SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Call blocker for iPhone
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Call blocker for iPhone Login/Join 
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted
I am receiving spam calls every day from a range of numbers that begin with the same 704-609-###. I block each one after the call but they call again with another number.

It's a recording.

Does anyone us a call booking App that can cut these off before they come in? It's just annoying.

Thanks all.

Posts: 12920 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
It's Amy. Talk to her. She likes to discuss her wardrobe.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
I haven't yet found a call blocker for the iPhone that works worth a shit. I tried the stuff built into the O/S, it doesn't work worth a shit either. Good Luck,

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rocket72
posted Hide Post
I thought one of my co-workers said her work phone, an iphone, was saying something when a call was coming in about it being a suspected spam caller. I got a new android phone the other day that does say 'suspected spam caller' when one of those calls come in. As far as my phone goes, there was no app I downloaded. It just does it. I have no idea how.

Posts: 1537 | Registered: July 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
Same/Similar discussion here:

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/7180030034

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6852 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR025
posted Hide Post
I was getting tons of calls, last week I downloaded "Hiya" and seems to be working. I did the settings where if you receive a suspected fraud, spam, etc it will not ring and go straight to voicemail.

Posts: 841 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 04, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
AT&T has one called Call Protect. I just started using it recently. Not sure what to think of it yet.

AT&T Call Protect

Posts: 89 | Location: North Texas | Registered: August 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SR025:
I was getting tons of calls, last week I downloaded "Hiya" and seems to be working. I did the settings where if you receive a suspected fraud, spam, etc it will not ring and go straight to voicemail.

I use Hiya too. Works good. They have a version for iphone too

https://hiya.com/downloads

Posts: 7398 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
Another positive vote for the Hiya app! It really works.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MtnPlinker
posted Hide Post
The Hiya app is well reviewed. Just make sure you agree with the terms before using:

* You agree to Facebook's std terms AND

* You agree to give access to your entire list of contacts... to Facebook.

As much as I despise spam calls, I cancelled the app install.

Posts: 1962 | Location: Front Range CO | Registered: April 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Almost as Fast as a Speeding Bullet
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
I've been using Truecaller with good result on my Android.

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon

Posts: 11502 | Location: Denver and/or The World | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Otto Pilot:
I've been using Truecaller with good result on my Android.

This thread made me look up the AT&T app but i saw it's only got 2 stars. Truecaller has 4 1/2 stars and is available on iphones too.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19658 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You can't go
home again
Picture of LBAR15
posted Hide Post
I've been using nomorobo with great results. The only calls it doesn't block are ones that come from the same area code and exchange as my own number. those come through but are flagged as junk. I would say it's cut down on the spam calls by about 70% which is great in my book. I was getting several a day.

---------------------------------------
Life Member NRA

“If you realize that all things change, there is nothing you will try to hold on to. If you are not afraid of dying, there is nothing you cannot achieve." - Lao Tzu

Posts: 4635 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: June 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MtnPlinker
posted Hide Post
I just installed TrueCaller on my iPhone (thank you for the posts above). The terms and conditions appear to respect privacy much better than Hiya.

Looking forward to less spam calls.

Posts: 1962 | Location: Front Range CO | Registered: April 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
Let us know how well it works because I need something also!

Posts: 4585 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Use the Nomorobo app. It's gold!

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6998 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dry-fly:
Isn't that two bucks / month?

How about the free ones?

Has anybody tried both HiYa and TrueCaller? If you have tried both, can you tell us how they compared? Which one did you settle on, and why did you choose that one?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR025
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:

How about the free ones?

Has anybody tried both HiYa and TrueCaller? If you have tried both, can you tell us how they compared? Which one did you settle on, and why did you choose that one?

I chose hiya over Truecaller because there was an option to send all spam, scam, fraud callers straight to voicemail and block them. I didn't see where that was available on truecaller.

Posts: 841 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 04, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SR025:
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:

How about the free ones?

I chose hiya over Truecaller because there was an option to send all spam, scam, fraud callers straight to voicemail and block them. I didn't see where that was available on truecaller.
Very strange. I have HiYa, current version, on an iPhone 6 Plus, current version (10.3.3) of iOS. I have that option selected: send known bad calls straight to voicemail, do not ring. But the phone rings anyway. Yes, the display shows that HiYa "knows" it is a bad call, but it allows them to come through.

At least this way, I know it's Amy calling and I can answer the call appropriately if I want to, but the calls are not going straight to voicemail.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Picture of SR025
posted Hide Post
Weird yours still rings. I have been using hiya for about 10 days. Went from about 12 calls a day to 1 in the last 10 days. Has been awesome especially since it's free.