SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Chrysler develops the flammable automotive water pump
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chrysler develops the flammable automotive water pump Login/Join 
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted
FCA has developed the flammable water pump. That's a real breakthrough.

Fiat Chrysler Automobiles is recalling 443,712 Ram pickup trucks in the United States for faulty water pumps that can potentially catch fire, the company said Tuesday.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37931 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A true WTF Moment, isn't it?

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Link?

Posts: 13735 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of billnchristy
posted Hide Post
It's a feature

------------------------------------
My books on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/William-...id=1383531982&sr=8-1
email if you'd like auto'd copies.

Posts: 17916 | Location: Lawrenceville GA | Registered: April 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You can't go
home again
Picture of LBAR15
posted Hide Post
LMAO! The one in my Jeep could never catch fire, it is always leaking! One extreme or another over at FCA.

---------------------------------------
Life Member NRA

“If you realize that all things change, there is nothing you will try to hold on to. If you are not afraid of dying, there is nothing you cannot achieve." - Lao Tzu

Posts: 4635 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: June 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
Recent FCS products; Hellcat, Demon and now flammable water pumps. Coincidence?

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11749 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Intergalactic Firearms Expert
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
FCA has developed the flammable water pump. That's a real breakthrough.

The New Orleans Sewerage & Water Board has had them for years.

PersonalDefenseTraining.net

Posts: 100 | Registered: May 28, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wonder if they actually made their own or bought them from another com.

When I worked in the auto industry(not Chrysler) we made our own and then suddenly stopped and started buying them from another company.

Of course at one point early on after we started buying them, we had a huge recall. It cost our company lots and lots of money to change out all the pumps that had been made for many months and were all over the company. We sent guys from our plant to docks on the coast to change pumps in cars there.
They were going to make the company pay for that ordeal, but the company just went out of business instead. Then they scrambled to find another company ASAP to buy pumps from.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leemur:
Link?

http://www.freep.com/story/mon...re-hazard/681464001/

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37931 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bought a new Chrysler in the late 70's. Over heated on the way home. No impeller on the water pump.

Posts: 7010 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Leave it to those fux at Chrysler to develop such a cluster. Forget meth, Chrysler....NOT EVEN ONCE!!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21074 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ulsterman:
Bought a new Chrysler in the late 70's. Over heated on the way home. No impeller on the water pump.

Some time in the mid-80's Chrysler was the only company making a convertible in the US -- the infamous K-car. My unmarried aunt was in the market, called me for advice, and I suggested she look at an Olds Cutlass just to compare build quality, before deciding on the K. She called me again a couple days later, almost in tears because she could see how crappy the Chrysler products were, compared to the Olds. She bought the Olds.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wreckless
posted Hide Post
It is just the HD trucks with the 6.7 liter engine. No worries for the 5.7.

La Dolce Vita

Posts: 543 | Location: SW Florida & SNJ | Registered: July 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
Leave it to those fux at Chrysler to develop such a cluster. Forget meth, Chrysler....NOT EVEN ONCE!!!!

No kidding. And I'm now getting a nice introduction to their new retarded high mileage coolant which is completely incompatible with any other coolant. Seriously, why reinvent the wheel? What was wrong with the good old green stuff?

Something tells me they simply wanted to advertise a selling point that their cars can go ten years without needing a coolant flush. Well, my Jeep made it three years, and I'm already seeing crud in my system. Roll Eyes

Not to mention that the dealership yesterday topped off my expansion tank with the green, incompatible stuff which I luckily caught and had them suck back out. Unreal.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
...their new retarded high mileage coolant which is completely incompatible with any other coolant. Seriously, why reinvent the wheel? What was wrong with the good old green stuff?

That may be a leftover from their Daimler/Mercedes days. I had a 2001 M-B C320 that used the incompatible clear coolant, too, so I suspect that's where they came up with the stupid idea.

Oh, and not only was is incompatible, I remember it being pretty damned expensive as well.

-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
quote:
No kidding. And I'm now getting a nice introduction to their new retarded high mileage coolant which is completely incompatible with any other coolant. Seriously, why reinvent the wheel? What was wrong with the good old green stuff?

Did they start using GM Dexcool?

Posts: 5733 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
Chrysler + FIAT = Yugo.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16119 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost Allman Brother
Picture of S600MBUSA
posted Hide Post
Flammable parts seem to be FCA's specialty these days. Recently got notice that my '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee possibly has a faulty alternator whose diodes could short-circuit and cause a stall or even a fire. Had it at the dealer the other day for a different recall and they said the alternator fix won't be ready for approximately 6 months. Roll Eyes

quote:
Statement: Alternator Diode
FCA US LLC is voluntarily recalling an estimated 442,214 vehicles in the U.S. to replace their alternators.

Certain alternators supplied to the Company may be subject to premature diode wear following frequent load cycling, at or near maximum amperage, in hot ambient temperatures.

The diode wear may cause illumination of an instrument-cluster warning light and/or the presence of a burning odor or smoke. Customers who observe these warning signs should contact their dealers; continued vehicle use may result in engine stall.

Premature component wear may also compromise function of a vehicle’s anti-lock braking system (ABS) and/or electronic stability control (ESC). However, basic braking capability is unaffected.

FCA US is aware of two potentially related accidents, but no injuries.

-Winston Churchill, writing of the Pashtun

Posts: 3989 | Location: Holly Springs/Canton, GA | Registered: November 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1967Goat:
quote:

Did they start using GM Dexcool?

My Jeep takes the purple colored OAT coolant. Labeled as 10 year/150,000 miles.

The previous stuff (pre-2012 I think) is HOAT, is orange, and is labeled as 5 year/100,000 miles.

Mixing these together is a big no no apparently.

FIAT also uses an OAT coolant but there's is orange. Chrysler started dyeing the orange stuff purple so there wouldn't be confusion with the HOAT which is also orange. From what I'm reading though, the dye fades out over time, and the coolant will look orange in certain lights leading to confusion and ultimately the wrong stuff being added to many systems. What a ridiculous cluster.

I just ordered a gallon of OAT from Amazon for about $25. I think the dealership sells it for like $50-60 per gallon.

But on the recommendation of other members from a previous thread, I may try and do a complete flush and just refill with the good old green stuff. Of course, the manual calls for OAT, so I just need to be darn sure that no one in the future adds the wrong coolant, like the idiotic dealership.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Did you come from behind
that rock, or from under it?

Picture of Audioholic
posted Hide Post
Fire
In
A
Truck

!?

Fix
It
Again
Tony

I always wondered where Yugo's engineers ended up ...

"Every time you think you weaken the nation" Moe Howard

Posts: 2048 | Location: Out standing in my field. | Registered: February 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post