SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Report: Fallen Air Force Tech Sgt. Approved for Medal of Honor
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Report: Fallen Air Force Tech Sgt. Approved for Medal of Honor Login/Join 
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted
While it was believed Chapman was killed in the firefight, Predator drone footage coupled with video feed from an AC-130 showed a grainy image of Chapman still living up to an hour after his teammates left the area.

He would go on to kill more enemy fighters, engaging one al-Qaida fighter in hand-to-hand combat.

https://www.military.com/daily...ved-medal-honor.html

Report: Fallen Air Force Tech Sgt. Approved for Medal of Honor

The U.S. Air Force is set to posthumously award the Medal of Honor to an airman for the first time since the Vietnam War, according to an exclusive report from Task & Purpose.

The White House will award Tech Sgt. John Chapman, who was killed in eastern Afghanistan in 2002 while serving as a radioman with Navy SEALs, the highest award for military valor in a ceremony later this year, T&P said on Friday.

The Air Force would not comment on the report, and referred all questions to the White House. The White House did not immediately respond to a Military.com query and did not confirm any details to Task & Purpose.

In 2016, then-Air Force Secretary Deborah Lee James reportedly pushed to elevate Chapman's award. Chapman was posthumously awarded the Air Force Cross in 2003.

Chapman's final hours in Afghanistan were unveiled in new details first obtained by The New York Times. New evidence from drone footage showed that Chapman fought al-Qaida fighters alone on a mountainside after his unit departed, the Times said.

Chapman, a combat controller, was attached to SEAL Team 6 team during Operation Anaconda, a large-scale attempt to clear the Shah-i-Kot Valley of al-Qaida and Taliban forces. The team's task was to establish an outpost on Takur Ghar at the top of the mountain.

Due to timing delays, the helicopter carrying the team arrived to al-Qaida forces waiting for them and took heavy fire. During the assault, one SEAL, Petty Officer 1st Class Neil Roberts, fell out of the MH-47 Chinook. The helicopter crash-landed about four miles away.

Chapman soon after began calling in airstrikes from AC-130 gunships circling overhead.

According to his Air Force Cross citation, Chapman "then directed the gunship to begin the search for the missing team member. He requested, coordinated, and controlled the helicopter that extracted the stranded team and aircrew members."

Chapman eventually returned on another Chinook with five SEALs to rescue Roberts on the hillside, which would become known as "Roberts Ridge."

Advancing into the region, the tech sergeant would engaged and kill two enemy personnel, and exchange fire with multiple fighters from all around.

"From close range he exchanged fire with the enemy from minimum personal cover until he succumbed to multiple wounds," the citation said. "His engagement and destruction of the first enemy position and advancement on the second position enabled his team to move to cover and break enemy contact."

While it was believed Chapman was killed in the firefight, Predator drone footage coupled with video feed from an AC-130 showed a grainy image of Chapman still living up to an hour after his teammates left the area.

He would go on to kill more enemy fighters, engaging one al-Qaida fighter in hand-to-hand combat.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
Good for him. Great effort. A real hero.

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arabiancowboy
posted Hide Post
Awesome news, scandalously overdue in my opinion.

Posts: 2399 | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
a true badass and a real hero

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I’m glad his heroism is finally being recognized.

Posts: 26904 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
wonderful news

about time

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53177 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
That's horrible, left behind still alive. Frown

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What happened to, "No man left behind?"

Officers lives matter!

Posts: 3265 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: February 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Surrounded by
Fruit Loops
Picture of Baran
posted Hide Post
Great news and well deserved.

As far as left behind maybe you should read what happened and see what happened. Under heavy attack and he appeared to be dead. More than half the team was wounded. I am sure you two keyboard warriors would have already pissed your pants.

The seal who was with him when it happened was a career seal and a is very highly regarded individual.

http://www.businessinsider.com...n-afghanistan-2018-4

The split-second decision made by Chief Slabinski to evacuate the peak, in the years since, has remained controversial, which he acknowledged in his interview with The Times: "They're going to say: 'Yep, it's all your fault. You left him up there, behind, alive,'" Slabinski said. (Slabinski could not be reached for comment on this story).

Some in the combat controller community certainly see it that way, according to one CCT source, although others chalk it up as a tough call amid the fog of war. The latter view is held by Chapman's sister, Lori, who doesn't fault Slab for his decision to withdraw.

"I'll never ever believe that Slab left him there on purpose," she said. "He truly believed that John was dead. And then they did what they needed to do to keep from getting killed themselves."

Posts: 1523 | Location: Happy Valley, MA | Registered: November 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Tech Sgt. John Chapman

Grant that MAN the recognition he deserves.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31439 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Baran:
I am sure you two keyboard warriors would have already pissed your pants.

Perhaps. But these real warriors seem to agree.

quote:
Some in the combat controller community certainly see it that way,

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Where there's smoke,
there's fire!!
Picture of techguy
posted Hide Post
I don’t know anything about military operations so I’m probably speaking out of turn but I’m surprised that a special operations unit would leave somebody behind. I probably just watch too much tv as I said I have no clue about the military.

Posts: 1773 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: February 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Easy there Hondo, no one was pointing fingers or blaming anyone. What you posted just backed up what I said, he was left behind. And that's horrible.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
Was this Hero's body subsequently recovered?

tac

Posts: 11321 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Seems to be a bit of controversy over this in the special forces community. I remember reading this story when it came out, and I am glad to see TSgt Chapman is now up for the MOH. His body was recovered according to this NYT article.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/0...n-left-for-dead.html

"Sergeant Chapman had enlisted in the Air Force as a computer technician, but soon found that he was not suited to a sedentary lifestyle. A former high school diving and soccer star from Windsor Locks, Conn., he transferred into the elite ranks of the Air Force Special Operations Command as a combat controller, a job that involved calling in airstrikes and handling radio communications for SEAL Team 6 and other secretive units."

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
He earned the award based on his actions going into the rescue.

No sure why it took so long to get to this point, I realize it is an extreme process, and not privy to the facts, as well as the award approved, my opinion on that matters not.

As far as After Action. Such discussions need be closed door and all facts gleaned and used as lessons learned, release information as appropriate and by law, and we move on, but never forget. No good comes of "public discussion" during that process or in the process of dealing with it in the moment.

And my post is mostly rhetorical, because it is likely that is what comes.

FWIW, there are people in the ranks who may be in the group but were not there and therefore make the same judgments and offer the same opinions as most people, and I know all too well how some folk's "assessment and opinion" are baseless.

The only people who know for fact, were there and God, and God ain't talking.

Thank you TSgt. Chapman, for walking tall.

May you surely, Rest in Peace.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43879 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tacfoley:

tac

The story link that Airman Jeff provided references an autopsy being done to assess wound patterns, so it seems that his body was recovered afterwards.

Edit: story definitively says the body was recovered later that day

Brave man.

<><
America, Land of the Free - because of the Brave

Posts: 1936 | Location: Goodbye, so. Fla. | Registered: January 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tacfoley:

tac

As cited from the nytimes article airmanjeff posted.

“His body, which was recovered later that day, had nine bullet wounds, five below his waist and four above. The sequence of the injuries is not known. But the two fatal rounds entered at what would have been an impossible angle had he been killed where the SEALs said he had fallen, according to people familiar with the Air Force briefing.”

Posts: 4756 | Registered: July 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of spunk639
posted Hide Post
Damn Few,
Fair winds and following seas,Airman.

Posts: 2774 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire for effect
posted Hide Post
Well said, Sigmonkey.

"Ride to the sound of the big guns."

Posts: 7210 | Location: South Georgia | Registered: May 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post