealed Carry is a breeze to obtain.

Posts: 13808 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the area. I am in Mckinney, just up the road. Frisco, Mckinney, Plano is a great area to be in. The real estate market is pretty hot right now and a sellers market. Lots of companies relocating to this area. Not much downside besides property taxes and traffic.

Frisco gun Club is the local Guntry club with very nice facilities. If you like it a little more low brow, there is The Bullet Trap. They also own the Frisco gun club.

Eagle Gun Range is very nice and relatively new. Have not been there yet, but friends love the Farmers Branch location.

Then there is the food. We have it all. You have to go to Babes for the fried chicken. Then there is everything else. Part of the fun is exploring the restaurants to see what works.

Have fun and enjoy. Welcome to Texas.

It's all about clean living. Just do the right thing, and karma will help with the rest.

Posts: 1113 | Location: The Republic of Texas | Registered: April 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
I have a cousin in Frisco I recently visited. Everything you’ll need is in Frisco. If you have to travel to Dallas for work it’ll suck. Traffic is reminiscent of ATL traffic. Dallas suberbs. Good side of Dallas to be on...

Posts: 6011 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I remember Frisco of 30+ years ago when it consisted of a fruit stand at the stop light and 3 whore houses owned by the sheriff (supposedly). It’s been cool to watch it transform into what it is now.

Housing and apartments are expensive. I don’t know of any bad areas. It has just about everything you could want or need. Except the whore houses. Smile

Posts: 3953 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Take the risk or
lose the chance
posted Hide Post
Plano has several good gun stores. The Dallas Arms Collectors Assn. puts on several first class gun shows at Market Hall each year.

----------------------------------------
“The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”

Posts: 1475 | Location: RR12 | Registered: February 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Sig Armorer is moving into his new shop in Frisco.

Posts: 1181 | Location: DFW Metromess | Registered: May 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Find a restaurant called 3 Stacks....

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nighthawk
posted Hide Post
Now you can buy any pistol, rifle, magazine capacity, that you want, no worry about some govt agency coming after them next week. Welcome.

"Hold my beer.....Watch this".

Posts: 5933 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
If you are a cigar guy...you are home, my friend.

Industrial Cigar - Frisco

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12325 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diversified Hobbyist
Picture of Steve 22X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Syngin1066:
Ok, what is the good and bad? Any areas to avoid? I’ll be getting an apartment, any places the brain trust can recommend. Good gun shops? Good eats? I’m sure I’ll have a bunch more questions.

Thanks in advance.

Kenny's Burgers for fresh 1/2 lb burgers cooked to order.
Or if you are adventurous, they offer a 3 lb burger. Smile
They have locations in Frisco (small) and Plano (larger with better parking).

As sig226fan mentioned Babes is another good choice.

The train museum is also located in Frisco.
Good place to see a Union Pacific Big Boy as well as other locomotives.

Gun shows within an hour or less drive are held almost every weekend.

Traffic can also be heavy during the rush hours if commuting into or out of the area.

If you get an apartment, try to get covered parking.
The hail storms that often occur in spring can literally destroy a vehicle.

-----------------------------------
Regards, Steve
The anticipation is often greater than the actual reward

Posts: 2463 | Location: Wylie, Texas | Registered: November 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Syngin1066
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone for the info. The office is in Frisco, how far away is too far to look for apartments?

Posts: 4851 | Location: Celina, TX | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
Regarding distance, this is what I would look at as far as limits

West - Grapevine
East - Wylie
South - Plano /Richardson border
North - Mckinney maybe Proper depending where in Frisco, the North tollway can be a pain.

Depending when you leave the drive can be 20-45 minutes, before 7 is pretty good after 7:30 you are looking at a longer drive

Robert is getting a shop.....great news that his business is taking off!

Thanks for the train museum info, I have lived here for 6 years and never knew....I know where the boy and I are going this weekend

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Syngin1066
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the feedback. I’m flying out tomorrow for the interview, which is more of a formality than an interview. Hopefully, I’ll be a Texan by choice very soon. Sorry, don’t think I can be a Cowboys fan though...

thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
We moved last year from McKinney, the next town over. Had only been there 6 years after a move from Bham, but loved it.

There are so many apartments in the area I can't imagine being outside a 5 mile or so area unless you just want to live somewhere else. As noted, traffic is a challenge at time, but if in the immediate area not as bad.

If you'll be flying any, I'd lean towards the west side of the area just for convenience to DFW.

I'd happily move back to the area, it's got much of the best of most things other than hills and curvy roads. The brisket will change your life.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12413 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Syngin1066
posted Hide Post
Well, got back from the interviews and I was offered the job. Looks like I’ll be a Texan soon.

His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Congratulations!

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19657 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Syngin1066:
Update, I was offered the job and will be a Texan soon.

Thanks in advance.

Texas is a YUUGE country, ya know? Razz

Q

Posts: 26371 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Texans are generally friendly folk (take it from a transplant 37 years ago). Just one thing to remember--don't tell Texans how you did things back where you came from! If you have a positive suggestion to make, make it sound new.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Take the risk or
lose the chance
posted Hide Post
WELL SAID, flashguy!

----------------------------------------
“The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”

Posts: 1475 | Location: RR12 | Registered: February 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post