SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Passenger at checkpount with loaded gun!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Passenger at checkpount with loaded gun! Login/Join 
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted
As noted in the article, this happens with regularity. What about this common incident makes it newsworthy? I saw it on TV and heard it on the radio. Does "Ruger" make the gun more sinister? It was loaded with 10 rounds of 22!

http://www.fox35orlando.com/ne...nternational-airport

Posts: 7453 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
We had 2 this week at the Norfolk, Va airport. One of the offenders was a police officer. How do you forget you have a loaded firearm in your carry on??

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1865 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
Does the offender being a dummy make it newsworthy? That or the disruption to thousands of travelers due to his carelessness.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5907 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
BWI is setting a new record. How do you forget???

http://www.wbal.com/article/28...s-years-record-total

TSA Officers Catch 25th Gun At BWI, Surpassing Previous Year's Record Total

Tuesday, December 26, 2017

A Baltimore man was arrested at BWI Marshall Airport on Tuesday morning as Transportation Security Administration officers surpassed last year's record total of seized weapons at the airport.

An officer spotted the loaded 9 mm handgun in the man's carry-on bag, officials say. He was then arrested by Maryland Transportation Authority Police, who confiscated the weapon, TSA officials said.

It was the 25th weapon detected by TSA officers at BWI this year. That's one more than last year's total, and the most ever caught at BWI in one year. The 24th gun was seized at a checkpoint last week.

For information on how to properly travel with a firearm, check with the TSA and consult your airline. Anyone who brings a firearm to a checkpoint could face criminal charges as well as federal civil penalties of up to $13,000.

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What surprises me the most is TSA actually finding anything! Their track record is beyond horrible and yet when they do stumble upon something prohibited they act like they just saved the world from utter destruction.

Mongo only pawn in game of life...

Posts: 683 | Location: DFW | Registered: August 15, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fiasconva: How do you forget you have a loaded firearm in your carry on??

No idea. It's not like nylon bags are so expensive that a guy needs to use the same one for a range bag and carry on. Just stupid.

Posts: 8955 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pbslinger:
It was loaded with 10 rounds of 22!

You mean high-velocity rifle rounds?

Smile

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Puckpilot78:
What surprises me the most is TSA actually finding anything! Their track record is beyond horrible and yet when they do stumble upon something prohibited they act like they just saved the world from utter destruction.

Even the idiots at TSA would be hard pressed to miss a gun going through the X ray machine.

Posts: 2484 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fiasconva:
How do you forget you have a loaded firearm in your carry on??

It's not all that difficult actually.

I used to carry a bag to and from work that I kept a PM9 in with an extra magazine. It just lived there all the time. Never had to think about it because I knew it was there kind of thing. One day I was heading into the airport with said bag loaded with a bunch of carry-on stuff to catch a flight. About halfway in I remembered the pistol and returned to my truck to stow it. Didn't think to also leave the mag. They found it.

It's easier than one might think and the frequency that it happens doesn't surprise me at all.

Posts: 20098 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
It would be more interesting to know how many they didn't catch. Wink

From the OP's linked article:

"In 2016, 3,391 firearms were discovered in carry-on luggage at 238 of the nation's airports in 2016, an increase of 28 percent over 2015, the report shows. Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport topped the list with 198 incidents, followed by Dallas Fort Worth International Airport at 128. The Tampa and Orlando airports had 79 and 86, respectively, putting them on the TSA's top 10 list for firearms discoveries at checkpoints."

Posts: 4010 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post