SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Chrysler develops the flammable automotive water pump
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chrysler develops the flammable automotive water pump Login/Join 
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
It must be an electric pump, probably an auxiliary pump to keep the flow through the heater core up at low engine speeds. No way a conventional water pump can catch fire.

Posts: 27956 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
It must be an electric pump, probably an auxiliary pump to keep the flow through the heater core up at low engine speeds. No way a conventional water pump can catch fire.

Likely so. My lightning has an electric water pump for the intercooler.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30408 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Audioholic:
Fire
In
A
Truck

!?

Fix
It
Again
Tony

I always wondered where Yugo's engineers ended up ...

Failed
Italian
Attempt at
Technology

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Most likely the problem.

My departed Golf TDI used an electric water pump to cool the Turbocharger when I shut down the motor.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I'd be very leery of a Ram 1500 with a Fiat (VM Motori) diesel, not that I could or would buy one anyway.

Posts: 27956 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
...but it's a water pump so it can put itself out.....

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29696 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
My Nephew has one.
The original asploded then the replacement asploded within 6 hours of leaving the stealership.
Leaving him stranded in Texas. The stealership did NOTHING to help him.
Nothing.

My older brother replaced the pump after towing the truck to South Georgia.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39752 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The turbo encabulator was the last good thing to come out of Chrysler. Its been all down hill since then. Really sad.

Posts: 512 | Location: Pearland, Tx | Registered: June 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post
quote:
IDK what the pump is made of, but what if it was made of magnesium, heated by a seized bearing? Auto ignition might explain it. I know of magnesium water pumps on motorcycles, although I'd think the CTD pump would be aluminum.

Posts: 5755 | Location: Fort Heathen, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
FCA has developed the flammable water pump. That's a real breakthrough.

A piece of equipment that small that can separate hydrogen and oxygen atoms, then create combustion, is genius. If the military gets it, it will give a whole new meaning to the term "water cannon".

Posts: 8623 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dividing by zero
since 1966
Picture of rekstrom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikito:
The turbo encabulator was the last good thing to come out of Chrysler. Its been all down hill since then. Really sad.

Are there any helpful videos on this subject?

Posts: 2952 | Location: between locations at the moment | Registered: October 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of whitebb
posted Hide Post
That simple old fashioned green stuff is a OAT coolant.

Posts: 257 | Location: Lawrenceville, Ga. | Registered: January 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by whitebb:
That simple old fashioned green stuff is a OAT coolant.

Well, no. It sure ain't.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30408 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Was on my way to a domestic call when my Charger started losing power and people behind me were telling me there was smoke under my car. Yep. Alternator burned up.

No Chryslers for me.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8020 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rekstrom:
quote:
Originally posted by Mikito:

Are there any helpful videos on this subject?

Yes. Depress and release the dingle arm and it should load presently...

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29696 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
High standards,
low expectations
Picture of Surefire
posted Hide Post
Isn't the 6.7 a Cummins?

The reward for hard work, is more hard work arcwelder76, 2013

Posts: 5252 | Location: Edmonton AB, Canada | Registered: July 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing a thing or two
about a thing or two
Picture of hray
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Surefire:
Isn't the 6.7 a Cummins?

Yes It's the 6.7L cummins. I have a 14 and had the water pump go out around 40K. It was warrantied and was given a rental, as I was a few hours from home. On cummins forum there is a long going thread with water pumps going. I don't recall any of the post stating the water pump caught fire. Any way I have herd theories of it could be the materials / construction of the water pump it self, left over sand from casting, Regen process of DPF / heat, and the serpentine belt is to tight. I lean towards construction material cause I believe the impeller is plastic but not 100% on that. It's warrantied to 100K and my understanding they will inspect not replace all of em. I'm sure Chrysler / Fiat Spec some things out on the cummins motor and I'm pretty sure the 6.7L cummins leaves the cummins plant with the water pump in place so who knows the actual responsible party on this. Hray

This message has been edited. Last edited by: hray,

P226 NSWG
P220 W. German
P239 SAS gen2
P6 1980 W. German
P228 Nickel
P365XL
M400 SRP

Posts: 1141 | Location: South Miami Dade | Registered: May 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing a thing or two
about a thing or two
Picture of hray
posted Hide Post
After watching the 2,000,000 cummins built video I think I stand corrected on water pump leaving cummins with water pump. Hard to tell. Let me see if I can embed it

P226 NSWG
P220 W. German
P239 SAS gen2
P6 1980 W. German
P228 Nickel
P365XL
M400 SRP

Posts: 1141 | Location: South Miami Dade | Registered: May 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post