SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    VW advice.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

VW advice. Login/Join 
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted
I have always liked the VW SUV's. Considering the Tiguan. The compact SUV. Given their problems with the emission standards their overall value seem to be down a bit. Many used units in the market right now. A brother in law who is a Suburu racing guy doesn't like them. Cites high cost of ownership and repair costs. Wife is concerned that will lead to higher insurance costs.

Agree? Disagree? Anyone here own VW? What do you say?

Posts: 7506 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
My every day car is a VW GTI. I’m on my 5th. Never had any issues but I lease so I’ve never had one past 3 years.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
I put 312,000 miles on a diesel VW over the course of 13 years.

I sold it to a family member, and it's still going.

Your mileage may vary Wink

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11446 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I did the "VW buy back" with my 2015 VW Golf TDI.

But, while I owned it the A/C compressor was replaced in July 2016 and a couple of sensors went "Kaput" a few months later. All covered under warranty with a free loaner provided.

Local Pack Rats decided to munch on wiring underneath car. Dealer good-will warranty covered the repair.

I do regret not buying the full option VW Passat TDI for a few thousand $$$$ more instead of the Golf which gave me a rough ride on Tucson's crappy streets.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I used to be a big VW fan, but the last one I had soured me on the company. A Passat, it was a comfortable, nice driving car.

During the time that I owned it, I was driving a dealer's service loaner for much of the time while it was in the shop for warranty work.

The problems were mostly electrical. Windows that opened and would not close. Door locks that worked sometimes. Charging system and battery. It seemed that no sooner was one problem solved, than another popped up. Or, a previously solved problem would return.

A non-electrical problem: tires. It was generally acknowledged that the tires that had been specified for the new Passats at the time were not up to the job. I had a blowout, leaving a golfball size hole in the sidewall while relocating from Raleigh to Birmingham. I stashed the car with a service station in Conyers GA, continued the trip in a rental, called VW of North America (there importer) and told them to pick the car up, put appropriate tires on it, and let me know when it was ready, and reimburse me for the rental. They did all of that.

Warranty service was always performed and a loaner or rental vehicle suppled at no cost to me other than aggravation and inconvenience.

I was a nice vehicle, or it would have been, if it were reliable. I dumped it the week that the warranty expired.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Was that you
or the dog?
Picture of SHOOTIN BLANKS
posted Hide Post
I've owned two Jettas and a Passat. The Passat was problematic. Both Jettas were great. The 2015 Jetta was a TDI buy back this past spring and I went in a very different direction but really liked the car. They just announced that 2018's will have a transferable 6 year/72,000 bumper to bumper warranty. Pretty solid.

Posts: 1628 | Location: PA | Registered: February 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I briefly considered, not a Tiguan, but a Touareg. Don't know how much correspondence there is between the two. And I was looking later model used, vs. new.

Couldn't find what I was looking for, but abandoned the search fairly quickly because I was coming away with the distinct impression the average repair history on their SUVs was not all that great.

Coupled with the fact that the only interesting solution would have been the dishonoured TDI powerplant, and I decided to go a different direction.

Like I said: I was looking used. ±2014 area. Ran across this, which gives kind of a capsule summary of the pros/cons of what was available that year: SUV Throwdown: Best Mid-Size SUV of 2014

At a cursory glance: The Tiguan appears to be more a compact crossover, not unlike my wife's Chevy Equinox, than an SUV. So I think first you have to make certain you know what it is you're seeking: A crossover, which is more a "sedan in an SUV-ish form-factor," or an actual SUV, which is going to be more capable under challenging road conditions and off-road.

I like my wife's Equinox well enough--it's quite a nice, but I wanted, for myself, something more rough-and-tumble capable.

FWIW: Here's my "SUV search" thread: Porsche Cayenne? Or Perhaps A VW Touareg? Nope: Jeep Grand Cherokee. Perhaps your criteria are different, but you may find something useful in it.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
Not sure if you have noticed but the Tiguan is being liquidated right now because the 2018 are coming out. You can get a brand new 2017 Tiguan S for $14000. Also have you considered the GTI? Interior room isn’t much different and it’s 10000 times more fun to drive

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
Not sure if you have noticed but the Tiguan is being liquidated right now because the 2018 are coming out. You can get a brand new 2017 Tiguan S for $14000

Isn't pretty much everything being slashed for clearance, right now, for that reason?

I got my JGC for $5,000 under KBB value, and the beast's in nearly showroom floor condition, with 12 mos. or 12k still on the manufacturer's warranty. And still they knocked another $200 off the price to make up the difference between their financing rate and the one our CU would have given me.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
Not sure if you have noticed but the Tiguan is being liquidated right now because the 2018 are coming out. You can get a brand new 2017 Tiguan S for $14000

Isn't pretty much everything being slashed for clearance, right now, for that reason?

I got my JGC for $5,000 under KBB value, and the beast's in nearly showroom floor condition, with 12 mos. or 12k still on the manufacturer's warranty. And still they knocked another $200 off the price to make up the difference between their financing rate and the one our CU would have given me.

Yes but the Tiguan is $8-9k off of msrp

Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
I've had 3 classic beetles, a Dasher diesel station wagon, a golf, a Jetta TDI and a Tiguan, so I have a little experience with VW.

I loved the Tiguan, and I would probably love the new one even more due to the interior updates and cargo size. It never had any problems, but the fuel mileage could have been better, I was always waiting for the diesel version, but they never introduced it here in the US.

I'm still peed-off about the emissions mess, but at least they compensated me for it.

My next VW purchase will probably be a used low mileage diesel Touareg, which I've seen a few of while researching for a vehicle earlier this year.

Retired Texas Lawman, now active reserve

Posts: 1160 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
:^)
Picture of BillyBonesNY
posted Hide Post
Drove a Tiguan all over Burgundy a couple years back, great gas milage and somewhat lively handling.

I'd sure buy one if price was right.
I currently have a 2012 Passat, great car.

----------------------------------------
http://lonesurvivorfoundation.org

Posts: 7177 | Registered: March 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
The 2018 Tiguan is very nice. New 2018 vw's also have a 6 year/72k miles bumper to bumper warranty. Was about to trade the wife's CR-V in on one until she started a Dave Ramsey money class... Frown

I had a 2008 Rabbit/Golf with the 2.5 for 122K miles and only issue was a failed door latch replaced under warranty.

Currently have a 2016 GTI and it's been perfect for 14K miles. A brother has a 2016 GTI with about 30K miles without issue. They are good cars (Golf/GTI has been on Car&Drivers top 10 list last few years). Don't see the maintenance as overly expensive either. If I had a dollar for every anti VW person that always says that same exact thing...

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2263 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Never, ever buy a New Beetle.

My daughter-chan was given one by her aunt CJ and uncle Bill.

Holy Moly!

It is bloody hard to work on, you definitely need a Ross-tech code reader, you need to find after-market resources and parts, and it's hard as hell to work on.

Some "free" car. I spent about $3500 over four years on repairs, all of which I did myself.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31382 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
I bought a 2017 Golf Sportwagen in August. So far, no complaints.

Posts: 4006 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I owned a 2005 Touareg for 10 years & traded it for a Tiguan AWD. 2 years of Tiguan ownership has produced zero problems. I am more of a sporty driver & do not care for the 2018 Tiguan. It is more of a crossover than a sport SUV.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4251 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a 14 Passat TDI. Love it. Our heater core went out and was promptly replaced under warranty while we where given a new lot car as a loaner for the day. Its smooth comfortable and brilliant on mileage. I'm very sad that they wont bring any new TDIs to the market though I certainly understand it. My hope is that they will begin again by the time we need a new car.

Posts: 3041 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not if you plan on keeping it past it's factory warranty. Otherwise $$$$

Posts: 437 | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post