SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Advice on Beds Following Surgery
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Advice on Beds Following Surgery Login/Join 
Picture of Censored
posted
Looks like we are going to have to buy a new bed following my GI rearrangement surgery. I am going to have to spend the rest of my sleeping life, sleeping at an angle. I don't want to have to shop for beds. What experiences has everyone had regarding motorized beds that adjust to different angles?

Posts: 2223 | Location: United States | Registered: February 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Does it have to be various angles? My grandmother raised one end of her bed 8 inches after surgery with a pair of cinder blocks. Not classy, but she was, shall we say, frugal.

Posts: 17144 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't know what type of GI surgery you had I can only relay my experience. A year ago I had emergency surgery for a perforated small intestine. I could only sleep in a recliner for two months and even then sporadically. It did eventually get better to the I point am now sleeping in the bed again. Wish you the best.

Posts: 7 | Registered: October 17, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of katndog
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure, but I'd ask the hospital's case manager/social worker. They deal with medical supplies alot

Posts: 2629 | Location: CT | Registered: October 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing what I want,
When I want,
If I want!
Picture of beltfed21
posted Hide Post
Censored, you might look into a Tempur Pedic. They now have a power angle option.

Best of luck my friend!

"On the other side of fear you will always find freedom"

Posts: 2667 | Registered: January 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
email sent.

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8353 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have temperpedic and they are nice but EXPENSIVE also try them as they have several different firmness levels. My wife wanted the firmest and after 30 days we replaced it under their exchange policy for something softer. Also check your insurance and see if they will cover some of the cost if your Doctor says you have to have an adjustable bed. Good luck.

It's kids like you, who make this bus late.

Posts: 884 | Location: Weirton,WV | Registered: April 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
Unless the mattress is sagging, you could probably get away with supportive devices which keep the pressure off your stomach. You can find affordable wedges and rolls which will support your knees and keep the pull off your abdomen. Look at amazon and bed bath and beyond.

Posts: 5301 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by katndog:
I'm not sure, but I'd ask the hospital's case manager/social worker. They deal with medical supplies alot

People have had this issue before. Yes, the patient discharge plan must address this. Then: What bed are you in now? Does it work? What do the PT and OT people say. Ask about a support group that has the same issues. Find out what they use.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
FWIW, this site has some pretty good information and comparisons on the various options out there.

http://www.sleeplikethedead.co...ess-review-home.html

Posts: 4756 | Registered: July 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
None of the below is for medical reasons. I was having a lot of middle back pain from spending too much time side sleeping (or watching TV on my side).

One of the best mattress threads of 2017 had a recommendation for the forum The Mattress Underground. This is so much better than reading ratings on Amazon, Costco, etc. as they actually break down the layers and their quality. Not a big deal if you're 150 lbs, but a huge deal if you're over 200 lbs. The link above is specifically for their bed in a box (do yourself a favor and spend the time reading), and if you're over 200 lbs make sure it says "suitable for any weight range"

I ended up going with Sedona Sleep's Base Mattress and Topper Combination. Actually have a different density of talalay latex on each side of the bed (can be used for his/hers or back / side). I've had it since December and I'm very happy.

My base is from Costco and it's a Sleep Science Split King Adjustable Base. I like sitting up to read and watch TV. I fall asleep most nights in the zero gravity position, and sometime in the middle of the night hit the flat button to side sleep the remainder of the night. Like the mattress, I've had it 4 months and I'm very happy. One thing that surprised me is that Costco's white glove service is a division of Schneider National (the trucking company).

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23247 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Censored
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the info and advice. I am favoring trying the raise the head option first. It will not be a problem to get a script, just not sure what insurance will do yet.

I should have mentioned that I was diagnosed with esophageal cancer in late December of 2017 (another post). I recently finished chemo and radiation at MD Anderson. Surgery is penciled in for April 26th (pending PET/CT results). The surgery will really change the dynamic and structure of the upper GI system. This is why we are looking at bedding options. I am currently sleeping with a wedge, which causes problems with me sliding down to the bottom of the bed.

I also am grateful for the emails and advice. This is what makes this a really good forum.

Posts: 2223 | Location: United States | Registered: February 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post